High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 7 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

Well that's Poundland gone in York. Friends daughter just did her last shift on Friday

The high street is just essentially a showroom for internet shopping

Have to agree Fulford. So much easier to click buttons, no queue's no faffing about etc. Even if you do click & collect it saves so much time. Your in and out, not having to source stuff in the shop

HMV in trouble again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46699290

Trouble is you can get your music streamed or for people like me who still like a physical cd to purchase, from Amazon cheaper and delivered. If I wanted a cd from HMV I'd have to go up to the Kingfisher Centre, park (£1.50) and go and get it (usually more expensive than Amazon). On a busy working day, it's just easier to get next day delivery and not have to go out.

I did mention to the Kingfisher centre last year that they should give 30 mins free parking to shoppers who just want to nip up, get something to support the shops (as opposed to shopping online) and get back out again.

The snottiness of the answer said it all, made me think fine, sod it then and made me feel very negative about them. It is basically an indoor 'high street' and they don't have a clue how to support the shops there by making it interesting for shoppers to go there.

Feels like the tip of the iceberg (again) to me this. The market uncertainty from Brexit and the way the world seems ill at ease at the moment (Trump, Putin, riots in France, Assad etc etc) just points to another recession.

Interesting article, Councils buying shopping centres. The High Street has never been so at risk, it has to radically change, putting nice eating places, gyms, and other offices in and around shops makes sense, even some residential stuff, anything to get people back into the centres.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46625912

Interesting article, Councils buying shopping centres. The High Street has never been so at risk, it has to radically change, putting nice eating places, gyms, and other offices in and around shops makes sense, even some residential stuff, anything to get people back into the centres.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46625912

It's a nice idea on paper, but a bit like shutting the stable door. As long as people can get stuff online cheaper, delivered free (or very cheaply, often next day, plenty even same day now) then they'll take the route of least hassle.

High streets have been well and truly fucked over by the internet, and not been helped by sky-high business rates as councils try to plug gaps in their budgets from central government austerity. The business rates in Stratford, for instance, are astronomical and it really is no surprise that many of the prime units in town are either empty, run down or charity shops. Those that are occupied are largely cafés and restaurants.

As you mentioned earlier, the parking situation does nothing to help. All the street parking in Stratford is metered with no 30-minute grace period for quick visits. Multi-storeys are a rip off so it's no wonder people head to out of town retail parks where they can park for three hours (or whatever) and have a decent range of shops and eateries.

Sad times, from which I don't think the 'High Street' as we understand it will ever recover.

Think I said it before however the high street which is already in the process of, will look nothing like what we know today and the past, in 50 years time

It will consist of gyms, sport halls, hair and beauty salons, maybe the odd central bank, garages, cinemas, theatre's, coffee shops, restaurants, pubs and anything else you can't do online.

The rest will have been turned into homes, flats, apartments, muses and parks for peoples to relax and have community in

Last edited:
Agreed JPA. Stratford is amongst the worst, parking restrictions meaning people don't even have time for a quick shop and a cuppa, let alone relax and have a meal.

Debenhams have closed down one of their two shops in Malaysia.

Now I only have one shop to buy bargain underwear and socks from when the sales are on.

I got two short-sleeved and one long-sleeved shirt, a pair of trousers and 5 three-packs of underwear for £13 the other day. No wonder they are closing down.

Feels like the tip of the iceberg (again) to me this. The market uncertainty from Brexit and the way the world seems ill at ease at the moment (Trump, Putin, riots in France, Assad etc etc) just points to another recession.

I think the levers that central banks can pull this time around will not be as effective.

Wonder if the UK will suffer a post Brexit recession?

I think the levers that central banks can pull this time around will not be as effective.

Wonder if the UK will suffer a post Brexit recession?
All we see in the news is another retailer or restaurant chain in trouble. Even ASOS, probably the most successful online fashion retailer had a recent profit warning so I think there a signs consumer spending is slowing down and with Brexit uncertainty it wouldn’t be a surprise to see business investment grinding to a hold or in some cases large scale movement of jobs abroad. On top of that there are global trade concerns all over the place especially China / Asia. JLR are cutting 5000 jobs in the new year because of all of these issues and I’m sure other companies will follow

Another crash on the way and debt both household and national is even worse this time. If you have been following the economic commentators they have been saying this for over a year. The scary thing this time is that household debt is through the roof. People getting houses and cars they can't really afford and when it goes bang there will be tears before bed time. The politicians swill not admit it until it's too late in order to maintain market confidence.

Live below your means, stash cash, avoid debt slavery and enjoy your health and family x

I hope we all laugh at our pessimism in a years time. Even if we do, I'll still never understand why this gamble - for no major gains that I can see - has been taken.

History will not judge these politicians well.