The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

Can honestly say I haven’t a bloody clue whether this is going to work or not. Glad they’ve sorted it quickly so he can start working with the squad ASAP in preparation for Brighton. Ultimately we have to stop the rot and start getting points on the board especially with Man City, Leicester and Liverpool looming after Brighton and Palace. Two improved performances, full on commitment from the players and dare I say, two wins in those games and we’ll soon be celebrating him as the new messiah!
So….welcome to a fantastic football club Steve, a marvellous opportunity…the building blocks are firmly in place… you’re lucky to have us!

I don't get this fifa PlayStation stuff. It may seem like a new generation but that's because it is. The older generation of Wenger, Fergie, Pulis, Bruce, Allardyce et al are past it and the generation of players who have just retired from playing IE Lampard, Vieira, Rooney, Gerrard are now launching management careers. That's the market we're stuck with. There is mental baggage around them because their playing careers are still fresh in our memories but it's unavoidable really unless we want a Pulis or a Warnock.

Have you noticed with all those old managers you mentioned with the exception of arguably Bruce they were all pretty shite no mark players , you've listed the modern boys and they are all high profile players who like Stevie Bruce most likely will be no mark managers

Have you noticed with all those old managers you mentioned with the exception of arguably Bruce they were all pretty shite no mark players , you've listed the modern boys and they are all high profile players who like Stevie Bruce most likely will be no mark managers
It's possible that weaker players think more about the game to compensate, whereas the stronger players just think about their own game.

Some new manager trivia for you (especially if you like superstition)

Dean Smith kicked off his reign with a 1-0 win against Swansea at Villa Park who were managed by Graham Potter.

Steven Gerrard will kick off his reign against Brighton at Villa Park who are also managed by Graham Potter.

(I'll take the same result)

Stevie G has also never lost a football match at Villa Park - I'll take that run continuing too

:shrug:

I see pros and cons but I can't say I'm overwhelmed by this. I hope I'm wrong but short of hype and hope because of his name, I'm seeing nothing that screams DS step up that would immediately fix his obvious flaws.
There should be some immediate and straightforward fixes in terms of player selection, formation and tactics as Smith had completely lost the plot in this department

I see pros and cons but I can't say I'm overwhelmed by this. I hope I'm wrong but short of hype and hope because of his name, I'm seeing nothing that screams DS step up that would immediately fix his obvious flaws.
No in fact its going to give him a few days before he has to pick his first team and try and outsmart Graham Potter who has far more experience as manager but is virtually unknown as a player

There should be some immediate and straightforward fixes in terms of player selection, formation and tactics as Smith had completely lost the plot in this department

Depends if players are fit for Brighton. Only being able to select the team we'd all start for 35 minutes won't get any easier for Gerrard if they continue to be out.

Agree with all you said.

It's not a step up at all. Only in people's minds because he had a stellar playing career. Otherwise its a jobs for the boys from Purslow .

Ah yes Purslow .Head turd polisher. How is your three players to replace YKW philosophy going. Shambles from the club at the moment.

Depends if players are fit for Brighton. Only being able to select the team we'd all start for 35 minutes won't get any easier for Gerrard if they continue to be out.
Regardless of who's fit we should have a better formation, tactics and in game management that doesn't involve in game post it notes on the pitch