The General Football thread | Page 38 | Vital Football

The General Football thread

Big mistake, he should stay as long as Conte wants him, I've said before that I'd like to see Conte stay for maybe another 3yrs and groom Mason to take over.

Mmmm.....not so sure. There's a lot that Mason can learn from Conte, but plenty that has to be inbuilt as part of your natural "makeup" to be not just a coach, but a successful one a the top flight league, let alone the EPL.

If only we had a free kick taker like this in our squad
I remember we briefly talked about this a few weeks back. It's unfathomable why Son hasn't been given a shot as our direct free kick taker. He takes corners and indirect free kicks. His technique at set pieces is generally very good. There's no downside to letting him have a go.

I remember we briefly talked about this a few weeks back. It's unfathomable why Son hasn't been given a shot as our direct free kick taker. He takes corners and indirect free kicks. His technique at set pieces is generally very good. There's no downside to letting him have a go.

Definitely worth a try. I am guessing the choice of taker is based on training performance. Who shows the best consistency and success rate.

Definitely worth a try. I am guessing the choice of taker is based on training performance. Who shows the best consistency and success rate.
Thats agreed Nick, but thinking on that, surely HK if he showed the most consistency and success rate in training, he lost it all in a real game, only saying lol!

Kane wasn't taking free kicks at the end of the season.
I remember at one point late last season he was one free kick away from equalling the record of failing to score from consecutive free kicks. It was something like 53 or 54. I can't remember whether he took another one after that. Coincidence? A record he didn't want perhaps.

Did anyone see the England free kick routine against Germany? Very fancy with lots of moment which ended up with Kane turning from having his back to goal to shoot...needless to say it didn't go well. So many managers seem to fall for him being a good free kick taker...why?!

Did anyone see the England free kick routine against Germany? Very fancy with lots of moment which ended up with Kane turning from having his back to goal to shoot...needless to say it didn't go well. So many managers seem to fall for him being a good free kick taker...why?!

Who knows. It is counter intuitive as well. Why would we want a player with dodgy ankles spending hours and hours practicing free kicks? If his ankles are strong enough to do that then he should be running more miles.

I'm wondering whether Perisic takes free kicks.

Was that the one where we had four players huddled around the ball, and nobody in the penalty area to pick up any loose ball from a save or off of the woodwork. I just sat there laughing, it was so amateurish.

Reports emerging that PSG have agreed a compensation package for Poch to leave.
Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Think that United or a return to Spurs would have been his preferred options, but currently a return to the top half of the PL looks unlikely, and I'm not sure that he's done enough for top clubs elsewhere in Europe to be interested.