The Golf Thread | Page 36 | Vital Football

The Golf Thread

For me, golf is the sporting equivalent of teaching. You can walk away thinking you are the dogs bollocks or you can walk away full of self hate, loathing and questioning your career/chosen sport.

And as soon as you start thinking you are good at it, it will bite you on the arse.

As soon as I start thinking, it bites me on the arse.

I swear I play better when I just walk up to the ball and hit it first time. Practice swings fill me with doubt!

And I'm also thinking about having a lesson or two with my driver - it's killing my game.

I'd definitely recommend a few lessons and try and go somewhere with a bit of tech - trackman etc. It won't be the driver it will be operator error and i'd guess something in your set up / swing needs tweaking.

I played 47 holes over the past two days in what was largely pretty shitty golf. I bought a new putter and tried this new Japanese putting grip and although it helps keep the putts straight, it doesn't help with distance control. There was a lot of bad putting going in with 3 and 4 putts on almost every hole. Back to the old putter and grip for a while.

That's a fair few holes.

I've been going at my putting the other way - trying to focus on the distance and not be *too* worried about the line.

My aim isn't generally that bad (not good though) but pace was really poor. I now feel like my putting is slowly improving.

Back under 100 today after a few dodgy rounds recently. Chipping much better so I gave myself lots of chances at par (and missed most of them). 46 on the back 9 was decent.

I had a lesson yesterday and the guy taught me lots of interesting things about hip mobility and that. One thing he said that I found strange is that the ball position should be the same for all shots off the ground. Does anyone else play like that?

One of the holes on the course I played on yesterday is a dog-leg left. It plays 327m according to the card. You tee off over a huge gap and need to carry about 180m to cover the gap. The fairway is narrow probably less than 20m so the safe line is to hit at the apex of the corner and hope for the best.

I hit my drive aiming for the apex but it went off hard and left. It cut the corner over the trees and ended up in the middle of the fairway around 80m from the green.

Pretty lucky but I'm putting myself down for a 247m drive there. :D

One of the holes on the course I played on yesterday is a dog-leg left. It plays 327m according to the card. You tee off over a huge gap and need to carry about 180m to cover the gap. The fairway is narrow probably less than 20m so the safe line is to hit at the apex of the corner and hope for the best.

I hit my drive aiming for the apex but it went off hard and left. It cut the corner over the trees and ended up in the middle of the fairway around 80m from the green.

Pretty lucky but I'm putting myself down for a 247m drive there. :D

If you're counting that then I'm having 6000yds for the time I landed on the 18th fairway from the 1st tee! 😵‍💫

Because my swing path is out to in and I try to close the face a little to prevent a slice, every so often I hit one hard and straight but it goes left, sort of 11 o'clock direction (the face and swing path match up).

On the tenth hole that worked out for me, hitting over the corner as I said above.

Sometimes it works out badly. The 12th hole is long and narrow and I blasted my drive over the trees and out onto the main road. I was expecting to hear breaking glass and the screech of tyres but I didn't hear anything, honest officer.

Because my swing path is out to in and I try to close the face a little to prevent a slice, every so often I hit one hard and straight but it goes left, sort of 11 o'clock direction (the face and swing path match up).

On the tenth hole that worked out for me, hitting over the corner as I said above.

Sometimes it works out badly. The 12th hole is long and narrow and I blasted my drive over the trees and out onto the main road. I was expecting to hear breaking glass and the screech of tyres but I didn't hear anything, honest officer.

My drives could go anywhere, left or right - I've had one come back off a tree and land behind the tee box! No-one is safe.

I really need a lesson or twenty and as I'm not playing for the next couple of weeks this would be the ideal time to get one in. I'll see if I can get booked up.

98 today. 51/47. Nothing that interesting about it except for nailing a 30ft putt on the last hole to finish with a big smile on my face.

John Rahm defects to LIV Arabia , deal worth £450m . It's not about the money and I'm not greedy he said.
Another sport ruined by the murdering Arab *****

John Rahm defects to LIV Arabia , deal worth £450m . It's not about the money and I'm not greedy he said.
Another sport ruined by the murdering Arab *****

I like John Rahm but if he wants the money, let him go. The more these guys take off the Arabs, the better. I'm still not going to watch.

I played 36 holes yesterday up in the hills. The course was very soggy and the greens were as rough as a Digbeth hooker but it was great craic.

11 hours on the course was a lot though. Feeling a bit tired today.

Guess what I did today? Yep, I played golf.

105 on a beautiful course that I always play badly on.

I have been over 100 on the last few rounds. Time to put the work back in at the driving range. Also, my chipping has been shite recently. Gotta work on that. I ended up getting too many double bogeys today on par 4s because I duffed my chips.

91 today. New personal best. I got 5 pars. I probably missed 5 birdie putts and also had a 7 on a par 3 on the card. Delighted with myself.