The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

I am blown away by this plan. Great structure. But also, the control panel, goodness me. All the sort of coaching you would hope for, every excercise illustrated, points to watch out for and so on. Very much like a lot of the youtube clips - that he also links to - but with a fabulous structure (and obviously no searching around for the info.

I'm going to love this.

I was going to start at the base level, but having looked through now, there really is no need, I'm not a beginner, I'm beyond intermediary level really.

So will go beast level. And anyway, with the way he has done it, if you started to feel fatigued you could dial it down (and obviously if feeling good, dial up) if wanted.

This is going to be so much fun.

My gym has had a treat !

https://www.sports-tech.uk.com/ab-back-trainer-brt150-black

Looks a great bit of kit.

Also, now I'm starting the Beaxst training programme, bought myself some decent protein powder, glutamine, HMB and some collagen powder for an after workout recovery drink (prefer building my own, rather than buying ready mixed, as many ready mixed have creatine in and that just bloats me/upsets stomach)

4 mile run which was a mile warm up , then the Park Run route as fast as possible

Did that in 25.25 . I was hoping to go quicker but in fairness most of the route was running into the wind which was pretty fierce.

Start the new training plan later, but got an abs routine in so I have time to rest before that. And then decided to experiment. Managed 10 pull ups, first time in years. My body is surprising me at the moment. Always found pull ups the hardest, and chin ups the 'easier'. Chuffed.

(Thought I'd posted this hours ago!)

As mentioned in the interesting thread I've now lost 30lb, but my belly fat is still hanging around and finding it very difficult to shift despite exercise and diet.

Starting to think about specific 'fat burning foods'.

Done a bit of googling and I'm thinking adding 2 cups of Green tea and 1 apple to my daily diet will help.

Also replacing all potato usage with sweet potato.

I already eat a fair amount of Blueberries, hot chillis and oily fish.

Any other ideas anyone has around fat burning foods?

Maybe a glass of fruit juice each day? Which is best? Cranberry? Orange? Grapefruit?

I know these small changes aren't going to suddenly melt away my belly, but anything that helps is worth a go.

Yeah, it is tough shifting the fat, no doubt. My body fat is coming down well (can't recall last time you tested at mine, but i bet you yours is down from that measurement, those scales are decent to have for motivation but also to show you if you are or are not on the right track)

Obviously you can't spot reduce, so can't target the belly, (as you know I'm sure) but as body fat comes down, it does all start to go. I'm around 12% now but can still pinch more than I'd like to, so don't be too disheartened.

Avoid the fat burning pills (I know you've not mentioned them) but the ingredients do say a bit, caffeine and pepper basically. Heat up your system. I think you already have a fair amount of chillis, stoking the fires never hurt. Ah yes, sorry, just read up and you mention chillis, will leave this in for anyone else though.

I have an apple a day, good for many reasons, interested to know what you've read to make you think you will do that. Whatever, I would. I love the Jazz apples .. so tasty! Great for soluble fibre and so on.

You might want to cut down on the startchy food for a while, so less rice, potato, bread. But then, I'm eating it at the moment and with intense exercise as well, the fat is coming down, so do you want to restrict yourself? It is the one food that you can target to cut down on, just up the veg/salad and protein foods if you do cut those down.

I have googled normal v sweet potatoes a few times, never seemed a massive difference to me, but if you like sweet potatoes then no foul, no harm really isn't it?

NO to fruit juice. It is heavy on fruit sugars and to the body, sugar is sugar. You want your body to burn fat, not give it sugar as energy.

The one thing I always read was a grapefruit, or even half a grapefruit every day is good. I forget the details now, I used to do it, but turns out they can be bad if you are prone to kidney stones, so after my kidney stones, I stopped.****

The one thing is explosive exercise,you can't do it everytime otherwise your system becomes stretched. But my boxing for example, is very explosive. HITT is a method. I bought a jump rope (skipping rope) that you took the piss out of me for yesterday, (for calling it a butch 'jump rope' :lol::grinning::lol:) and was quite surprised how good that was.

The slow and steady walks are great, keep them up, but you will need some explosive exercise as well. Not sure how explosive the DTU sessions are, they sound pretty good from how you explained them.

When gyms re-open, I think you'll see far better results from weight training now as well, because you aren't looking to lose weight and train, you are looking to tone up, burn the rest of the fat and you will start to show some definition. And you can do explosive weights, as I said to you before, you can go from machine (and dumbel) to machine with lowish weight and just train to failure, move to the next, train to failure, move on and etc... You should end up soaking. As said, you cannot do that every time, it puts too much stress on the body, but it does stoke the fire. And the more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.

Keep on keeping on mate, don't get too frustrated (hard I know, I do at times but I just re-focus) because it does take time.

**** the grapefruit thing. From WEBMD:

Sorry, but grapefruit doesn't burn fat.
There have been a few studies about grapefruit and weight loss. In one, obese people who ate half a grapefruit before meals for 12 weeks lost more weight than those who didn't eat or drink any grapefruit products.
It may be that the water in grapefruit helps you feel full, and then you eat less. But if you're hoping that grapefruit will melt fat, you're going to be disappointed

There is a grapefruit diet, but if you read the instructions, it isn't to do with the grapefruit, it says cut down on starches etc.

https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/5-fat-burning-foods-speed-metabolism

Last edited:
I mentioned the fruit juice as I read that cranberries, strawberries, blackberries, kiwis, cherries, pears, peaches and apples are all high in ECGC which is the fat burning compound found in Green Tea, but yes I get what you're saying about the sugars, so maybe just 3 cups of Green Tea instead.

The DTU circuits are pretty intense, do 2 or 3 of those a week, then lots of long walks, the odd run, golf etc..

Yes defo need to do more resistance work, but really need the gym to do that properly I think.

Was just wondering what foods I could eat today help really.

Green tea seems to be the main one.

What has got the weight off me and toned me up is the tuna diet. I have loads of tuna every day. Tuna with loads of vegetables. No sauce obviously. Tuna is packed full of protein and has practically zero fat. If you get the tuna in spring water its really low on calories too.
Thats whats worked for me anyway. Tried to post before and after pics earlier but saying files are too big but i was an absolute mess physically for one reason and another.
Im down to about 14 maybe 15 % body fat now.
I am finding the last few % of fat hard to shift..... but isnt it fun going through this? Just makes me work out harder and smarter which is a good thing.

I'll glad when the swimming pools reopen. A bit of all over tuning up with no impact stress. I try to keep the fats intake down but I love cheese. Start the day with porridge and blueberries and always take a banana with me instead of a chocolate bar when I play golf.When I had my annual mot the nurse said I need to drink more water. Two litres a day was what she recommended. The unintended consequences of that can induce a bit of panic if I'm nowhere near a loo when I'm out.

I'll glad when the swimming pools reopen. A bit of all over tuning up with no impact stress. I try to keep the fats intake down but I love cheese. Start the day with porridge and blueberries and always take a banana with me instead of a chocolate bar when I play golf.When I had my annual mot the nurse said I need to drink more water. Two litres a day was what she recommended. The unintended consequences of that can induce a bit of panic if I'm nowhere near a loo when I'm out.
Argghhh cheese. My kryptonite.
I love it but gave it up about 3 months ago when i got really serious about the 10% body fat target.
Although cheese is a good source of protein and many body builders eat it daily, it does contain alot of sodium. And too much sodium will bloat the face and other areas due to some complicated mechanics of the body and water retention. My face is very vulnerable to bloating. When i experimented with creatine my face exploded like it looked when i was mega out of shape so i avoid sodium like the plague. And unfortunately cheese.

Oh I drink at the very least two litres, usually - especially training days - a fair bit more.

2nd day of the Athlene Total Beaxst. Pleased I realised I was up for the beast not basic mode. Loving the early days of this, the control panel and set up, plus tips and coaching are great.

Today was the flushing phase (one day weights, then flushing, then weights, flushing, weights, rest, rest)

Feck me. Used a jump rope (used to be called skipping ropes) and was gobsmacked how hard it is.

Did 150 (not in one sadly, most I did was 10-12 at a time, made it up to 50 each time, few minutes getting my breath and then onward. My coordination is a bit off but will be fun to see if I can improve. I'm sure it used to be easier!

Then a few other bits within the programme, and back to do another 50.

I also did some box jumps, (got a new box that goes 20", 24" and blimey, 30" Amazing how it takes a while for the mind to realise you can do it. First few I stalled. Then ended up landing on one foot, not both, then all of a sudden, boom.

As pooch had a long walk with my parents earlier today I went for a run on my own tonight.
As I did 8 miles yesterday was going to do a gentle one. Ended up doing a 10k. That did that then! .

4 mile tempo run last night. Realised I have done 3 runs in 4 days and on the other day did a 5 rep set with the kettlebell , so today will be what they call an active rest day.

Horrible isn't it, having to rest ! LOL

Not being as active as you folks, most of my exercise comes from walking, playing golf,( badly), and swimming when the pool is open. At the beginning of the lockdown I thought that it was just too easy to lapse into sitting around, the pools and golf courses being shut, so I set a target. I went for a very modest walking target of 30 miles a week. I've managed it and now I've become quite fanatical about getting out for my daily walk. Sometimes I shift as quickly as I can and sometimes I go for longer walks of 7 or 8 miles but a bit slower. It seems to keep me ticking over.