The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 52 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

First time post on here, very rarely post on the internet at all, but decided to sign up to say how impressed I am with the appointment of Steven Gerrard so far.

Since my adult years of supporting Villa (I am now 49) I haven't been this excited since Martin O'Neill was appointed which surprises even myself, because Gerrard hasn't really proven himself, but, the way he has conducted himself since coming and the way he conducted himself at Rangers is simply outstanding in my opinion. At first I was concerned we had gone the Tim Sherwood route but the more I look into Gerrard's time at Rangers and with the Liverpool Youth the more impressed I am and have total faith in the owners etc. to do the right thing.

I love Dean Smith for what he did, but I really do think he took Villa as far as he could have done. The money spent and the results just didn't match up, I think it's 11 Premier League wins out of 35 games in 2021 which I think is the same as Leeds a team promoted a year after us, which can only be down to Bielsa because they haven't spent £325 million like we have, I don't really think this is improvement personally. I get really frustrated when TV, radio, internet pundits etc. blame the last five games because something was obviously wrong a lot longer than that. I wish nothing but the best for Smith at Norwich unless it involves us.

Steven Gerrard, I am almost certain, will improve the squad, he demands perfection, he has achieved a lot and that guarantees respect. If I was a young lad in the Villa changing room and Gerrard walked in I would be so determined to please him, you could see the way the Rangers players celebrated with him and dedicated goals etc. to him that he had created a fantastic team atmosphere there.

I am 100% all in with support for Gerrard and am very surprised at people wanting him to fail, I just cannot see the sense in it.

First time post on here, very rarely post on the internet at all, but decided to sign up to say how impressed I am with the appointment of Steven Gerrard so far.

Since my adult years of supporting Villa (I am now 49) I haven't been this excited since Martin O'Neill was appointed which surprises even myself, because Gerrard hasn't really proven himself, but, the way he has conducted himself since coming and the way he conducted himself at Rangers is simply outstanding in my opinion. At first I was concerned we had gone the Tim Sherwood route but the more I look into Gerrard's time at Rangers and with the Liverpool Youth the more impressed I am and have total faith in the owners etc. to do the right thing.

I love Dean Smith for what he did, but I really do think he took Villa as far as he could have done. The money spent and the results just didn't match up, I think it's 11 Premier League wins out of 35 games in 2021 which I think is the same as Leeds a team promoted a year after us, which can only be down to Bielsa because they haven't spent £325 million like we have, I don't really think this is improvement personally. I get really frustrated when TV, radio, internet pundits etc. blame the last five games because something was obviously wrong a lot longer than that. I wish nothing but the best for Smith at Norwich unless it involves us.

Steven Gerrard, I am almost certain, will improve the squad, he demands perfection, he has achieved a lot and that guarantees respect. If I was a young lad in the Villa changing room and Gerrard walked in I would be so determined to please him, you could see the way the Rangers players celebrated with him and dedicated goals etc. to him that he had created a fantastic team atmosphere there.

I am 100% all in with support for Gerrard and am very surprised at people wanting him to fail, I just cannot see the sense in it.
Welcome to the forum, A good first post but the last line spoilt it no Villa fan anywhere want any manager to fail.

If you really want to fit in on here , maybe some less sensible posts will do the trick. !!!

Welcome by the way

Welcome to the mad house 👍
You'll soon learn talking sense and being upbeat is frowned upon :throw::wave:

I did notice Purslow slime him during the conference saying Gerrard had promised him he would improve us - clumsy language perhaps but shiny suits tend to clear the path for blame ahead of them well in advance and I thought it was a bit out of order.

It was the lack of improvement that was given as a reason for Dean’s dismissal so this seems to be buzzword that is a target without having to specify a target. But Gerrard’s ‘promise’ to improve us is the least we should expect anyway, wouldn’t be much good if we got worse ha!

well i liked what i was hearing from him he's going kick sum butts sort sum of the players out he knows the defence aint been good enough . Feeling positive

Yep, but a bit worried about what he did say. Effectively, from the results it was clear that the defence was mis-firing (20 goals shipped, 3rd for most goals shipped) but the attack would be fine because we were 8th (actually 9th) in terms of goals scored (14).

To me, 8th in terms of goals scored isn't good enough; we were far better last season, and we need to be to get into the top half. We have a major problem there which he has to solve.

In spite of our defensive record, to me that's simply Dean playing with formations and tactics and easier to solve. Get the back line doing what it did last season and get the midfield performing better.

To be fair, there was at least one poster on here that said that a loss against Southampton would be a good thing so that the club would sack Smith.
Tbf,if a Saints defeat meant the demise of Deano,then if that is for the betterment of the Villa,that's a sound position to take. .Can't help feeling that recruitment was poor this season inasmuch as we didn't get the midfielders we so clearly needed. Ward-Prowse a big miss and as good as Danny Ings is, the team have looked unbalanced. Welcome Stevie G(never thought I'd say that) and good luck Deano,thanks for that miraculous promotion,Wembley glory and some great days.

Really amazing they sacked Dean on a Sunday and came up with a list of 20 managers, narrowed it down to 4 interviewed or rather spoke to all 4 and selected and appointed Gerrard all in 3/4 days. If you believe that you believe anything .
They all looked a bit sheepish and on edge telling the story.

Exactly what I was thinking when I heard 20 ! Either we have created a world record in hiring the earliest after interviewing 20 candidates or it was predetermined that it was always going to be Gerrard and feeding us pure BS. Frankly, I don't care as long as I see him do what he should.

Really amazing they sacked Dean on a Sunday and came up with a list of 20 managers, narrowed it down to 4 interviewed or rather spoke to all 4 and selected and appointed Gerrard all in 3/4 days. If you believe that you believe anything .
They all looked a bit sheepish and on edge telling the story.
Who's saying that the 20 were anything other than a desktop exercise and that Lange hadn't had that ongoing before Dean got the boot. The club easily could have had 4 names ready as Dean was being given the chocolate watch.

Interviews-wise, has anyone heard of Zoom, Teams, WhatsApp or Skype?

You guys and your conspiracy theories. Don't go changing.