The Golf Thread | Page 35 | Vital Football

The Golf Thread

At that pace I'd probably have called it a day after 9.

I don't know why but I play worse when it gets really slow. I'm not sure if that's because my interest wanes or because I have too much time to think about everything and am mentally overloaded by the time I take a shot.

There is definitely a flow when you are hitting good shots and in a rhythm. It's just impossible to get it going when you have to stop for 10 minutes after every hole.

I got round in 91 today which is my best score to date.
There were a few silly putts and pitches - it should have been in the 80's really.

I went with the strategy of going for bogeys and playing less aggressive clubs/shots, which I've done the last three rounds. It didn't seem to do a lot the previous rounds but I hit a lot of really bad shots which would have killed any tactic.

Today, I went with the driver off most tees (had been taking a 3 wood), and rather than trying to belt it and worrying about the shot I was hitting within myself. I don't remember missing the fairway at all today so far more relaxed second shots.

It was around the green where I let myself down a bit. I was trying to go with a 52 wedge or pitch wedge around the greens and struggled to get the lengths. I usually go up with my 60 or 56 wedges but it was really windy and my mate was telling me the lower lofts are less risky and I should get used to playing them. I can remember four bad ones and there were probably more.

Still, I have to be happy, even just for not losing a ball on a round for what seems like ever!

There were a few silly putts and pitches - it should have been in the 80's really.

I went with the strategy of going for bogeys and playing less aggressive clubs/shots, which I've done the last three rounds. It didn't seem to do a lot the previous rounds but I hit a lot of really bad shots which would have killed any tactic.

Today, I went with the driver off most tees (had been taking a 3 wood), and rather than trying to belt it and worrying about the shot I was hitting within myself. I don't remember missing the fairway at all today so far more relaxed second shots.

It was around the green where I let myself down a bit. I was trying to go with a 52 wedge or pitch wedge around the greens and struggled to get the lengths. I usually go up with my 60 or 56 wedges but it was really windy and my mate was telling me the lower lofts are less risky and I should get used to playing them. I can remember four bad ones and there were probably more.

Still, I have to be happy, even just for not losing a ball on a round for what seems like ever!

Great shooting, Bugs.

It's funny how we walk off the course thinking about the shots that could have gone better, even after our best rounds.

So what did you differently than before?

So what did you differently than before?

Basically not getting the longest clubs for each shot and trying to get to the green as fast as possible.
Because I was going for bogey I basically gave myself an extra shot to get to the green on par 4 & 5's.

If I wanted to pull a fairway wood out I would, but weighing up the shot, i.e. if I thought a bad shit wouldn't land me in too much trouble - e.g. wide fairways, plenty of room to roll if I topped it, etc.

I used my irons a lot more and took my hybrids out the bag altogether.

Because I wasn't breaking my neck to get as much distance as possible my swing was less forced and I was hitting the ball cleaner. I do have a tendency to pull shots left though which I need to sort out but am accommodating it with my aim for now.

I'm also more relaxed about playing the sensible shot out of trouble, so no hybrids from the rough, etc.

On the green I'm allowing for 2 putts which is something I'm trying to take more time about. I reckon I'm doing 60/70% of holes in 2. The rest generally 3 with the odd 1 or 4.

I just generally feel a little less stressed and pressured about it all.

Will be laying again tomorrow so I'll see if this bogey golf approach does the trick again.

The bogey-golf plan worked and then didn't work.

Two of my mates turned up to join us for a four-ball and I started off with 4 bogeys, 1 par and a double bogey on the first 6 holes. To me that suggests the plan was working.

The trouble is it started getting competitive to the point I was trying to hit as far off the tee as I could and it ruined my game. I hit one tee shot into a tree and it landed 20 yards behind my tee box!

That then got me trying to hit second/third shots even harder and it all went downhill quite quickly.

If I'd have kept my head and stuck to the plan I think I'd have done ok.

I hit 103 in the end.

100 on the nose today. I feel like I played okay but nothing special so 100 is about right.

I did manage to draw a shot around a tree. I think that's the first time I've deliberately shaped a shot.

I got 3 pars and a bogey on the par 3s today. I got a par on a par 4 as well. I also got a load of triple bogies to finish on 101.

On one of the par 5s, I smashed my drive. It was lined up beautifully to get over the water and set myself up to get on in three. I hit it and it took off okay and then it ripped down into the water. I must have hit it low enough to get it to take off but with a load of top spin. It's going to haunt me, that shot.

My golf buddy got 120 and kept talking about how well he played. I hit the green on every par 3 and all I'll be thinking about is that shot.

I got 3 pars and a bogey on the par 3s today. I got a par on a par 4 as well. I also got a load of triple bogies to finish on 101.

On one of the par 5s, I smashed my drive. It was lined up beautifully to get over the water and set myself up to get on in three. I hit it and it took off okay and then it ripped down into the water. I must have hit it low enough to get it to take off but with a load of top spin. It's going to haunt me, that shot.

My golf buddy got 120 and kept talking about how well he played. I hit the green on every par 3 and all I'll be thinking about is that shot.

Like me, always remembering the bad ones!

Tweaked the set up of my swing off the tee today following advice from a pro. Will take some time to adapt but it's basically going to add another 20-70 yards to tee shots through hitting at the key point on the upswing . Today's results were a mixed bag plus it was wet and cold with limited run on and a very heavy dew . Beautiful blue skies though and a lovely walk in the country .

Tweaked the set up of my swing off the tee today following advice from a pro. Will take some time to adapt but it's basically going to add another 20-70 yards to tee shots through hitting at the key point on the upswing . Today's results were a mixed bag plus it was wet and cold with limited run on and a very heavy dew . Beautiful blue skies though and a lovely walk in the country .

I think I'm going to have a couple of lessons to focus on my driving.

I played to day and driving started off ok (not far but not too wide of any fairways) but went wayward as the round went on and caused me a few issues.

I was +13 after 12 holes, then it all went downhill rapidly. A hole with +4 and another with +5 contributed to a score of 99.

We played up in the hills today. I love that course so much.

I got 5 pars but unfortunately I got 4 triple bogies to finish on 97. Thankfully, one of those pars was on the last hole so I walked off feeling good about my golf.

I've finally sold that TW747 driver for £105. A lovely little profit on it.

I've now got some money in my pocket to spend on golf clubs.

I kinda fancy a swanky putter. I saw an Odyssey Stroke Lab Two Ball Fang for sale that I fancied but the guy sold it just before I messaged him.

What kind of putter are you guys using?

I was using an Odyssey 2-ball Triple Track until a few months ago. The quality was good and the handle large, soft and square. I just could never quite get the pace of it and and I struggled with aiming the large head.

I now have a Mizuno M-Craft I White Satin. It's also very nicely made but as a blade putter I feel I have more control. It seems to suit me better as my putting has improved with it almost immediately.

I was using an Odyssey 2-ball Triple Track until a few months ago. The quality was good and the handle large, soft and square. I just could never quite get the pace of it and and I struggled with aiming the large head.

I now have a Mizuno M-Craft I White Satin. It's also very nicely made but as a blade putter I feel I have more control. It seems to suit me better as my putting has improved with it almost immediately.

I started with a very cheap and shitty blade style putter but it closing during my stroke (or I kept closing it).

I bought a very old Odyssey XG Teron second hand and I found that much easier to line up and keep straight.

I struggle with distance control though, often leaving them short.

Played one of my favourite courses today but had a bit of a nightmare. I feel like I forgot how to play golf for 5 holes. Ended up 17 over for those 5 holes and 18 over for the other 13. Finished on 107. Disgraceful.

I really need to sort my driver out. It's getting to the point where I have so little confidence in it that my head is chock full of swing thoughts before I hit it and that makes it worse. After those 5 holes, I started hitting my 5 wood off the tee to keep it in play until I had settled down.

I also need to sort my clubs out. I've got a mixed bag of all sorts of stuff that I have picked up along the way. I plan to go for a fitting to find out what I should be using.

So, should I take lessons first or get fitted first?

For me, golf is the sporting equivalent of teaching. You can walk away thinking you are the dogs bollocks or you can walk away full of self hate, loathing and questioning your career/chosen sport.