The Future of the Club | Page 66 | Vital Football

The Future of the Club

We've had 28 points deducted in 2 and half years - an EFL record. The EFL have rules. They're also there to support their member clubs. We are a member club. Bolton, Bury and Derby all behaved far worse. Rotherham got less punishment for numerous breaches. Oldham were never punished for bad payment. Their owners hushed it up.
Again, my point is the EFL seem to be quick off the mark in their punitive action towards us

I am losing track but i make it 26 points (at the moment), Luton had 30 points deducted in one season about 10 years ago. It got them relegated to the Conference. They did pretty well after so there is hope.

I am losing track but i make it 26 points (at the moment), Luton had 30 points deducted in one season about 10 years ago. It got them relegated to the Conference. They did pretty well after so there is hope.

Yes you're right it is 26..........at the time of writing that is.
There'll doubtless be a 2 point penalty hanging for the crafty fags in the es2 toilets.
And yes there is hope.
I remain optimistic

I asked this question in an earlier post, "does the EFL exist just to punish clubs or is it here to help?". My thoughts as a latics supporter would be " it tends to concentrate more on the former than the latter when coming to save the day".

I can already hear the response by some, (what else could they have done?) For a start they can begin with themselves. It as to be remembered the EFL are the same people who are "this league." These are the people who are allowing this league to fucking eat itself. They are the ones that "scruperously" vets any likely new owners that happen along. And what a fantastic job they have done at our club. (sarcasm). And that makes me think, how many potentially decent owners in the past have they thrown under the bus before reaching their often wrong decisions?

Some have the opinion that Wigan athletic are becoming the whipping boys of the league. I dont happen to think that. But it makes me wonder how the other 71 clubs manage to pay wages and all other expenses that come with running a professional football club better than we have done, post Whelan days. (Or do they?)

if we really are that crap, and we aren't capable of running things. Then early is the time when the EFL should step in with help. Not wait till its past that stage then come in all guns blazing and shooting mainly the innocents.

The EFL are running the show, they have responsibilities, they gave the thumbs up to Phoenix. And then by punishing the lifeblood of the game, the supporters, they are killing the game itself. You just have to be better EFL, otherwise the EFL itself will die.

I asked this question in an earlier post, "does the EFL exist just to punish clubs or is it here to help?". My thoughts as a latics supporter would be " it tends to concentrate more on the former than the latter when coming to save the day".

I can already hear the response by some, (what else could they have done?) For a start they can begin with themselves. It as to be remembered the EFL are the same people who are "this league." These are the people who are allowing this league to fucking eat itself. They are the ones that "scruperously" vets any likely new owners that happen along. And what a fantastic job they have done at our club. (sarcasm). And that makes me think, how many potentially decent owners in the past have they thrown under the bus before reaching their often wrong decisions?

Some have the opinion that Wigan athletic are becoming the whipping boys of the league. I dont happen to think that. But it makes me wonder how the other 71 clubs manage to pay wages and all other expenses that come with running a professional football club better than we have done, post Whelan days. (Or do they?)

if we really are that crap, and we aren't capable of running things. Then early is the time when the EFL should step in with help. Not wait till its past that stage then come in all guns blazing and shooting mainly the innocents.

The EFL are running the show, they have responsibilities, they gave the thumbs up to Phoenix. And then by punishing the lifeblood of the game, the supporters, they are killing the game itself. You just have to be better EFL, otherwise the EFL itself will die.
The owners need to be better as well you can’t blame the EFL for this shit show !

Does anyone seriously think that the EFL are going to Bend Over Backwards to keep Wigan Athletic in the Football league. with all the problems we have had over the last 12 months. When they have a club, with a longer heritage, and larger fan base Kicking the Door Down waiting to get In....

Does anyone seriously think that the EFL are going to Bend Over Backwards to keep Wigan Athletic in the Football league. with all the problems we have had over the last 12 months. When they have a club, with a longer heritage, and larger fan base Kicking the Door Down waiting to get In....
Maybe (and I'm not sure if they have or not) the esteemed council in Wigan could put some pressure on these lot. They seemed very supportive of Latics when we paraded the FA Cup around town.

Having a thick moment… who?

Recouping a portion of their loses.

I'm with Moonay on this KDZ.

Even with the possible money from the sale of Robinson, which would likely be paid in instalments rather than in a one off amount, and the possible money we could receive from current player sales it would not recoup much of the money invested over the last two seasons.

Nor would it do much to soften the blow of the losses that will be incurred in the following seasons.

I would also question the method of taking the money out of the club as, to my knowledge, other than the last seasons losses all Directors Loans have been converted to equity shares and therefore any amount taken from the club by Mr Al Jasmi would have to be in dividends and subject to taxation.

I can see no reason other than the stated aim of continuing to fund the club, at a reduced level and in a sustainable way and looking to stabilise the situation before selling on that the owner could have any chance of recouping any of his investment.

Administration would be the worst thing that could happen for the owner as without any loans in place he would be left in the same situation as other unsecured creditors.

Liquidation could be a route out whereby he could at least salvage some of his investment as the stadium and equipment therein would have some value, although I would assume that most of, if not all, the stadium would sell for would be gobbled up in redundancy pay to settle the players contracts.

It is difficult to understand were all this will lead to but I personally cannot see how there is any way that the shares he already holds from converting the losses already sustained can be recouped other than trading the club successfully for a couple of seasons and then selling on.

Tb, when a club is owed a sell on fee from a club its paid in one lump sum unless the club owed the money agrees to take it in installments.

Not sure myself but I think he means Chesterfield but then again he could mean Chorley :rolleyes:

Oldham? As far as I can see they're the only team to have played in the Prem and even come close to winning a major trophy. Can't exactly be accused of receiving any favours recently though

Reactions: GSM

Even with the possible money from the sale of Robinson, which would likely be paid in instalments rather than in a one off amount, and the possible money we could receive from current player sales it would not recoup much of the money invested over the last two seasons.

Nor would it do much to soften the blow of the losses that will be incurred in the following seasons.

I would also question the method of taking the money out of the club as, to my knowledge, other than the last seasons losses all Directors Loans have been converted to equity shares and therefore any amount taken from the club by Mr Al Jasmi would have to be in dividends and subject to taxation.

I can see no reason other than the stated aim of continuing to fund the club, at a reduced level and in a sustainable way and looking to stabilise the situation before selling on that the owner could have any chance of recouping any of his investment.

Administration would be the worst thing that could happen for the owner as without any loans in place he would be left in the same situation as other unsecured creditors.

Liquidation could be a route out whereby he could at least salvage some of his investment as the stadium and equipment therein would have some value, although I would assume that most of, if not all, the stadium would sell for would be gobbled up in redundancy pay to settle the players contracts.

It is difficult to understand were all this will lead to but I personally cannot see how there is any way that the shares he already holds from converting the losses already sustained can be recouped other than trading the club successfully for a couple of seasons and then selling on.

I don't think they probably believe they will ever get all of their money back at this point. So I suspect Al Jasmi wants to minimise loses and maximise what he can get back even if it's well below full costs.

They are clearly unwilling or unable to pay the wage bill as it is and we are likely going to struggle to get many of the big wages out as no other club will match the daft money we are paying. So even after the loan players and released players wages come off the wage bill is going to still be higher than they are willing to pay. So I don't think they are going to keep footing the bill for the next 12 months until everyones contract expires.

This seasons loses are going to be huge, probably we'll over 10m and that is still against the club. If they get Robinson money and sell Hughes for a decent fee they could end up with maybe 10m if they are lucky. I think if they got that back I think they'd probably think that's about as good as it's going to get and get out before the ongoing wage bill loses them even more money.

Imagine you are a player contracted to WAFC.
You have one more year on your contract
It is a good contract
You have lost faith in the club and its owners
Your agent gets you a 2 year contract on less wages with an extension clause for a third year
What would you do?
Bird in the hand etc.

Catch 22, only way for them to make money back on us is by selling us if we got into the premier league, but if we got into the premier league they wouldn't want to sell us because of the prestige.

I don't think they probably believe they will ever get all of their money back at this point. So I suspect Al Jasmi wants to minimise loses and maximise what he can get back even if it's well below full costs.

They are clearly unwilling or unable to pay the wage bill as it is and we are likely going to struggle to get many of the big wages out as no other club will match the daft money we are paying. So even after the loan players and released players wages come off the wage bill is going to still be higher than they are willing to pay. So I don't think they are going to keep footing the bill for the next 12 months until everyones contract expires.

This seasons loses are going to be huge, probably we'll over 10m and that is still against the club. If they get Robinson money and sell Hughes for a decent fee they could end up with maybe 10m if they are lucky. I think if they got that back I think they'd probably think that's about as good as it's going to get and get out before the ongoing wage bill loses them even more money.
Im trying to do the maths but i can't see Al Jasmi walking away with £10m. How did you get to this figure?

Im trying to do the maths but i can't see Al Jasmi walking away with £10m. How did you get to this figure?

If we get 6 or 7m for Robinson in sell ons, then couple of mill for Hughes, then sell the likes of Shinnie, McGrath to Scotland, then Lang, Keane, Whatmough to top end L1 clubs or bottom end Championship clubs all for modest fees then anyone else that we can you start to get towards 10m. Basically a fire sale.

Nixon just reported that we are looking to sell Hughrs to raise funds and Mansfield want Naylor on a free but we trying to get a fee.

T
If we get 6 or 7m for Robinson in sell ons, then couple of mill for Hughes, then sell the likes of Shinnie, McGrath to Scotland, then Lang, Keane, Whatmough to top end L1 clubs or bottom end Championship clubs all for modest fees then anyone else that we can you start to get towards 10m. Basically a fire sale.

Nixon just reported that we are looking to sell Hughrs to raise funds and Mansfield want Naylor on a free but we trying to get a fee.
This is exactly what the future financial security of the club is about,Bringing young players through to be sold for big money. It's the only way we are going to survive and the quicker we accept it the better.