The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 51 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

I wasn't keen on Gerrard's appointment but after watching the press call I was impressed. Certainly get the feeling he is letting them know he is the boss, what is expected of them and I don't think he will take any prisoners. Will not be surprised to see four or five players shipped out over the next two transfer windows

SG said all the right things but I couldn't help noticing how tense Lange, Purslow, and Gerrard looked during the press call?

Anyway, I'm tired of all the talking so letś get it on as my old favourite Marvin Gaye once sang.

SG said all the right things but I couldn't help noticing how tense Lange, Purslow, and Gerrard looked during the press call?

Anyway, I'm tired of all the talking so letś get it on as my old favourite Marvin Gaye once sang.

It certainly wasn't relaxed and I didn't like the way Gerrard played things down for the season either - struck me people know the axe is hanging and know this is a massive gamble that is only 50/50 on working out which is exactly where we were before with expectations spiking.

A win this weekend feels even more necessary for me just to lift spirits and hope.

It certainly wasn't relaxed and I didn't like the way Gerrard played things down for the season either - struck me people know the axe is hanging and know this is a massive gamble that is only 50/50 on working out which is exactly where we were before with expectations spiking.

A win this weekend feels even more necessary for me just to lift spirits and hope.
Mind you a lot of people were saying at the start of the season that a top half finish, all things considered, would be OK. I can't see why that would change.

Me, I don't think the 8th-5th slot is impossible. But it does depend on a lot of things clicking. Possibly too many.

Think many are a bit nervous, including on here. Nothing some good results won't cure.

Last edited:
Been reading about how the interview for the job was organised and went. It was certainly a tough one. It appears that Gerrard was extremely clear about what he was aiming for, how he would get there, and how he would start building from day one. I suspect it was a bit more than players tying their laces the right way.

In spite of the uncertainties, there is hope, maybe a huge amount of hope. Bring it on.

I wasn't keen on Gerrard's appointment but after watching the press call I was impressed. Certainly get the feeling he is letting them know he is the boss, what is expected of them and I don't think he will take any prisoners. Will not be surprised to see four or five players shipped out over the next two transfer windows

Agree.

I'm happy.

* for now

I think he's very smart to play down expectations right now - I suspect he knows that we're a couple of players short to be able to challenge for top 8 - notably on the left side of defence and central midfield IMO.

I did notice Purslow slime him during the conference saying Gerrard had promised him he would improve us - clumsy language perhaps but shiny suits tend to clear the path for blame ahead of them well in advance and I thought it was a bit out of order.

SG says he thrives on the pressure and I'm sure he does but there's regular football club pressure and then there's Villa pressure - I'm not entirely sure how that level of pressure always seems to arrive but it obviously does for both players and off the pitch staff, we've seen that dozens of times before.

I guess we must be a big club after all then, or we've got one of the most hostile crowds around - I guess it's a bit of both.

My spirits are lifted tbh - I expect this to go pretty well for the rest of the season although we've obviously got a pretty tough pre-Xmas run coming up which doesn't help.

Really amazing they sacked Dean on a Sunday and came up with a list of 20 managers, narrowed it down to 4 interviewed or rather spoke to all 4 and selected and appointed Gerrard all in 3/4 days. If you believe that you believe anything .
They all looked a bit sheepish and on edge telling the story.