The January 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The January 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess with Celtic's poor form and early exit from Europe, Edouard may be touted around to bring some money in. We definitely need another striker and were heavily linked in the Summer. I'm struggling to think of many other decent ones who will be available in the next window.

I was just pointing out tongue in cheek really that Ireland is only Europe when it suits when they want to use it for anti-Brexit purposes its Europe.

After Brexit, (December 31st), it is going to be doubly difficult to sign any European player, so the January and Summer windows are going to have to be confined to either British players or, players already in Britain.
So I guess that is going to restrict offers for a left back to players like Henry of Brentford or Saka of Arsenal or one of the Sessegnon brothers, Steven at Fulham and Ryan at Spurs.
A centre back replacement for Bjorn Engels, who lacks pace in the premiership, would most likely be between Axel Tuanzebe and some undiscovered gem from the lower leagues.
The scouts in the UK should be looking for possible replacements for Luis and Barkley, just in case. I'd prefer a bid going to Norwich for Buendia, who can cover all the midfield spots and could work well besides Luis or Nakamba, releasing McGinn further forward where he could link up with JG again.
As has been mentioned Wesley is on the way back but, I get the feeling he will not be ready till the end of February/beginning of March. In the meantime Traore can do the loan striker role if Ollie gets injured. I can't see Celtic's Edouard being willing to come as back-up.

I'd guess with Celtic's poor form and early exit from Europe, Edouard may be touted around to bring some money in. We definitely need another striker and were heavily linked in the Summer. I'm struggling to think of many other decent ones who will be available in the next window.
What would he bring to us though when we’ve just spent £30m on a striker who’s already scoring goals? Seems like it would be a pointless signing in all honesty.

What would he bring to us though when we’ve just spent £30m on a striker who’s already scoring goals? Seems like it would be a pointless signing in all honesty.

Possibly, however many seem to think we need another striker. If Ollie goes down injured we are left with Keinan who lasts about 2-3 games before picking up an injury, Wesley (if he is fit) or putting a winger up there. Our starting 11 is pretty decent, but our squad lacks any strength in depth. GK & RB are probably the only positions we are well covered

When the Baggies finally get relegated we could try and take Perreira off them. He's looked decent the few times I've seen them, by far and away their best player

Seen a few rumours of Jesse Lingard doing the rounds, available on a free transfer next summer and Man Utd want a fee for him this Jan.

Previously valued at 36m, currently valued at 12m but will be half that this Jan, Right winger, 24 appearances for England 16 in the Champions League, still only 27, 28 this month.

Hasn't really played this season which suggests his time is up, still managed 40 appearances last season in various comps, only managed 2 assists and 4 goals in those 40 games, although in real time it's more like 21 games if you add the minutes up and divide by 90.

So contributing 6 goals in 21 games at a club like Man Utd is quite poor for a winger and the abundant chances he'd get, out of those created/scored he only managed 1 goal in 22 games in the Premiership.

For me I wouldn't touch him, he managed 8 goals and 6 assists out of 33 games in 17/18 but for me there's no consistency, and I think we're already stuck/stock piling a few right wingers who in my mind aren't good enough for us.

We should be above Man Utd cast offs at this stage, especially the ones that are extra rubbish

I don't know, I'd take Axel and Dan James, their cast-offs are far better players than some we have. They have a team of Lazy arrogant players Like Pogba and Martial who OGS has to play because they are the star signings.
Problem is their wages and attitudes could be a problem ie billy big bollocks who see every other club in the country if not the world as a step down

I don't know, I'd take Axel and Dan James, their cast-offs are far better players than some we have. They have a team of Lazy arrogant players Like Pogba and Martial who OGS has to play because they are the star signings.
Problem is their wages and attitudes could be a problem ie billy big bollocks who see every other club in the country if not the world as a step down
I think they must have a few “cast offs” who’d look good for us (e.g. like Jonny Evans does for Leicester) but I also think there’s this typical Man U hype where mediocre players are suddenly world class just because they play for Man U. I’m thinking of players like Tom Cleverley who was an England regular before he signed for us on loan, but we all saw how mediocre he was and his career has slid quickly since then. And as per your point about wages and mentality I think that’s definitely an issue, Lingard for example is a decent player but I’d be a bit worried that he’d be a bit of a Stephen Ireland type signing if he came to us... you’d have to be very selective about the personality your bringing in.

Also I’ve mentioned before & appreciate it wasn’t the main point of your post but I just don’t get this obsession with Tuanzebe, he was good for us... in the championship.. and we’ve moved on with Konsa. Tuanzebe’s career has stalled since due a lack of game time so it would be one to avoid for me

Status
Not open for further replies.