The General Football thread | Page 173 | Vital Football

The General Football thread

The view from the Telegraph:

Jurgen Klopp baffled by decision not to award Liverpool penalty – this is why he is right​

Former referees’ chief Keith Hackett gives his expert opinion on whether Liverpool should have been awarded a second spot-kick

Chris Bascombe at Anfield and Keith Hackett 10 March 2024 •

Jeremy Doku's high boot hits Alexis Mac Allister, but no penalty was given

Jeremy Doku's high boot hit Alexis Mac Allister, but no penalty was given Credit: AFP/Paul Ellis
Jurgen Klopp was baffled by the failure to award Liverpool an injury-time penalty as his final Premier League meeting with Pep Guardiola delivered another scintillating and controversial epic.
Jeremy Doku’s 98th-minute lunge on Alex Mac Allister went unpunished by referee Michael Oliver and was deemed fair by VAR Stuart Atwell, ensuring the title chasers shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

But the contentious injury time decision prompted Klopp to suggest only ‘non-football’ people would think it was not a penalty.
“I think everyone in this room thinks if he whistles a penalty, it is not a scandal,” said Klopp. “He hits him on the chest, yes he touches the ball before. Does that make any difference on any position of the pitch if your leg is that high?
“You can kick the ball before, after that the foot is here and you go off. It is not a red card obviously but I speak so often about it. Why would the guy in the VAR studio think that is not clear and obvious? What must you have for lunch if you think that is not clear and obvious?”
Klopp believes that had the foul been anywhere else on the field, a foul would have been awarded.
“This situation on all positions on the pitch is 100 per cent a foul and it’s a yellow card,” he said. “He hit the ball but he can only hit the ball because his foot was right there. If the ball is not there, he kills him. It’s a penalty for all football people on the planet. If you don’t think it is one then maybe you’re not a football person.
“But I’m really not angry. It’s just the situation. It’s fine. I’m so happy about the way we played today. I really don’t care. I’m already over it.”

Klopp calls out Mike Dean​

Sky TV’s refereeing consultant Mike Dean initially suggested on commentary that Oliver would be asked to review the incident, but then u-turned and agreed with the VAR call not to do so. Telegraph Sport columnist Keith Hackett felt the incident was a “clear and obvious” penalty.
“You employ Mike Dean, he works for Sky? Congratulations, that’s a great appointment by the way – he will find something,” said Klopp.
Despite the late furore, the Liverpool manager said the game was one of the best for quality he has ever been involved with, suggesting his side’s performance convinced him they can go the distance in the title race.
“I would have loved to use one of the massive chances we created,” said Klopp.
“Yes, we are lucky Doku hit the post, but we played an exceptional football game. For us, besides the result, the most important information is that we are right there. We go the distance. Let’s see what we get for it, but the boys fought so hard for absolutely everything to be there. Arsenal at the moment is firing on all cylinders.
“Last night they still played an incredible game. City is City. So for us it is probably a little bit like how did we get through all that, that we are still there. It is crazy with all these games we had and the squad situation we have.
“Today I saw the best 53 minutes we had against Manchester City. It was exceptional how we played, and important as well that we learned that about ourselves as well. That we can do that.”

Liverpool should have had another penalty – but do not blame the referee​

The quality of this game lived up to its expectations with some outstanding playing skills on show and I was delighted to see a refereeing performance of the same calibre.
Michael Oliver gave a performance that underpinned why he is England’s No 1 football referee. He was well supported by his two colleagues on the line, Stuart Burt and Dan Cook, and I hope that many grassroots officials will have taken on board the anticipation, movement and positioning of Oliver to gain those good viewing positions and viewing angles that delivered one big penalty decision – when Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson brought down Darwin Nunez with a reckless challenge.
But sadly I cannot say the same about VAR Stuart Attwell, who missed a clear and obvious penalty in the final minute of time added on that would have handed Liverpool a chance to win the match.
The blame here does not lie on Oliver – far from it. He was well placed to turn down Liverpool’s appeals for a penalty kick when Mohamed Salah somewhat dramatically went to ground.

However, play continued and in the closing seconds of the game Oliver was unsighted when City’s Jeremy Doku swung a raised foot towards Liverpool midfielder Alexis Mac Allister as the pair challenged for the ball.

It was a raised foot above his waist which landed on his opponent. Despite making contact with the ball first, it was a careless challenge. Oliver, unsighted, had to rely on the VAR in that moment.

Liverpool felt they had strong penalty claims and in retrospect Oliver will be disappointed that he was not sent to the screen to have a look. In my opinion, it was a foul and Attwell missed a clear and obvious error that needed to be looked at again. Whether it cost Liverpool a winning goal we will never know.

Oliver was also in a good position to correctly award a penalty kick for Liverpool earlier in the match when penalising Ederson for his reckless challenge on Nunez.

There were some who called for the goalkeeper to be sent off for the challenge, which saw him substituted with injury shortly after, but once again I think Oliver made the correct call to caution him and keep the game at 11 versus 11.
The law states reckless is “when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned.”

Oliver was correct to apply a yellow card to Ederson for his reckless challenge, but for it to have been a red card then the following criteria must apply in law: “Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and/or endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off.”
Oliver was correct and demonstrated why he is our No 1 referee, remaining calm and reading the play exceptionally well that ensures his contact with the game and achieving those important viewing angles to See, Recognise, Think and Act.

Loving the fact that Klopp attacked the Sky mafia and their appointment of their new don, Mike Dean. He obviously did it in his normal gaslighting style, but so be it.

My opinion, it's a penalty. Doku let it bounce, could have headed it but chose the high, dangerous boot approach. That's a penalty, and shouldn't be about whether the City player touched the ball or not. His studs went into the chest.

I also watched Nuno's interview this weekend. After handing Liverpool the ball last week, Tierney's now ignored a blatant red and kept 11 on the pitch. The way of dealing with his shit show apparently was to start dishing cards out to the Forest coaching staff. That ref has some ego in my opinion and should be dropped from sight.

Loving the fact that Klopp attacked the Sky mafia and their appointment of their new don, Mike Dean. He obviously did it in his normal gaslighting style, but so be it.

My opinion, it's a penalty. Doku let it bounce, could have headed it but chose the high, dangerous boot approach. That's a penalty, and shouldn't be about whether the City player touched the ball or not. His studs went into the chest.

I also watched Nuno's interview this weekend. After handing Liverpool the ball last week, Tierney's now ignored a blatant red and kept 11 on the pitch. The way of dealing with his shit show apparently was to start dishing cards out to the Forest coaching staff. That ref has some ego in my opinion and should be dropped from sight.
I thought it was just as much about MacAllister running onto his boot as it was Doku's boot hitting his chest, you could tell Doku was trying to avoid his boot hitting and was bringing it down and just caught his chest a glancing blow in doing so. Anyway.....I wouldn't give Liverpool the time of day! :LOL:

Or the Gooners as in don't give Havertz a second yellow for simulation so he can score their winner.
Whilst I'm no lover of the Gooners
They, much like us don't get away with too much.
However I must say I always laughed at Ol Arses' spats of selective blindness, when it came to dodgy decisions in Arsenal's favour.
Congrats to them tonite, for winning on pens
Keep em in it until the semis, tire the team out, then hopefully they drop like a stone by the end of April 😉😉😉

Whilst I'm no lover of the Gooners
They, much like us don't get away with too much.
However I must say I always laughed at Ol Arses' spats of selective blindness, when it came to dodgy decisions in Arsenal's favour.
Congrats to them tonite, for winning on pens
Keep em in it until the semis, tire the team out, then hopefully they drop like a stone by the end of April 😉😉😉
Sorry Niall, I want them to get smashed every time they play!

Arsenal winning is great for us really.

Think with out run we will struggle for top 4

Top 5 gives us more chance
Hi Sock
As I said Arse winning, benefits us in more ways than one (IMO)
It keeps them stretched as a team and (hopefully) tires them out toward the end of the season.
As you say the better Arse, ManC, Lpool, Wham etc all do in Europe, the better chance for top 5 to be in CL next season.
However regardless, I do like to see all Prem teams do well in Europe as it shows we do play in the best league in the world.
And whilst I don't really follow international football until the 'Big competition' similarly I want all the home nations to do well.
Just my nature, I just can't support the likes of PSG, Byern, or Madrid against a home side, with their cheating, diving, whinging style of football.

Hi Sock
As I said Arse winning, benefits us in more ways than one (IMO)
It keeps them stretched as a team and (hopefully) tires them out toward the end of the season.
As you say the better Arse, ManC, Lpool, Wham etc all do in Europe, the better chance for top 5 to be in CL next season.
However regardless, I do like to see all Prem teams do well in Europe as it shows we do play in the best league in the world.
And whilst I don't really follow international football until the 'Big competition' similarly I want all the home nations to do well.
Just my nature, I just can't support the likes of PSG, Byern, or Madrid against a home side, with their cheating, diving, whinging style of football.

I guess logically we should want the clubs from the countries who are competing with us for the UEFA coefficients to lose. We should also want the home clubs to go as far as possible. That way, the 5th place CL spot could become more permanent.

However, we can't let logic get in our way. No way I'm ever supporting some of our home clubs in Europe. I enjoy their defeats too much :LOL:

I guess logically we should want the clubs from the countries who are competing with us for the UEFA coefficients to lose. We should also want the home clubs to go as far as possible. That way, the 5th place CL spot could become more permanent.

However, we can't let logic get in our way. No way I'm ever supporting some of our home clubs in Europe. I enjoy their defeats too much :LOL:
You're a bad sport .... in a very good way, mutters! ;)

Will people please stop using that arse word on this site … it really winds me up
!

I’m starting a campaign to get it banned , it has no use in the English language other than to describe something in military jargon .
It certainly has no meaning on this site . All in my humble opinion of course .

Up their arse and all.

In the light of much of the doom and gloom with reference to our recent defeat, and those predicting that the 'Sky will now fall in' I had a look at Villas fixtures they have the 'Midlands Derby' against Wolves, still have to face Liverpool, Chelsea, Man C 'ARSE' and indeed Manure, aswell as Euro conference games.
Their run in has as many, if not more difficult games than ours.
So I for one still think we do have a chance at top 4..🤞

I'm concerned more about Manure going on a good run than I am about Villa, that's why a win and a cushion of nine points would have been nice.
Hi TQ, I know they have the 'luck of old Nick' as we say over here.
They still have Chelsea, Liverpool, ARSE, Newky, and a possible FA Cup final to deal with.
For some reason I thought we were due to play em again (Ahhh well old age) *. However what I'm saying is that :
Those around us don't have an easy run in either.
Each team including us have several 'DODGEY' games which they could lose and that's 9/12 points.

Hi TQ, I know they have the 'luck of old Nick' as we say over here.
They still have Chelsea, Liverpool, ARSE, Newky, and a possible FA Cup final to deal with.
For some reason I thought we were due to play em again (Ahhh well old age) *. However what I'm saying is that :
Those around us don't have an easy run in either.
Each team including us have several 'DODGEY' games which they could lose and that's 9/12 points.
Hope you are right Niall.

Just to say........it's 2 weeks now since Pompey last posted, hope he is ok.