The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 94 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Just back from having my knee scanned and it transpires that three weeks ago when I thought I had a slight hamstring pull I actually tore my cartilage. Been instructed to cease all exercise.
Shit.

Just back from having my knee scanned and it transpires that three weeks ago when I thought I had a slight hamstring pull I actually tore my cartilage. Been instructed to cease all exercise.
Shit.
Ouch. Not good. I tore my cartilage a few years back , but strangely enough after a couple of weeks it settled down and I carried on running and even did a ten mile run the day before the op to repair it.

Ouch. Not good. I tore my cartilage a few years back , but strangely enough after a couple of weeks it settled down and I carried on running and even did a ten mile run the day before the op to repair it.
Thanks sirdennis. Three years ago I tore the left knee in three places, and that recovered ok. Been told absolutely no running or distance walking for three weeks and see how we go. Feel much better now I know it's only the cartilage. It'll get sorted..

Thanks sirdennis. Three years ago I tore the left knee in three places, and that recovered ok. Been told absolutely no running or distance walking for three weeks and see how we go. Feel much better now I know it's only the cartilage. It'll get sorted..
You might want to consider physio after some rest, did they recommend this?

My BMI is 31.1, but getting it down is one of my main aims.

Went for a 5k run today, got soaked, saw a naked bloke stood in the middle of the road (no idea, police were present) and although it was tough I managed a time of 30m 45s, which is probably the fastest I've managed in a good 10 years.

It's a shame my jeans care more about the BMI than the running!
My BMI was 41 and as I've said many times I've been under the Hospital bariatric dietitian team for over 6 years now, so despite everything I do know more about weight loss than the man in the street who is a couple of stones overweight and thinks he's fat. I was the lightest in my group and felt like a fraud even at 133 kg heaviest.

They'd laugh at a BMI of 31, My consultant told me if I could get below 35 that would get me through my 70s and into my 80s where he said everyone is then on their own in the hands of him above.

My advice to you would be just cut down on your portion sizes eat sensibly and exercise by doing stuff you can keep up with easily and you will shed 3 stones in a year with no problem, all without being unhappy, hungry or doing any damage to your joints with excessive exercise. I read you play golf twice a week, that is more than enough exercise to be honest and a bloody sight more than I've ever done .
In saying that everyone has a unique body capable of different things, so you do have to find your limits.

My left shoulder is definitely improving with the physio I've been doing. In the last two weeks I have reintroduced some back, shoulder, chest and arm exercises alongside the physio exercises. Each week there is less discomfort. I think I'm a long way from serious pressing movements through (i.e. bench press). Still, good to be able to get back into the gym.

My left shoulder is definitely improving with the physio I've been doing. In the last two weeks I have reintroduced some back, shoulder, chest and arm exercises alongside the physio exercises. Each week there is less discomfort. I think I'm a long way from serious pressing movements through (i.e. bench press). Still, good to be able to get back into the gym.
Is your physio individual, part of a group or administered by a third party.

Looking back, to when my thyroid went overactive in 94, I was on the 1994 P38 Range Rover launch in Holland and Belgium for 2 weeks. Another of my little money-earning adventures (thanks you Land Rover). My mate and I had to check the front and rear prop fixings for hardness as a batch had got through that was too hard. If we were in a dealer there were ramps and air tools to whip the bolts out and fit new ones, used to get our day in by mid-day and off sightseeing. If they were in a dusty warehouse it was axles stand and rachets much sweating and swearing. That is when I noticed the sweat was dripping off my nose like a tap and I wasn't going at it like a loon either.

Got back and went to the doctor and then the hospital and was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, back then they knocked it out with radioactive iodine at City Hospital and gave me Thyroxine for life. Since then my weight has ballooned from 14st to 21st and now I'm down to 12st 7lb. I blame my thyroid condition, which is allegedly under control but obviously wasn't.

Anyone can have thyroid problems and not know but it's another thing that controls your whole body, so worth getting checked if you don't feel quite right.
It's serious enough to get free scripts for life just like Diabetes.

It's private one to one. After my injury I got a scan (privately) within a week then started physio the week after.
I also paid for the scan, and I'm pleased your pleased with the physio because I've always been a bit sceptical, but might now give it a go.

Thanks for the insight Villan57 and congrats on what you've achieved.

I'll keep going with getting myself fitter for now - I know it's not a race. As long as I stick to being sensible I'm sure my breathing (which is why I've been in and out of hospital for the last 12 months or so) will improve and over time the weight will come off.

I've cut out the litres of fizzy drinks, packs of ready meals and general artificial crap out of my diet and am sticking to things I'm preparing from scratch. I rarely feel hungry and it's no great hardship.

Just knowing I have a plan is great for the mind, too. The little physical victories (managing a 5K run, not missing a weights day for a month, etc.) are proving a great boost and pulling out a meal I've made and marking another Coke-free day in my diary produces a little smile.

I'm starting to overcome the idea of the 'quick fix' and once I've conquered that I'm sure I'll be unstoppable. My first holiday in years, a lads golf trip to Benidorm at the end of May is the only thing that's niggling me. I'd like to slim down a bit for then but I'm trying to put it out of my mind. The long game has to be the aim.

As you've said, we're all different and lots of folks have posted support and suggestions in this thread and it's really appreciated.

It all helps mentally. There's just the need to piece the bits of information together, try ideas out and see what works. I'm starting to do that.

As long as it gets me fitter, healthier and into my jeans, I'll be good.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice / support.

Looking back, to when my thyroid went overactive in 94, I was on the 1994 P38 Range Rover launch in Holland and Belgium for 2 weeks. Another of my little money-earning adventures (thanks you Land Rover). My mate and I had to check the front and rear prop fixings for hardness as a batch had got through that was too hard. If we were in a dealer there were ramps and air tools to whip the bolts out and fit new ones, used to get our day in by mid-day and off sightseeing. If they were in a dusty warehouse it was axles stand and rachets much sweating and swearing. That is when I noticed the sweat was dripping off my nose like a tap and I wasn't going at it like a loon either.

Got back and went to the doctor and then the hospital and was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, back then they knocked it out with radioactive iodine at City Hospital and gave me Thyroxine for life. Since then my weight has ballooned from 14st to 21st and now I'm down to 12st 7lb. I blame my thyroid condition, which is allegedly under control but obviously wasn't.

Anyone can have thyroid problems and not know but it's another thing that controls your whole body, so worth getting checked if you don't feel quite right.
It's serious enough to get free scripts for life just like Diabetes.
The thyroid hormones are pretty fundamental, if you become overactive or underactive there can be serious health implications. They can also have a knock-on effect on other hormones, for instance an overactive thyroid will reduce your testosterone levels.

Out of interest, when you were taking the medication were you encouraged by your GP to have regular blood tests?

The mother in law has a messed up thyroid. She lost a load of weight and was overactive, they intervened with medication and now she is borderline obese. She rarely has any blood work done. You'd think that given she's basically on hormone replacement therapy that she would be getting regular bloods done to see if her thyroid hormones are roughly in the right place, if they're not then they should be adjusting the dose.