The government has made/is making a right bloody mess of all this. | Page 21 | Vital Football

The government has made/is making a right bloody mess of all this.

Be fair. Staggered return or not (that's by year, not class) I can't imagine how they're going manage social distancing between 6 year olds. Class sizes will have to be reduced significantly, but still, it'll be a nightmare. That said, I suppose China managed it.

I'd imagine the Unions have at heart both the interests of the children and their members. To suggest they haven't frankly is beneath you. Knowing quite a few teachers, I'd say that their dedication to their kids is second to none.

Let's remember, advice from Gov scientists was still saying that there was no risk to care homes up until 12th March.
The fact that most other countries have already re-opened schools seems to have passed you by - even some of the ones who have done a much better job than the UK - the gvt with support rather than obstruction from the unions should copy and paste no ?

BMA backs teaching unions
You really know nothing about working in a school, just because you have a child and have been to school.
Go and volunteer in a school, go and learn something.
I have bought fish and chips but would not know how to run your chippy, just like you have been to school but know nothing.
It's a good analogy re the fish and chips.
Though in terms of not knowing how to run a chippy it worked out ok for David Sharpe ........oh wait on 🤣

Neither does Moonay 😉🤣
Quite right.

The fact that most other countries have already re-opened schools seems to have passed you by - even some of the ones who have done a much better job than the UK - the gvt with support rather than obstruction from the unions should copy and paste no ?

No, it hasn't Hampton, but as I said to MiW, they're further along the infection curve. I have no idea what the guidelines are in those countries (which age groups returned, class sizes, social distancing, one way routes, etc) so can't comment. My only real pushback to MiW is that to blame the teachers (and unions) for not wanting to return because they're workshy buggers is completely unfair.

If there are lessons to be learned from how other countries have opened up, then I sincerely hope both the government and unions are discussing them with their counterparts.

From what I've (very briefly) heard from friends, and particularly from what Bongsmon posted, it seems that the government "guidance" can best be summed up as "every man/woman/girl/boy for himself".

That can't be right.

To be fair you have answered your own question here. They've reopened in other countries due to them handling it better and now having very few cases.

We are still getting 3,000-4,000 new daily cases. Far too soon for us to reopen safely yet. Get it below 1,000 a day and then rethink the possibility.

To be fair you have answered your own question here. They've reopened in other countries due to them handling it better and now having very few cases.

We are still getting 3,000-4,000 new daily cases. Far too soon for us to reopen safely yet. Get it below 1,000 a day and then rethink the possibility.

We’re not opening yet, it’s over 2 weeks ago.

Exactly which is why the pressure to and advocates of (Moonay😉 yr pin up in the van) easing the lockdown were and are playing fast and loose with thousands more lives right now.
The best solution is absolutely to follow the best outcome solutions implemented by other countries further down the toad than we are.
It shouldn't be too difficult however the default "can't do" approach of the unions and un"helpful" approach of the opposition - criticise without constructive alternatives - is hardly assisting the country.

Have a go at Merkel while you're at it then - think you'll find the bundesliga is back on 😉

I fear you missed the point. Given MiW's comment re "safety", I merely offered this other piece of advice as evidence of their previous record.

Nowt to do with whether or not anything should re-open.

Last edited:
But in this instance we are following other countries and opening school in a limited capacity - so you can’t really have it both ways.

I think you'll find I can have it as many ways as I like ................. we've taken back control, remember. ;)

Again, the point of the link was purely to act as an example of previous government advice ...................... which (with hindsight?) turned out to be not too great.

As for following other countries, I've already said my piece earlier up the page.

Interesting to hear Williamson calling the teachers "heros" in the briefing.

Correct but i bet friend Moonay will have a damm good go at it 😉🤣

Of course I will..........and have. It's because I can differentiate between different concepts, like advice, and lessons. ;)

I think you'll find I can have it as many ways as I like ................. we've taken back control, remember. ;)

Again, the point of the link was purely to act as an example of previous government advice ...................... which (with hindsight?) turned out to be not too great.

As for following other countries, I've already said my piece earlier up the page.

Of course I will..........and have. It's because I can differentiate between different concepts, like advice, and lessons. ;)
Or that have an inability to accept you could be on the wrong side of an debate ever -irrespective of subject or context 😉
Beginning to think you are actually Mrs Hampton 🤣

Hero’s my arse. Let’s not go overboard.

Don’t follow other countries and close schools early enough - that’s wrong. Follow other countries and open them up - well that’s wrong too. As Williamson said, children need to go back for all manner of reasons so the teaching unions need to dig deep and find a bit of resilience and courage.

Anyway it looks like Hancock is off the Telegraph hook - Fergie is well and truly in their sights and will be the fall guy.