The General Football thread | Page 168 | Vital Football

The General Football thread

So what happens next in the Dani Alves trial?

Are we finally going to see an actual prison sentence for one of these footballers who abuse their "rich and famous" status? From all the recent cases, you get the feeling that the defence lawyers have pulled rabbits out of hats and served the rich clients well.
Hey Mutters very interesting but I think he has been found guilty and sentenced to 4.5 years in nick, that's if my memory is correct.

Will that 4 1/2 years stick on appeal? It's already about the lowest sentence given for such a case. It could have been double.
Despite the severity of the crime, the court’s decision to sentence Alves to four and a half years reflects the legal process and the specific circumstances of the case. It’s essential to recognize that sentencing decisions are based on various factors, including evidence, legal arguments, and the judge’s discretion...

But no doubt as he was to some a national hero and of previous good character, his charitable works also helped with mitigating his sentence, in the judges summing up there is also some criticism/reference of her behaviour that night, which I assume must have played on the judges mind when he was deciding his sentence, it is of course also true that the prosecution asked for twice that sentence and it is still entirely possible that under the Spanish justice system, if he appeals he may well risk the prosecution demanding that his sentence reflect his lack of remorse - so if he takes that risky course, he may yet end up with a much bigger sentence. It was also mitigated because she accepted that she wouldn't object if she got a compensation payment, which was agreed at $150,000

There are 3 types of prison regimes - régimen cerrado, régimen ordinario and régimen abierto (closed, ordinary and open). These vary according to supervision, confinement and privileges granted, the closed is the most restrictive and open is a step towards full freedom. Only persons who have served two thirds of their sentence, and with an excellent record of good behaviour, would be eligible for the open regime.

So he'll be serving his sentence in the toughest end of their prison sentence but will serve the full 4.5 years no matter what, best he can hope for is after he's done 3 years, the last 18months will be slightly easier.

He shouldn't be allowed back out until he is deemed not to be mentally deranged to do it again. I've always found the focus on length of time when sentencing a bit of an odd one. I guess it's probably an imperfect system.
As always with hard drug takers; the consequences of taking them, mixed with booze can completely alter a person's normal boundaries and decision-making; this is a well-known medical fact. This supposedly was a factor that only came out in mitigation.

But so many celeb's or ex-celeb's think they can act anyway they like, including taking hard drugs whenever they fancy, Russell Brand seems from what's been reported to fit that bill as well (although of course, he's been convicted of nothing).

In an ideal world Alvarez would have admitted that he did it and recognise his abhorrent behaviour from day 1 rather than let his legal advisors try to attempt to help him to get away with it. If he did and the reasons why, chances are, he'd have spared the girl anymore hurt and would now be serving a lessor sentence. Given the evidence, I think he was very badly advised.

My money would be on him never behaving like that again - but who knows? As a person's mental state is so radically altered by hard drug taking, especially mixed with heavy drinking - how can anyone ever be sure he won't be 'mentally deranged' again?

It's a judgement call in the end, and not an easy one to make.

Last edited:
I have always asked this....why oh why to people take drugs?

Ok! back in my Military days whilst on Tour in the Carribean I smoked the odd Joint! that's it!

Mind I suppose I have to own up to being a bit of a piss head, we all were, though never when on duty, but always on leave time, drinking like its going out of fashion, Lol!

He shouldn't be allowed back out until he is deemed not to be mentally deranged to do it again. I've always found the focus on length of time when sentencing a bit of an odd one. I guess it's probably an imperfect system.
I agree about the system Meee. A first offence should have a tariff but a second should be on risk imo. A second offence of any unprovoked physical violence against a person should be life, end of. I've never understood why society tolerates the release of violent people after they've shown a propensity to reoffend, just because of time served.

I agree about the system Meee. A first offence should have a tariff but a second should be on risk imo. A second offence of any unprovoked physical violence against a person should be life, end of. I've never understood why society tolerates the release of violent people after they've shown a propensity to reoffend, just because of time served.
Don’t even get me started on Colin Pitchfork !
The man needs chemical or physical castration . He was even , allegedly , rubbing himself indecently in front of female members of the parole board .

He has won himself another parole board assessment.

The first one said that his manager at the the site where he was placed , IN SOUTHAMPTON , , IN THE VICINITY OF A SCHOOL AND ADJACENT TO SOUTHAMPTON COMMON , had to administer Lie Detector tests because they couldn’t be sure if he had been honest with them at the release assessment .
He was taken back to prison after they decided his actions were not safe and he couldn’t be trusted out on his own . He was still accosting lone women and girls .

Really sad to hear that my local team Torquay have been placed in administration with the chairman (who has been pumping his own money in for a while) standing down and the manager also leaving after a really poor run.
Sorry for you mate, I saw n heard that last night.

Another one bites the dust! Jeez!

As always with hard drug takers; the consequences of taking them, mixed with booze can completely alter a person's normal boundaries and decision-making; this is a well-known medical fact. This supposedly was a factor that only came out in mitigation.

But so many celeb's or ex-celeb's think they can act anyway they like, including taking hard drugs whenever they fancy, Russell Brand seems from what's been reported to fit that bill as well (although of course, he's been convicted of nothing).

In an ideal world Alvarez would have admitted that he did it and recognise his abhorrent behaviour from day 1 rather than let his legal advisors try to attempt to help him to get away with it. If he did and the reasons why, chances are, he'd have spared the girl anymore hurt and would now be serving a lessor sentence. Given the evidence, I think he was very badly advised.

My money would be on him never behaving like that again - but who knows? As a person's mental state is so radically altered by hard drug taking, especially mixed with heavy drinking - how can anyone ever be sure he won't be 'mentally deranged' again?

It's a judgement call in the end, and not an easy one to make.

He's a big boy, he knows the rules. If you're big enough to do the crime, you're big enough to do the time.

For info only lol!
Had my "Eye Test" failed of course, mind not a lot worse than 3 years ago.

Sat down wiv the Lady to do things regards my new lens, each lens is set out..... Distance at the top....Mid range in the middle....Reading at the bottom....Auto Focus Lens....then came the best bit, not, £470 the pair of lens, luckily using my old Stainless Steel Ray-Ban frames. :cry::geek:

Done my road-tax con for my Dodge at the Post Office (y)

Done Banking for Mrs PY (y)

Went up to my local caff had a cuppa or 2 wiv an oppo, only to discover that 3 further oppo's have gone to the Parade Ground in the sky this week, jeez what a bloody morning. :cry:
Add to that! a Lady from Crookhorn, Customer of Mrs PY's charity, was murdered earlier in the week, and was informed today that the victim lived 2 doors down from 2 oppo's of mine, jeez what's this bloody World coming to?

Anyways got to keep smiling, have a great rest of day my fellow Yids. COYS