The Grim vs the Grecians | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Grim vs the Grecians

• Thread starter removed at members request
  • Start date
Our fans have always been moaning sods. Jewell would’ve been gone but for Whelan sticking by him. I’ve moaned about Maloney but I fear far worse would be to come if we got rid. He has an opportunity to build a team next season and deserves the chance, not many care about the club like he does.

What he said about wanting more intensity and players with pace made sense today when you saw how Kelman played. Hopefully we can see him bring in more players who fit in with how he wants to play and will see the team improve.
Jewell and Maloney mentioned in the same breath. Hopefully this mon isnt anywhere near this club with his awfull football and someone in the same mould as Paul Jewell is here next season so we can start to see football the Wigan way again.

can none of em carry a fecking ball these deys.
Sorry Brick! You must be getting the latics mixed up with the warriors
There were plenty screaming get a move on and get the ball forward constantly through that exhibition of shite in the first half.
I cant for one minute believe that this type of football is what our fans want to see.
Sorry but that first half and much of the football this fella forces on our players and for our viewing is offensive to good taste.
Garbage is a mild description..
Cos sadly it shows how neanderthal & prehistoric some of our fans are & simply do not have a clue.

Yes I agree it can be slow at times. But can't you see that Maloney is slowly (if you pardon the pun) attempting to bring players in who can play to his style & who are/will be quicker at implementing it.

No. Wouldn't picked them in first place.
I have seen enough now of those 3 to know roundabout-ish what you are going to get.

Clare is an absolute fuck up waiting to happen.

Adeeko appears not to know what to do if someone doesn't tell him and stands perfectly still like a rabbit in headlights when the defence are looking for an outball.

I have tried my best to back Josh but yesterday was a laughable low in his performance levels. He was only short of wearing a tutu with some of his prancing about...

All 3 were correctly hooked at half time but let us see if they reappear on Tuesday. We have the nucleus of a good team but there are most definitely some not good enough.

My observations from the game:

1. Too predictable - the opposition know that we ALWAYS play it out from the back so press high in numbers cutting off the "out" balls. Hence the monotonous passing across the back. A few variations wouldn't go amiss instead of flogging a dead horse for 45 minutes.

2. Charlie Goode is not the better option at the back, he is so limited when bringing the ball out and his only thought was to give it to Charlie Hughes straight away. Exeter were content to let him have the ball because there was no way he would advance with the ball.

3. I am a fan of Stephen Humphrys but he is not interested for some reason.

4. Early days but Charlie Kelman looks like he will fit in to Shaun Maloney's style of play and looks useful.

5. Our central midfield lacks any creativity without Matt Smith. We also need a "physical presence" alongside him.

6. Shaun Maloney could do something about 1 and 2 but his hands are tied in most other respects this season.
And how is 2 above different to when Morrison plays? All that Morrison ever does is give the ball to Hughes. The problem today was that we totally missed Matt Smith. There was no out ball to the midfield - even though I though Scott Smith tried to make himself available, but he isn't in the same class as Matt Smith, I'm afraid...

Cos sadly it shows how neanderthal & prehistoric some of our fans are & simply do not have a clue.

Yes I agree it can be slow at times. But can't you see that Maloney is slowly (if you pardon the pun) attempting to bring players in who can play to his style & who are/will be quicker at implementing it.
No Runcorn, not Neanderthal or prehistoric they just simply do not want to watch football played that way. They want to see the ball move at a greater pace, players move at a greater pace, the ball moved forwards in a variety of ways such as a mixture of long and short passes plus high or low passes. They want to see the ball played in to the box and our team pressing the opposition particularly at home. We even would like throw ins and free kicks to go forwards and free kicks in our own half to go into the box.
The quality of player he brings in will make no difference at all to him applying these basic tasks because he just does not want to play this way.

There were plenty screaming get a move on and get the ball forward constantly through that exhibition of shite in the first half.
I cant for one minute believe that this type of football is what our fans want to see.
Sorry but that first half and much of the football this fella forces on our players and for our viewing is offensive to good taste.
Garbage is a mild description..

In Maloney's post match interview he said it was correct to keep moving the ball side to side to seek an opening, and moving it forward all the time turned it into a game of Basketball.
Looks like it's his way or the highway

I just want some common sense - if your tactics worked so well last week against a top side - don't change the winning formula.
corect
if its firing well on all silinders dont tweek the engine. he changed the starting setup wich i think led to all this fannying around in midfeeld with all this bloody backwards sideweys shite..
and as sed erlier (think it mite of been hudwiganfan) it wernt poor reffing that led to the furst goal it were poor defending. as a result of having the rong pleyers in that setup.
for me. i think the reeson sean made 3 changes at half time is cos he tinkered but forgot wich pleyers he needed for the tinkering to work.
weve all seen what the teem can do. leeve well alone.

What he said about wanting more intensity and players with pace made sense today when you saw how Kelman played. Hopefully we can see him bring in more players who fit in with how he wants to play and will see the team improve.
prehaps this is whats part of the problem.
if hes seying the quiet bit out loud and this curent crop of pleyers are listening to what he seys. then weres the comitment to the cause he so wants. we no we need new pleyers in the next window. but dont sideweys tell your teem that there about to be replaced in the summer or chucked back into u23s ect.
and i dont acept that they shuld be pleying for there place in a future teem cos with this langage hes seying that theres holesale change coming round the corner.

He brought Clare in who the hell's style does he play ?- he would not get in a Sunday league side.

In Maloney's post match interview he said it was correct to keep moving the ball side to side to seek an opening, and moving it forward all the time turned it into a game of Basketball.
Looks like it's his way or the highway

Sadly I think he believes he facing some top class Italian teams. We are in league one ffs, the approach doesn’t need to be over complicated. The reality is we don’t have enough quality further forward to be playing this type of football. Jeff has summed it up perfectly this morning what supporters want to see.

He needs to realise quickly supporters dont want to watch this turgid shite. It’s supposed to be entertainment and there is very little of it on offer at home. We play that deep we are almost off the pitch. The gaps between the lines are too big and we rarely attack or maintain any type of pressure on the opposition. Even when we got back in the game yesterday there was no concerted effort to push players forward and create pressure. Exeter probably couldn’t believe their luck. Even when we get free kicks that could go in the box we just play it backwards and lose any opportunity of momentum. Corners rarely end up in the box. Everytime we get a goal kick the groans start as everyone knows what to expect and the opponents can’t believe their luck the amount of time they have to get set. Maloney needs to stop being so stubborn because he’s on the verge of turning the fans against him.

No Runcorn, not Neanderthal or prehistoric they just simply do not want to watch football played that way. They want to see the ball move at a greater pace, players move at a greater pace, the ball moved forwards in a variety of ways such as a mixture of long and short passes plus high or low passes. They want to see the ball played in to the box and our team pressing the opposition particularly at home. We even would like throw ins and free kicks to go forwards and free kicks in our own half to go into the box.
The quality of player he brings in will make no difference at all to him applying these basic tasks because he just does not want to play this way.
Did you not read the other part of my post. He has his hands tied behind his back at the moment, but has done his best trying to bring in some players who can adapt to his style & methods. Next season when the embargo is lifted, he will be able to bring in more players who are fast, quick & can play to the style. Then we'll see better football.

For the moment we are stuck with certain players we can't shift until the end of this season. You'll know the players I'm referring too.

But Jeff, the days of lumping it to Peter Houghton have long gone I'm afraid.

Did you not read the other part of my post. He has his hands tied behind his back at the moment, but has done his best trying to bring in some players who can adapt to his style & methods. Next season when the embargo is lifted, he will be able to bring in more players who are fast, quick & can play to the style. Then we'll see better football.

For the moment we are stuck with certain players we can't shift until the end of this season. You'll know the players I'm referring too.

We've been through this time and again you and me Runc, so in your post you are more or less saying we haven't got the players at the moment to play the way Maloney wants, so why does he persist in playing that way?
Wouldn't it be better to play to the strengths of the players we have, good attacking football that the squad will no doubt enjoy and has proved gets results.

To bring in the players he wants to play that system would cost a small fortune and I don't think Danson will rubber stamp any big transfer fees, so somethings got to give somewhere.

How many times on here have I said "play to our strengths?" Now you have more or less stated that others and myself have been correct with that view all along.

One thing I can thank Maloney for is the heads up he won't be changing the style of play that comment could save me a few quid when it comes to buying a season ticket for next season I doubt I'll be on my own either.

but runcorn nobody is asking for a return to the up and under (used a ref i thot youd relate to as you menteoned erlier). what we want is footy. proper footy. pasing forward with agresseon footy. wing footy. ball in the box footy and striker atacking footy. entertaning footy.
and unfortunatly i dont think that sean gets that yet.
and hes running out of time.

I think you’re deluding yourself if you suddenly think the chequebook will be opened and we’ll see an influx of quick ball playing players. They cost money. We won’t be spending much of it.

but runcorn nobody is asking for a return to the up and under (used a ref i thot youd relate to as you menteoned erlier). what we want is footy. proper footy. pasing forward with agresseon footy. wing footy. ball in the box footy and striker atacking footy. entertaning footy.
Yep, completely agree ... just like in the game before last ... we just want it again.

Who is he going to bring in next season. With f,,,,k all,to spend

Who is he going to bring in next season. With f,,,,k all,to spend
:arrghh:

So, let's have a think shall we ...

Generally considered shite (or at best, "meh":
Clare, Watts,

Generally considered a decent signing:
Morrison, Goode (may need his own category, as some seem to have flipped, shock horror !) Chambers, M Smith, J Smith, Shaw, Sessegnon, Godo, McManaman, Kelman (too soon maybe).

Whinging is far easier than being reasonable, but let's take the easy road eh?