The Future of the Club | Page 67 | Vital Football

The Future of the Club

T
This is exactly what the future financial security of the club is about,Bringing young players through to be sold for big money. It's the only way we are going to survive and the quicker we accept it the better.

Groundhog day springs to mind. Why do we keep attracting shit owners with zero affection for the club ? There are numerous other similar sized clubs with similar sized crowds happily plodding on due to owners that care.

T
This is exactly what the future financial security of the club is about,Bringing young players through to be sold for big money. It's the only way we are going to survive and the quicker we accept it the better.

It is the same for all clubs and we all know that. But now i think it's going to be a fire sale as part of a cost recovery exit strategy rather than a plan for future long term stability and those are quite different.

No one in the Wigan side at present is worth anything. Hughes. Looked good in a struggling ageing team in the championship. Might get a bottom end championship club looking at him But that’s about it

Groundhog day springs to mind. Why do we keep attracting shit owners with zero affection for the club ? There are numerous other similar sized clubs with similar sized crowds happily plodding on due to owners that care.
Management is also a major issue. If a MD/CEO is on the ball and understands the restrictions they are under they are less likely to have issues.

The owner needs to communicate what part of the plan went wrong, what has been done to fix it and where we are going in the future.

The idea of bringing young players in and selling for big money. Sounds good on paper. Before the days of Whelan we use to have a team full of talented young players. But typical Wigan we give them away As the first offer we will sell cheap

We all know we have to cut back. On the silly wages. We have been paying. But if this club stays in league one or even league 2. For any length of time. It will die Not a chance this club will keep going. In that stadium with the fans that that will come.

Since 1978 when Latics first joined the football league i dont think we have ever, as a town, cut the mustard with the football world, even though the club has consistently punched above its weight, the town as a whole as never really been there behind this club. Never really believed despite what the council wanted everyone to "believe" during the halcyon days of the Whelan family reign. And that in my opinion is the root of this clubs problems. Not the owners, because whoever owns the club, they will have to chuck millions at it, month after month, year after year just to keep doing what weve been doing since 1978, winning some, losing some. To put it bluntly the town is apathetic towards what should be, "one of its most sparkling jewels". We just aren't big enough are interesting enough to compete anymore.

Its all well and good fans saying that the most important thing is having a well run club to support. But a well run club still needs those millions pumped into just being that. And i know Wiganers, they demand success, this sporting town as been brought up on it. And if the brief became, (well run, but never win owt.) We would soon be hearing the call of "get some money spent". But alas we wont have any. But on the plus side we may have a couple of youngsters who the likes of Rochdale and Darlington have been casting an eye on. So fingers crossed.

I hate to say this, but the future looks grim for this club from where i'm standing.

Since 1978 when Latics first joined the football league i dont think we have ever, as a town, cut the mustard with the football world, even though the club has consistently punched above its weight, the town as a whole as never really been there behind this club. Never really believed despite what the council wanted everyone to "believe" during the halcyon days of the Whelan family reign. And that in my opinion is the root of this clubs problems. Not the owners, because whoever owns the club, they will have to chuck millions at it, month after month, year after year just to keep doing what weve been doing since 1978, winning some, losing some. To put it bluntly the town is apathetic towards what should be, "one of its most sparkling jewels". We just aren't big enough are interesting enough to compete anymore.

Its all well and good fans saying that the most important thing is having a well run club to support. But a well run club still needs those millions pumped into just being that. And i know Wiganers, they demand success, this sporting town as been brought up on it. And if the brief became, (well run, but never win owt.) We would soon be hearing the call of "get some money spent". But alas we wont have any. But on the plus side we may have a couple of youngsters who the likes of Rochdale and Darlington have been casting an eye on. So fingers crossed.

I hate to say this, but the future looks grim for this club from where i'm standing.
But it should never have been this way. We have been absolutely shockingly run since the owners came in. From the players we signed in that first season, going for older pros on long, inflated contracts, to the lack of commercial income. I think everyone would applaud Leam Richardson for what he did for us, but his reliance on the old guard meant we not only signed these duffers on ridiculous contracts we didn’t use the academy which again was doing its job in the background. The Toure reign was a disaster but it didn’t take him long to put young Hughes in the team who has turned out to be the one jewel from this season. Who knows, if Leam had shown some faith in these young lads from day one we would have saved millions and likely put them in the shop window. I think we can all agree from what we have seen from Hughes he could have easily done a job at League One even at 18. There’s probably one or two others that could have been given game time. It may not have resulted in promotion in the first season but it would have allowed us to build slowly. Where was the strategy? The problem is we have no one with the club at heart at the top. The biggest mistake the ownership made was not bringing someone like Jonathan Jackson in. Straight away you would have had that connection with the fans and he knows what we have in the academy. I think this is who the Supporters’ Club have in mind for their ‘football consultant’ but if I was Talal I would go out and get him as CEO (if he would take it!) as it is the only way the ownership have any chance of trying to rebuild some semblance of trust with the fans

If we get 6 or 7m for Robinson in sell ons, then couple of mill for Hughes, then sell the likes of Shinnie, McGrath to Scotland, then Lang, Keane, Whatmough to top end L1 clubs or bottom end Championship clubs all for modest fees then anyone else that we can you start to get towards 10m. Basically a fire sale.

Nixon just reported that we are looking to sell Hughrs to raise funds and Mansfield want Naylor on a free but we trying to get a fee.
But how much did we raise for Robinson, Gelhardt, Weir etc for during the admin?
How sure are we that Robinson will go for big money? Will he run down his contract so as to be £££ beneficial to him? When a club knows we are desperate for cash they will not offer the market value.

But how much did we raise for Robinson, Gelhardt, Weir etc for during the admin?
How sure are we that Robinson will go for big money? Will he run down his contract so as to be £££ beneficial to him? When a club knows we are desperate for cash they will not offer the market value.

We can't be sure of anything but I think that is their best case scenario they are hoping for. As getting in the Robinson money and Hughes sale then getting out is probably their only chance of really getting a decent portion of their investment back.

Hughes is by far the most valuable asset, allowing to leave on a cut price fee would be absolutely idiotic and show no long term plans are in place.

The common sense approach would be to make all fringe players on big wages available on free transfers. Clubs would be much more willing to match close to the wage demands if they don't have to pay a transfer fee on top. The likes of Naylor and Shinnie going would free the best part of 1m off the seasons outgoings. If we can continue to allow these bit part players to go for free then the wage bill could quickly drop below the 10m threshold, preventing panic sales. Any money raised from say a Robinson sell on, would then put us in a strong position with the budget.

If we ask for fees for Shinnie and Naylor, causing sales to fall through then sacrifice Hughes at cut price instead, then that would be one of the most idiotic things, people running the club have ever done.

Does anyone seriously believe the brains trust will negotiate a fair fee for Charlie Hughes? There's nobody on the board qualified to preside over the sale of a Freddo let alone arguably the club's most valuable player.

Krasner and Stanley's deals will look like Wildschut to Norwich compared to whatever our current set of clowns deem 'market value'.

Running the academy doesn't come cheap. After the cost of running the first team and the cost of running the stadium, the cost of the academy must come third in line. And that means its expensive. So with all the likely cutbacks inevitable its almost certain that the academy will also suffer. And that will certainly have a detrimental effect. This club is in a sorry mess and its going to have to face the toughest fight if it is to get out of it.
Full respect for what these owners did for the club after admin. But it as to be also said "what a mess since".

Hughes is by far the most valuable asset, allowing to leave on a cut price fee would be absolutely idiotic and show no long term plans are in place.

The common sense approach would be to make all fringe players on big wages available on free transfers. Clubs would be much more willing to match close to the wage demands if they don't have to pay a transfer fee on top. The likes of Naylor and Shinnie going would free the best part of 1m off the seasons outgoings. If we can continue to allow these bit part players to go for free then the wage bill could quickly drop below the 10m threshold, preventing panic sales. Any money raised from say a Robinson sell on, would then put us in a strong position with the budget.

If we ask for fees for Shinnie and Naylor, causing sales to fall through then sacrifice Hughes at cut price instead, then that would be one of the most idiotic things, people running the club have ever done.
Naylor and any other high earners are not going to take massive wage cuts just because we want them off the books. We will have to make deals with them same with Wyke and Magennis. Keane will go and Lang. And we will still be stuck with players on big wages