The Grim vs the Grecians | Vital Football

The Grim vs the Grecians

C_Latic

Vital 1st Team Regular
As dour as it usually is, we do normally put away the rubbish in this league at home. Having already beaten this lot twice on the road, I expect nothing less than another win here. It'll help that good old Gary will have them trying to play pretty choirboy football rather than getting into our faces and having a go at us. Another 1-0.

As dour as it usually is, we do normally put away the rubbish in this league at home. Having already beaten this lot twice on the road, I expect nothing less than another win here. It'll help that good old Gary will have them trying to play pretty choirboy football rather than getting into our faces and having a go at us. Another 1-
They played us off the park twice and only their bad finishing, bad luck and desperate defending on our part got us the results, I hope the manager and players remember this, they actually did "get into our faces"

They played us off the park twice and only their bad finishing, bad luck and desperate defending on our part got us the results, I hope the manager and players remember this, they actually did "get into our faces"

The first Exeter game was bizarre, not sure I've ever seen us get battered that much and not concede a goal. That second half we seemed to play a flat back 10.

I forgot to add in the OP watch out for a young attacker playing for Exeter called Millenic Alli if he gets on the pitch. Signed from Halifax in January, a very good player and exactly the sort of Non League talent we need to be courting ourselves. Him and Yanic on either flank would make for a very uncomfortable afternoon.

Just watching Exeter play Peterborough.
Their back 3 look like headless chickens against Peterbough's press.
They look like they have never passed out from the back until yesterday and a passing triangle is some kind of musical instrument to half of them.

Some of the passes that Exter have attempted warrant a check to see if they have been drinking.

Edit: Amazing what a red card can do for a team .....a conifidence boost for Saturday as well.

Last edited:
Yes a real confidence booster….but Pboro were winning until they had a man sent off and then proceeded to score two ‘Own Goals’ ….the first one mind was ‘forced’ off the keeper by a great free kick.

Still don’t think we’ll be as generous on Saturday.

That said Exeter’s win along with Fleetwood winning at Bristol and Reading doing Stevenage on their own patch have made for an interesting set of results and have closed off what would have been a touch more breathing space for us.

Just watching Exeter play Peterborough.
Their back 3 look like headless chickens against Peterbough's press.
They look like they have never passed out from the back until yesterday and a passing triangle is some kind of musical instrument to half of them.

Some of the passes that Exter have attempted warrant a check to see if they have been drinking.

Edit: Amazing what a red card can do for a team .....a conifidence boost for Saturday as well.

I've never seen a successful team that doesn't press well, which has made our lack of press for so many games this season all the more frustrating. Our best performances this season have been the ones where we pressed well and the worst have been the ones we've not pressed at all.

At Exeter we completely surrendered the ball to them until they got to the edge of our box, if you do that to any side they'll look good if you don't make it hard for them.

We know Caldwell will want to pass it out of the back so if we can press aggressively like we did to Peterborough we should get some joy.

Yes a real confidence booster….but Pboro were winning until they had a man sent off and then proceeded to score two ‘Own Goals’ ….the first one mind was ‘forced’ off the keeper by a great free kick.

Still don’t think we’ll be as generous on Saturday.

That said Exeter’s win along with Fleetwood winning at Bristol and Reading doing Stevenage on their own patch have made for an interesting set of results and have closed off what would have been a touch more breathing space for us.

I think we should to start looking above us rather than behind us. Bristol losing gives us a potential chance to jump them on Saturday and go as high as 10th if results go right.

I've never seen a successful team that doesn't press well, which has made our lack of press for so many games this season all the more frustrating. Our best performances this season have been the ones where we pressed well and the worst have been the ones we've not pressed at all.

At Exeter we completely surrendered the ball to them until they got to the edge of our box, if you do that to any side they'll look good if you don't make it hard for them.

We know Caldwell will want to pass it out of the back so if we can press aggressively like we did to Peterborough we should get some joy.
Thats a big if and a big ask, King. They can do it but will Mr Yawnball allow his players to do it.

Time to bring up the thread once more in line for the upcoming match. More of the same please akin to last week minus the nervy injury time episode.

3 - 0 to The Tics

Maloneyball vs Caldwellball. May need to get pissed before watching this one, there is only so much backwards and sideways passing I can take.

These men had a good start, then went through a blip (partly inflicted by our two games against them) putting them dangerously close to the relegation places, and now they've recovered again.

I thought they looked decent in their games against us, but just displayed woeful finishing (heroic last gasp defending notwithstanding).

Getting rid of Caldwell was probably just a touch premature (certainly based on what followed), and just like Richardson, it would have been interesting to see if we'd have stayed up under him. I'm going for "yes" in both instances, but of course, we'll never know.

Though last saturday's performance is definitely summat we should be aiming to replicate, I'm still in the "let's get points on the board" camp, no matter how they come" brigade ... certainly until we're nearer 50 than 40.

3-1 Tics.

Last edited:
I have never seen an opposition team have as many corners as Exeter did in the first game; neither have I ever seen a team look so toothless from them. I think it may go in a similar vein as the first two games, we will let them have the ball a lot as they don't use it effectively and look to counter at speed.

2-0 latics and a lot of unhappy wiganers discussing our being dominated in possession at home.

think we will miss smith holding the line in center. theyll dominate posesseon and keep us on back foot. theyll change from pass out from back to hitting long ball strate into midfeeld and overruning us. we will over pass the ball back and sideweys in our third giving the entire west stand hart attacks.
still think we will nick it tho
7 - 0

I have never seen an opposition team have as many corners as Exeter did in the first game; neither have I ever seen a team look so toothless from them. I think it may go in a similar vein as the first two games, we will let them have the ball a lot as they don't use it effectively and look to counter at speed.

2-0 latics and a lot of unhappy wiganers discussing our being dominated in possession at home.
One nil to us penalty 83 min MC Guinness boring game but 3 points is 3points 💪

Despite Exeter battering us earlier in the season, i didn't actually think they looked very good, i just through we were awful and the fact we were so bad and they still couldn't put us away spoke volumes about them.

They wont be trying to physically bully us which is our weakness, they play a style that we are more comfortable at defending against. They want to play it out from the back but i don't think their defenders are the most gifted on the ball and I don't think they have a proper target man to go long, so if we can press them high, man for man we've got a very good chance of forcing mistakes and smothering their play.

We know when a team struggles to win long balls how crippling a high press can be from having it done to us so often this season. We used to do that all the time at this level under previous managers and most teams struggle against it, so hopefully we can start to do that more often rather than sitting back and letting teams play.

Looking at their stats, they are in pretty good form with 3 wins and 1 loss in their last 4 and 4 wins and 2 draws in their last 7.

Their top scorer Ryan Tevitt was only on loan and has been recalled by his parent club. So their next top scorer is a wing back Mitchell who only has 3 goals.

They are the 3rd worst attack in the league with only 21 goals from 31 games. They are the 6th worst defence in the league with 42 conceded from 31 but it seems that when they score first they hang on to win nearly 80% of the time, while if they concede first they lose 75% of the time, so the first goal is often the decider in most of their games. They also have a habit of conceding late goals in either half with 10 of the 20 first half goals and 15 of the 22 second half goals conceded in the last 15 mins of each half. About a quarter of the goals they have conceded have been set pieces, so it is a game where it's probably worth getting balls in rather than going short.

Looking at any notable names in their squad, they've got a lot of experience in their back line with Aimson, Hartridge and Sweeney and Mitchell at wing / wing back back is their top scorer. In midfield retired Latics player David Perkins has been registered as a player due to injuries but i don't think he's played yet. Yanic is also there but doesn't appear to be a regular starter. This past window they have signed def mid Ryan Woods from Hull and Mo Eisa from MK both were good players in the past but not seen much of either recently.

For us with Matt Smith suspended i expect that Scott Smith will probably return to the side, i think Maloney favours him even if Shaw is fit.

I think Sessegon also drops out for Jordan Jones to start.

Other than that you'd not expect any more changes but we know Maloney loves to change the team around from game to game, so you never know what he'll do.

This is one of those games where even though they come into this game on a good run if we turn up and perform well we should be too strong for them. But we know we haven't always turned up this season. Hopefully we'll try and replicate all of the good things we did from our last game but it's Wigan so you never know.