The General Football thread | Page 169 | Vital Football

The General Football thread

Personally, I think he should have got the full 12 years her lawyers were asking for. He's a sexual predator.
Well he's played a blinder, or his lawyer has if true.

They say a leopard will never change its spots. I reckon we'll be returning to this further down the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been fascinated by how things are made/constructed so watching the live video feeds available throughout the construction of our stadium was fantastic. In the same vain I've recently been watching some of the drone footage of the construction of the new Everton stadium at Bramley Moore Dock.

I've got to tell you guys, as a thing of beauty it doesn't even come close to our new home.

They were always going to get a reduction imho, as penalising them for trying to come up with the best excuse/defence they could, always appeared vindictive to me.

Anyway, they're probably get deducted 4 points for the latest offence, lol!

It's just unfortunate that no other team has got slapped! Not naming who...LOL...

Poor Luton town!!

So what are people’s thoughts on 5th place being allocated a CL spot? I actually think it should remain as top 4. If we finish 5th and happen to be given a CL place, it won’t feel deserved, for me anyway. Firstly we’ve been too inconsistent this season. Secondly, we would just be making up numbers as we have nowhere near a deep enough squad to compete. Thirdly, it would mean that those PL teams still remaining in European competition would need to go very deep into those comps in order for the PL to be allocated an extra CL spot. I don’t know if I could stomach the mob down the road reaching the semi or final of the CL. Apart from that, I’ve always thought top 4 for CL. Adding an extra spot almost feels like it ruins the romanticism of CL. It’s always been a prestigious competition and only those teams deserving should be there, not “You’re almost good enough, but we’re going to give you a spot anyway because it’s your lucky day “. Thoughts?

So what are people’s thoughts on 5th place being allocated a CL spot? I actually think it should remain as top 4. If we finish 5th and happen to be given a CL place, it won’t feel deserved, for me anyway. Firstly we’ve been too inconsistent this season. Secondly, we would just be making up numbers as we have nowhere near a deep enough squad to compete. Thirdly, it would mean that those PL teams still remaining in European competition would need to go very deep into those comps in order for the PL to be allocated an extra CL spot. I don’t know if I could stomach the mob down the road reaching the semi or final of the CL. Apart from that, I’ve always thought top 4 for CL. Adding an extra spot almost feels like it ruins the romanticism of CL. It’s always been a prestigious competition and only those teams deserving should be there, not “You’re almost good enough, but we’re going to give you a spot anyway because it’s your lucky day “. Thoughts?

IF 5th gets us a CL spot, we'll have qualified and so would feel deserved, we'd have proved to be better than all but four of the rest.

Come the summer, as many as 4or5 outstanding prospects from the U'21's/academy may be retained in our first team squad.

if all goes well I expect our summer budget to be in the region of £100 mill again., and gives us the ability to buy possibly two first team ready players.

For 6 years we finished ahead of the mob down the road, and their manager has been in situ by then, nearly 5 years, ours won't have, and will only be in his second season.

So far, I think he's done a great job considering we were literally on our arses when he joined.

Context and a little patience is probably called for now, not easy of course, but for the first time in years I can tell you that most (if not all) who attend, the optimism is levels above what we've endured in the last 4/5 years.

We may well shock a few next season if we get the rub of the green and avoid the horrendous continuing injuries we did this one.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest 82 deserved or not, I really couldn't give a fcuk how we get into the CL, whether it be 4th or 5th, we will be there so more bucks coming in. LOL!

Our squad at the mo not being deep enough, you/me and every Tom, Dick n Abdul fan knows it also, but so does Angie and Spurs.
We will not win it but hey give it a go! LOL!

But lets be honest the CL is nothing compared to when it was just the European Cup, its all about dosh as every form of life is now, the same, want more. LOL!

As for your lucky, so bloody what! you have to have a certain amount of luck to win most Cup comps, simple as that. LOL!

If we do make the CL, say a huge thankyou to Angie and what he has brought to our club...the Mighty Spurs.

By the way enjoyed reading your thoughts, put a smile on my boatrace, lol! COYS

5th is no different from 2nd in my book. Either way, you're not a champion and the competition is "Champs League". When I compare the Bundesliga to the PL, we both currently get 4 slots allocated. That league is sub-standard to the PL, so we shouldn't feel guilty about having more slots than them. That is, if we want the best players to be entertaining us.

As for our squad, it is more equipped than all those years Poch had us in that competition. The reason it seems light is that Ange keeps breaking the players. Man City won a treble with a core 17 or 18 players because of the training methods, tactical system and rotation. Poch had about 15 CL worthy players, without the type of U21 potential Ange has to work with. Also, if we get CL the squad will be 2 or 3 deeper than it is now.

Despite liking the guy,I just hope Ange can overcome a few of his own flaws and inspire us to CL qualification.

I've got mixed feelings on this one. My greatest wish for Spurs is for the Club to firmly establish itself as one of the top ten Clubs in Europe, better still top six, alongside the likes of City, Real, Barca, Juventus etc,etc. To achieve that we need to consolidate ourselves as a PL top three Club who are both qualifying and competing for the CL on a regular basis. We're hopefully heading in the right direction, but there is still a long road to travel.
As far as this season and 4th or 5th place is concerned, much as I want to see us as a regular, competitive Club in the CL, at this stage I believe that we would be far more competitive in the Europa League, I said a while back that we will break our trophy drought by winning the Europa League in the 2024/25 season. I'll happily settle for that.
Given how tough our remaining fixture list is, I pretty much drew a conclusion after tossing away three points last week, that we won't finish top four. I think that we will end the season in the range of 68-70 points, which will almost certainly give us a fifth place finish. If that turns out to be Europa League and not CL qualification, so be it, it may not be a bad thing. We'll be more ready for CL after another year's development.

I've got mixed feelings on this one. My greatest wish for Spurs is for the Club to firmly establish itself as one of the top ten Clubs in Europe, better still top six, alongside the likes of City, Real, Barca, Juventus etc,etc. To achieve that we need to consolidate ourselves as a PL top three Club who are both qualifying and competing for the CL on a regular basis. We're hopefully heading in the right direction, but there is still a long road to travel.
As far as this season and 4th or 5th place is concerned, much as I want to see us as a regular, competitive Club in the CL, at this stage I believe that we would be far more competitive in the Europa League, I said a while back that we will break our trophy drought by winning the Europa League in the 2024/25 season. I'll happily settle for that.
Given how tough our remaining fixture list is, I pretty much drew a conclusion after tossing away three points last week, that we won't finish top four. I think that we will end the season in the range of 68-70 points, which will almost certainly give us a fifth place finish. If that turns out to be Europa League and not CL qualification, so be it, it may not be a bad thing. We'll be more ready for CL after another year's development.

When you project to August this year, it would be interesting to see where our team and squad rate amongst Europe's finest. Would there be a case that it would be a top 10 squad? Probably.

I can definitely see the attraction of the young guns joining some senior guys and tearing it up in EL. Then, perhaps winning it and getting the CL place for the following season.

More realistically though, the target this season has to be going for the pot of CL gold. If we drop from the CL to the EL at Xmas, it could amount to the same trophy outcome.

When you project to August this year, it would be interesting to see where our team and squad rate amongst Europe's finest. Would there be a case that it would be a top 10 squad? Probably.
Certainly 'on paper' I think that that will be the case. I wrote a week or so back that when comparing our preferred eleven/twelve against Arsenal's preferred line up, I would only consider Saka and Rice as definites to walk into our team. We've still got quite a way to go though to fulfill the potential we have 'on paper' currently.