The General Football thread | Page 37 | Vital Football

The General Football thread

Good luck to him.

Is Swindon Town a club that you would want to cut your teeth at though? A new CEO last summer and yet another DoF has been replaced this week. Now it seems Charlton have poached their manager, hence why they are recruiting.

Matty Taylor was also our U18 coach and jumped ship to manage Walsall last year. He lasted until Feb this year when he got the sack.

Mason is 30 and should probably learn more from the master before he makes the big jump into management.

Big mistake, he should stay as long as Conte wants him, I've said before that I'd like to see Conte stay for maybe another 3yrs and groom Mason to take over.

Is Swindon Town a club that you would want to cut your teeth at though? A new CEO last summer and yet another DoF has been replaced this week. Now it seems Charlton have poached their manager, hence why they are recruiting.

Matty Taylor was also our U18 coach and jumped ship to manage Walsall last year. He lasted until Feb this year when he got the sack.

Mason is 30 and should probably learn more from the master before he makes the big jump into management.

Mason shouldn't go anywhere near Swindon. He is much better than that lot.

Probably a better fit for Matty.

I used to train some of the Swindon players back in 2017. A bunch of piss worms the lot of them. 🤣 Especially that little ginger **** Smith.

All egotistical, unfit lazy bitches. You'd be amazed how much they were earning a week for a League 2 team.

Mason shouldn't go anywhere near Swindon. He is much better than that lot.

Probably a better fit for Matty.

I used to train some of the Swindon players back in 2017. A bunch of piss worms the lot of them. 🤣 Especially that little ginger **** Smith.

All egotistical, unfit lazy bitches. You'd be amazed how much they were earning a week for a League 2 team.

He might see it as a challenge to weed them out and turn the club around.

Mason could stand on the touchlines behind Conte for the next 30years and he still wouldnt have 1/10th of the personality Conte portrays when managing.

Its not just about experience. Unfortunately for Mason, he has a beige personality. A bit like Winks currently. Dawson and Ledley were the same. Its nothing to be ashamed of but the manager needs to promote a togetherness in a squad in training and on the pitch. The best need every ounce of character to do it properly. Even with the added zest of proving people wrong as caretaker manager he was still shown to be beige.

Agreed LH
As well as the badges and tactics.
You need humour, passion, a bit of ego (not as much as JM),
Some showman ship, argumentive, stubborness,
Unfortunately Mason is a bit too nice and indeed beige..
With that said I wish him well and hope he can become a decent manager..

If there is one thing I have learned is it's very difficult to say who will make a Good manager.

It's interesting to see people make character assumptions, and being a football manager at the highest levels means they have to have some 'character ' about them, and as always we all have different view of what that means.

When I have to do it; I listen, I watch,

So for example, what do they say, and how do they say it - do they believe what they're saying or are they parroting what they think you want to hear? How do they deal with criticism and even failure? (You can often learn more about leaders / managers in how they dealt with failure than they did when they succeeded).

What does their body language say - this observation for me can frequently mean more than their verbal communication...

What is their personal resilience like? How do they deal with adversity in their work and or private life, are they the sort that can make tough decisions and make changes in their or other peoples lives?

If they've failed to meet their aspirations, why?

In Football, you can add probably a whole host of other key indicators; emotional intelligence, leadership skills, experience, technical and tactical knowledge, motivation skills etc...

So for me, unless I'd got close to making a character judgement, I would say yah or nay to any candidate..

So like you, I think from our observation point, deciding who will or won't make a good manager is simply a guessing game.

Ryan is 31 so he certainly has time on his side and a head start maybe. He is the youngest ever to manage a PL team. He's done his badges. He's played at the highest level. He's held a few positions at Spurs, player development and youth coach etc. Now part of the first team coaching team. He can't be far off being an asst PL coach. He is liked and respected as far as I'm aware. He was brave on the pitch.
He can develop a hard edge and I'm sure he knows he needs it. Because his career was cruelly cut short and he is lucky to be alive, he has a second chance to make it in football.
I don't know him, some on here might. I don't see many negatives about him.

Ryan is 31 so he certainly has time on his side and a head start maybe. He is the youngest ever to manage a PL team. He's done his badges. He's played at the highest level. He's held a few positions at Spurs, player development and youth coach etc. Now part of the first team coaching team. He can't be far off being an asst PL coach. He is liked and respected as far as I'm aware. He was brave on the pitch.
He can develop a hard edge and I'm sure he knows he needs it. Because his career was cruelly cut short and he is lucky to be alive, he has a second chance to make it in football.
I don't know him, some on here might. I don't see many negatives about him.

When his on pitch peers have retired he will be a better coach.

Does anyone have the Athletic article about how each of the PL teams pass?