High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 9 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

ASOS shares are worth a punt, very cyclical in their price - if you can ride out some potential poor sales figures this year they’ll bounce back to where they were over the next few years.

Put money into utilities firms as prices only go one way

I’ve wonderered what would happen IF Labour got in and IF Corbyn is leader and IF he nationalised the utilities - say Severn Trent - what would happen? Would they pay market price, a discounted price or nothing at all. I don’t remember a time when industry was nationalised but I have shares in STW

I'm guessing they would pay the going rate + a moderate premium to keep the major shareholders quiet

Hope so, that’s my expectation anyway. Good income stock, as long as a Labour government doesn’t crash the price of it through talk of nationalisation.

My Sainsbury's shares which have been flatlining for 10 years may nosedive now but it's the right decision to stop that merger with Asda.
I'm all for going back to The independents , the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker .

I wonder if the CMA would allow a form of takeover, but with considerable store sales, to take them below 25% market share. That would be a good 100 Asda stores, if not more.

Coupe was obviously in cloud cuckoo land when he said the merger would allow a merger to reduce prices by 10% - that would be a £5bn investment. Buying synergies might give you 1-2% in additional margin which is say £1bn - so the maths would never work in the interests of consumers.

The Asda brand is strong - you wouldn’t want to lose it surely - but that means effectively two back office functions with small savings.

Ultimately they were never going to lower their prices as their average index across the two busienss versus Tesco is probably at parity.

Not followed closely today but the decline came from the proximity of so many stores to each other, as well as petrol ranks from a price competition point of view, and there was talk of closures to ensure they didn't automatically jump ahead of Tesco - so I can see that point.

I lost interest in whoever started ranting about unfairness (CEO of one of them, assuming Sainsbury) owing to the fact he went straight to Brexit with the implication US based Walmart wanted out and there would be no other buyers in the current climate.

It appears those who claimed massive hypermarkets would end the independent high street were spot on and having subtly raised prices regularly in recent years given the market was clear and they'd enticed in and got people on habit, the next round is to promise an uber supermarket is better value - until they have no competition either and then start raising prices once again.

Then again, if the competition commission are now applying a different standard as claimed, they should absolutely complain.

Sits here wondering how long it takes local Councils to realise 'rates' in this day and age are stupid, scraps them, and we see the high street potentially make a come back, providing a level of convenient competition the uber supermarkets can't.

So a bunch of MP's worried that high streets could become ghost towns are suggesting online retailers are taxed higher which no doubt would be passed onto the customers. Twats.
Why not reduce business rates for high street retailers , give them the same breaks "charity" shops get .

These big "charities" are getting away with murder , hiding behind a false illusion.
CEO's and board of directors all on 6 figure salaries
The bulk of donations spent on PR / marketing / spin
Often as little as -5% of donations reach what the charity pretends to be - donkeys/snow leapords/children/dogs/cats etc.
It's an absolute disgrace. Where are the advertising standards agency ??!!!

Debenhams into administration. Mike Ashley takeover attempt blocked.

Be a massive hit to the kingfisher shopping centre if they go, as marks and Spencer has already left for the ridiculous Longbridge superstore.

Agreed danvilla, maybe a slight move back away from technology when it comes to books. Must admit, I only ever read a printed book, not an online version. Think I spend enough time looking at screens.

Now Thomas Cooks too: As it stands (or sitting as I am now) I am in a very long phone queue which I have been on for 50 minutes as it stands, to my credit card company to reclaim the £400 of my flights to Kefelonia next June with Thomas Cook. Just glad over the expensive things I have always heeded the advice and paid by credit card.

Once I have finally got through these, I will be booking new flights with a new company as I am sure I am not on my own for this, and others will be looking to rebook with other flight companies, too.

If your booked with Thomas Cook I am sure the good people of Vital already know what to do, however just incase and for anyone who just reads, here is the link for sorting out a refund

https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-c...lidaymakers-as-travel-firm-collapses-11814715