The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

First time in a long time, I'm looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. It is needed, will then see how I feel Monday, as I do think on this sort of intensity of plan, it should be 2 days rest but with this challenge today, it only caters for one. The next day on the programme includes deadlifts, which if done right, take up a lot of energy, I want to be ready for it!

Small relapse yesterday, but I didn't let it stop me. Still did 14 miles. It was like looking through to bottom of a pint glass for most of it, so I'm not sure how safe I was!!!!!

Not too bad today. Was worried I'd have a reaction, but seem OK.

Although weight can be deceiving, I did weigh myself a few weeks ago, and today it appears I've lost 5lbs, so I am happy.

Yeah, got four bags, the one is a nicely kickable bugger, I put on shin guards these days as well, nice protection!
This is a good example of how the kicks should be.
This channel is also really good for martial arts, techniques, exercises for heavy bags etc.. well worth a look.
Edit. Thats for the ladder kicks. Obviously single kicks for power are performed differently.

Last edited:
Cheers Col. I'm lucky, a mate of mine is a 7th dan black belt (I shit you not!) Tried a black belt one on one course with him, but with my brain aches, it proved too explosive, was a valiant attempt that wasn't dropped without a lot of chat and a lot of thought. The pressure rises very quickly with certain things and that is one of them. For most, the pressure equalises, for me, it doesn't.

He's a fascinating character, we seem to have a mutual appreciation society, both warriors in different ways (hope that doesn't sound trite).

Fascinating early life as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Only-Pain-Andy-Hopwood/dp/142590422X

Will give that video a good look, but at the moment what I am doing is more than a challenge enough, can't add anything else into the mix!

Cheers Col. I'm lucky, a mate of mine is a 7th dan black belt (I shit you not!) Tried a black belt one on one course with him, but with my brain aches, it proved too explosive, was a valiant attempt that wasn't dropped without a lot of chat and a lot of thought. The pressure rises very quickly with certain things and that is one of them. For most, the pressure equalises, for me, it doesn't.

He's a fascinating character, we seem to have a mutual appreciation society, both warriors in different ways (hope that doesn't sound trite).

Fascinating early life as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Only-Pain-Andy-Hopwood/dp/142590422X

Will give that video a good look, but at the moment what I am doing is more than a challenge enough, can't add anything else into the mix!
Jesus christ. I thought i had a good combat CV. He mades me look like the crumb of a biscuit that falls to the floor when you bite.

7 mile run done at 9 min per mile pace.

Went out with 5 others keeping the 2 metre distance between us of course . It doesn't half help having someone running the same pace to keep you going.

7 mile run done at 9 min per mile pace.

Went out with 5 others keeping the 2 metre distance between us of course . It doesn't half help having someone running the same pace to keep you going.

So basically you are using social distancing to account for finishing 10 metres or more behind the winner ?

9 mile run yesterday and 5 mile walk today. Both with pooch.

This is exercise related ..lol.... but ..

I do wonder if I over do it with pooch. Not the walking but the running. She is nearly 3 I stuck by the rules which is no running with a dog until they are 12 months and joints are developed but I worry whether it will cause issues , mainly arthritis when she is older. I do more in the spring and summer as it’s lighter and I try 4 runs a week of average 8 miles . She will run and run. Yesterday for example after the run we get back and she is tearing around the garden wanting to play. Most of the run she is off the lead as we are out in the fields so she often does her own thing and she catches me up as I run around the field . I don’t like running with her on the lead as it can feel like I am dragging her a bit and if it is hot she cools off in a stream on the route.
So it’s not the now, I manage it sensibly . For example it’s going to be 30 degrees by mid week, I won’t take her out in that, no way. But as said it’s the effect from now later in her life.
I am going to speak to the vet or a vet nurse to check which is clearly best thing to do.

3 should be fine for running - what breed again mate as I can't remember?

Sounds like the energy is there, so I guess the 'dragging' element comes from the desire to explore more than anything else?

You can still take her out, but make sure you have plenty of water I would say - even if you have to curb the distance a bit?

Definitely a question for an expert though, but in my head, I wouldn't overly be panicking - just make sure you have plenty of water, a doggy pool or turn the hose on her for a bit when you get back lol

9 mile run yesterday and 5 mile walk today. Both with pooch.

This is exercise related ..lol.... but ..

I do wonder if I over do it with pooch. Not the walking but the running. She is nearly 3 I stuck by the rules which is no running with a dog until they are 12 months and joints are developed but I worry whether it will cause issues , mainly arthritis when she is older. I do more in the spring and summer as it’s lighter and I try 4 runs a week of average 8 miles . She will run and run. Yesterday for example after the run we get back and she is tearing around the garden wanting to play. Most of the run she is off the lead as we are out in the fields so she often does her own thing and she catches me up as I run around the field . I don’t like running with her on the lead as it can feel like I am dragging her a bit and if it is hot she cools off in a stream on the route.
So it’s not the now, I manage it sensibly . For example it’s going to be 30 degrees by mid week, I won’t take her out in that, no way. But as said it’s the effect from now later in her life.
I am going to speak to the vet or a vet nurse to check which is clearly best thing to do.
Yeah defo ring the vet.
But please please please do not take your dog out in 30 degrees. That is asking for trouble. Not even for a walk. Well i dont anyway. I have a caucasian who cant go out if its over 20 degrees and a psycho nut job off his head minature labradoodle who is absolutely mental and fitter than Goggins but no way is he going for a walk in 30 degrees. No way.

3 should be fine for running - what breed again mate as I can't remember?

Sounds like the energy is there, so I guess the 'dragging' element comes from the desire to explore more than anything else?

You can still take her out, but make sure you have plenty of water I would say - even if you have to curb the distance a bit?

Definitely a question for an expert though, but in my head, I wouldn't overly be panicking - just make sure you have plenty of water, a doggy pool or turn the hose on her for a bit when you get back lol

Labrador.

From working stock so very small for a Lab. Hip scored etc. As I said I did everything to the letter when she was a puppy (first 12 months). No long walks, no running with her , didn’t let her jump in and out of cars, no ball chasing as the sharp turns can stress the developing joints.

Yeah , the ‘dragging‘ is because it’s a bit crap on the lead, to be fair she is rarely on a lead . But running with her at my side doesn’t feel right, she needs to be off exploring as I run around the field a few times.

Yeah defo ring the vet.
But please please please do not take your dog out in 30 degrees. That is asking for trouble. Not even for a walk. Well i dont anyway. I have a caucasian who cant go out if its over 20 degrees and a psycho nut job off his head minature labradoodle who is absolutely mental and fitter than Goggins but no way is he going for a walk in 30 degrees. No way.

Yeah absolutely mate. Doesn't happen in temps like that.

Get the double check mate, might be best to run on your own and just have a lemonade with the Lab in the garden and leave her to her own thing if we hit those temps given what you've said.

Being a lab, maybe just hide a few things around the garden to entertain to replace the run?

On occasions when it was that hot, at best we just took ours (mental but not small) to the shop and back - 7 houses up - so it wasn't a stretch but got her out and we had an old kiddies sandpit that we filled so she could lounge in it afterwards (did that after every walk unless it was pissing down to be fair).

Didn't really pictue this as a dog fitness thread gents. :grinning:

Heavy day for me today, starting with 2 sets of 4-6 deadlifts and ending with 2 sets of 4-6 deadlifts after the rest of the programme.

Beasting day for me. Just finished a small morning workout.
200 press ups (not all in one set)
3 x 50 tricep dips
Small ab routine
3 x 50 jumping squats. That earned me a coffee.

Later will be a 10k run, sprints, weight session then back in the field until complete exhaustion. Thats todays plan. And after yesterday i cant bloody wait.

If its hurting its working!!!!!!!

Did a press up ladder thing the other day. Started feet on the bench hands on floor for as many as I could - think it was 30 ish - then to the floor position, then onto knees up to 100 without a break. Worked quite well.

3 x 50 jumping squats. That earned me a coffee.

Sad to say I am no longer able to do those. When I say sad, I mean :wahey:

lol, horrible things! There is a power day later in the week on my programme, some will be fine, the rest I am going to do a boxing session for the power and explosion instead of what they are suggesting, as I know the problems a few of the exercises would put to the brain aches.