The General Football thread | Page 152 | Vital Football

The General Football thread

Everton and Everton fans have done a great PR job of trying to spin themselves into victims

They lied about stadium costs and covid costs to cover player spending

It wasn't just 19 million over, it was correctly adjusted down after stadium / Covid

They admitted guilt

It has long occurred to me that there should be a set figure for 'trading losses' over a three-year period but at a different level for new ownership of a club, I don't believe it's contradictory and could work.

Let's say I buy Crystal Palace at the end of the season because their consortium of owners had reached a 'no more money in' point (which they look like they have).

So I buy them and want to spend on new players, to my mind that process shouldn't be interfered with, but a loss limit must be applied, I'd allow any new owners a double trading loss limit for the first 3 seasons. So £210 million over the 3 years.

That means they can bring new money into the market and give that club real hope of being more than it has probably historically been, it would create fresh, fair competition and stop the elite from being seen to pull the ladder up behind them.

Makes sense based on today's model.

Personally, I think a £35m loss a year with a £105m 3 year rolling threshold is preposterous when you consider their annual turnovers. It only works for the billionaires. It should be something like £25m loss in any one year but break even over 3 years. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Makes sense based on today's model.

Personally, I think a £35m loss a year with a £105m 3 year rolling threshold is preposterous when you consider their annual turnovers. It only works for the billionaires. It should be something like £25m loss in any one year but break even over 3 years. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons.
It would also start making a lot of clubs and owners running their businesses as they should be run - properly. The trouble is they make rash silly statements about objectives and promise success hungry fans anything and everything - then slowly but surely run out of dosh or just lose interest and fcuk it up.

It would also start making a lot of clubs and owners running their businesses as they should be run - properly. The trouble is they make rash silly statements about objectives and promise success hungry fans anything and everything - then slowly but surely run out of dosh or just lose interest and fcuk it up.
Just really do not get how Chelski survive as they have more than enough players on their books to field 5 teams in any league (OK most are on loans - think they have the most of any team in the world)
like collecting match sticker cards

Ex was right.
He is a genius.
Huge signing on fee.
Fat wages.
Win a cup.
Huge redundancy payout.

Repeat
His owners are now regretting even knowing him, he is leaving them in a complete mess and if they are lucky will stay up.

They courted him behind our backs and gave him everything he demanded, and still he dragged the club down with him.

The man is an utter canute. If another owner appoints him, they are certifiable insane.

Seems more media then one to watch is Potter, I guess they see him as a project, long term manager that will play youth.

Nothing will change all the time they are firing out new contracts to martial etc
I think in the not too distant future we will see, just as you have with us, wholesale changes to the management, including their recruitment. Jim and his brother are data driven decision makers; they are both extremely intelligent people who are as sharp as a tack.

But of course the good news for us in the short term, it's unlikely he'll be in situ and enabled to make wholesale changes before the end of February.

And Jim or his brother know they can't just chuck another £3-400 mil at recruitment, their finances have been undermined by the current regime in a massive way, they had to do this deal, or literally risk going bust...

Last edited:
I think in the not too distant future we will see, just as you have with us, wholesale changes to the management, including their recruitment. Jim and his brother are data driven decision makers; they are both extremely intelligent people who are as sharp as a tack.

But of course the good news for us in the short term, it unlikely he'll be in situ and enabled to make wholesale changes before the end of February.

And Jim or his brother know they can't just chuck another £3-400 mil at recruitment, their finances have been undermined by the current regime in a massive way, they had to do this deal, or literally risk going bust...
Seems like a lot of clubs are facing a reckoning in the next year or so.

It's long overdue. It's the perfect storm, massive inflation in fees (exactly as predicted) along side the rules now having real teeth, combined with a mini credit crunch going on in football across most of Europe, the traditional hedge funds and fringe banks that have funded so many spending sprees are all now acting nervously wait to see which way the economies of Europe and here may tilt...

Everton in particular may now be in danger of going under, it's potential owners are now being sued again in the States for failing to provide info it was contracted to it's investors and not meeting payments to another - in my mind that rules them out of succeeding with the fit and proper rules and if that happens, Everton will be a financial basket case.

They could easily go into administration within months.

Seems they could face legal action over the owed agent fees which could result in winding up petitions. While I don't like kicking somone when they are down we would be helping them out in a way by giving them a fair price for Gibbs-White.
I know one of the agencies owed a considerable sum, at the moment they're prepared to work with them, but agents are not the most patient people when it comes to getting what they think they're owed.

Last edited:
It's long overdue. It's the perfect storm, massive inflation in fees (exactly as predicted) along side the rules now having real teeth, combined with a mini credit crunch going on in football across most of Europe, the traditional hedge funds and fringe banks that have funded so many spending sprees are all now acting nervously wait to see which way the economies of Europe and here may tilt...

Everton in particular may now be in danger of going under, it's potential owners are now being sued again in the States for failing to provide info it was contracted to it's investors and not meeting payments to another - in my mind that rules them out of succeeding with the fit and proper rules and if that happens, Everton will be a financial basket case.

They could easily go into administration within months.
Laing-O'Rourke, the main contractor on their new stadium, must be watching things very nervously.

Whilst many fans have often understandably whinged and complained about Levy and his being tight, losing deals that would have helped our playing side, and not paying over the odds etc. now we can see the sound and solid approach he has taken yielding the expected but delayed by COVID dividends for us. How satisfying it is to know that we are a soundly based club financially that have grown and still grow because of the prudent approach taken by Levy and the board. I get the frustrations but it takes time and good management to build the solid foundations on which our future excellence is being built. From me thank you Daniel and COYS.