The FA Cup Thread | Page 92 | Vital Football

The FA Cup Thread

I tried to put Merson’s comments of a few weeks ago that we’re a 5 a side team out of my mind, particularly after our win at Spurs. But it keeps coming back. He thinks we’d be great at five a side tippy tappy but don’t have the players for the big pitch. He’s talking about Buendia, Couthino, Luiz, Sanson, Kamara I guess, and yes, they’d make a great indoor 5 a side team. Where is the power, pace and finishing? Nothing wrong with aforementioned players just that there are too many of them all offering the same.

Last edited:
The morning after the horror show I witnessed on BBC i-player. I've gone from down right angry to still generally pissed off and embarrassed. So what now? Firstly I'd love to see those responsible for that shit show on the pitch fined a month's wages for having the nerve to think the game was won before they had even stepped out onto the pitch, and the fine money given to the Birmingham Children's Hospital and Acorns Hospice. Secondly, and I think Unai and the powers that be are now on this with increased determination, I hope to see the club intensify our recruitment campaign for better and more professional players who will wear the shirt with respect and pride. I could start picking faults with individuals who masqueraded as footballers in claret and blue but then this will end up being longer than War And Peace. Not one of them can hold their head up and say they gave a good account of themselves. If I was Unai I'd have slapped everyone of them across the face as they sauntered into the dressing room at full time, slammed the door shut and launched a tirade that would have made Sir Alex blush and told them all they were on borrowed time at the club if they think that that was acceptible. With any luck we'll see 4 or 5 of these clowns kicked out the exit door this window. Hopefully too, this a harsh lesson for Unai to remember for the future, never take lower league opposition as easy prey, go full strength and show no mercy, kill the game and their hopes of an upset as fast as possible, the longer they feel they have a chance, the harder they become to beat.

Congratulations to Stevenage who never gave up hope and got their rewards.

Annoyed, embarrassed but also I just laughed when their goal went in cos it was typical villa. Almost expected.

Stevenege had a plan, defend in numbers, stay in shape, stay in the game and try a counter. We played faffy passes to each other and took pot shots from 30 yards cos we couldnt break down a league 2 team. All of our starting team have played international football.

When we scored, which was the only time a villa player ran into space, it was taken as a foregone conclusion that the match was won. When they scored the penalty, in typical villa fashion, panic swept across the whole team and it was inevitable that their next shot would go in.

Absolutely no point in playing Augustensson in a role where crosses are expected when he won't cross the ball... I always thought Nyland was actually just a hologram but Olsen is actually worse, I'd have played a half fit or injured Steer instead! His pass to dendoncker was such a hospital pass...although that was prevelant throughout the whole team yesterday (Emi was guilty of it too against Brighton) why is he passing to a player with someone close on him putting him under pressure so close to his own box.
Coutinho tailed off so dramatically last season, you'd have to have an inquiry over who green lit the 17m and wages for him. Baileys confidence is shot.

With 8 other prem teams exiting at the 3rd round, we had a chance to progress to at least the 5th round.
I was expecting some transfer news today to ease the frustration for the fans. But any selling club can add 2m to the price tag cos we are desperate.

Similar response to @Chieftoast - just laughed and then sighed.

Look, the one thing this isn't, it isn't football manager where you can buy whoever you want. I'm guessing that we are having trouble attracting the players that we want. Obviously didn't see the game yesterday but yet again Sanson is credited with a decent performance - can't quite understand why he's not been given a proper chance to prove himself.

Overall, the squad doesn't look fantastic and it's going to take Unai a while to shake the tree and drop the dead fruit. We do have a reasonably competitive first team but probably not of the class that will consistently perform at a high level and very little to come off the bench.

What's the answer? Unfortunately it's going to require patience and I'm pretty sure talented youngsters. To me it looks like we can't attract all of our targets. I'm not even sure if those we've been linked with are the caliber we require to take significant steps forward, so let's wait and see what the January sales bring - hopefully a bargain or two.

Saw the match except the last 20 minutes. Shocked! But not that surprised.

We needed speed and creativity in attack. Only Bailey was attempting to provide it. Coutinho totally useless and should never play for us again. Most of the others didn't advance the calls for us keeping them. We now have a decent first team which can be built on but the backup is very very thin. Luiz did what he could.

Easy to say but I think Archer would have provided some off this extra which we needed.

First thing I heard when I got into work this morning was "I thought you'd be too ashamed to come in today!"

And he's a Leeds fan, so I hope he's not giving it both barrels next Monday morning.

Why should you be ashamed. The ones on the pitch are the ones who were shit. Presumably this leeds fan was too ashamed to come into work between 2004 and about 2019.

Watched the goals again with a level head and honestly I have more issue with Dendonker and Watkins than Olsen. With that said I never want Olsen to play for us again but its truly not his fault. I do agree looking at it again he should probably go long because both CBs are occupied and ab-so-fucking-lutely he has to save that second shot at the near post.

Dendonker, that pass he received from Olsen was a routine pass, it was not misplaced or over hit its a simple fucking pass. Its Dendonkers arrogance to think he can beat the man because he wouldn't do that against EPL opposition. Dendonker knows he is fucking there, he knows he is being closed down all he has to do it pass it back to Olsen or out to Cash or he can even square it to Chambers because their pressing player isnt actually doing a good job.

The corner for me is on Ollie, he is the closest person to the ball and I don't know who he is looking for to chase the player down. He didnt come running from behind him, he could see the man coming short and waits for someone else before taking charge himself. Its the second time in a week seen him defend a shot like that too.

Don’t fret everyone. We are now back under the radar. This morning it’s all about Chelsea and how useless Potter is on the beeb sport website.
Although we did make the wrong sort of headlines on Channel 5 news tonight , with Steve Evans rightly milking it for all it's worth.

Just watched the "highlights" of the embarrassment we gave ourselves, earlier today. The goal we scored was fantastic and that is the kind of creative and entertaining football I am expecting Unai to instill in the team. As for the goals conceded, what a risky pass played by Olsen but what was worse was Dendocker's lack of ability to protect the ball and the worst was the utterly stupid foul which lead to the penalty and his sending off. The 2nd goal was the worst corner defending I have seen, how on earth their goal scorer was left unmarked and allowed to have so much time and space to have a shot on goal was incredible. On top of that Watkins was half-hearted in his sissy attempt in trying to block the shot. Lastly, Olsen had so much time to prepare to get down in time to save the goal and yet he conceded. Despite the above, I still feel we could and should have outscored a League 2 side for FFS and we did not. If Sanson is the one we are trying to sell and was the best player on the pitch, then what use are the other 10 twats for? I'd be looking to keep him and sell the other useless embarrassments first. Personally, I am pissed off greatly with Coutinho, what a waste of space, closely followed by Bailey.

Watched the goals again with a level head and honestly I have more issue with Dendonker and Watkins than Olsen. With that said I never want Olsen to play for us again but its truly not his fault. I do agree looking at it again he should probably go long because both CBs are occupied and ab-so-fucking-lutely he has to save that second shot at the near post.

Dendonker, that pass he received from Olsen was a routine pass, it was not misplaced or over hit its a simple fucking pass. Its Dendonkers arrogance to think he can beat the man because he wouldn't do that against EPL opposition. Dendonker knows he is fucking there, he knows he is being closed down all he has to do it pass it back to Olsen or out to Cash or he can even square it to Chambers because their pressing player isnt actually doing a good job.

The corner for me is on Ollie, he is the closest person to the ball and I don't know who he is looking for to chase the player down. He didnt come running from behind him, he could see the man coming short and waits for someone else before taking charge himself. Its the second time in a week seen him defend a shot like that too.
That’s what I thought, the half arsed speed of Ollie to get out and close the man down, followed by a pathetic attempt to block the shot and turning his back on it. Olsen should have done better but I’d put just as much blame on Ollie. Dendoncker! The casual way we were playing it was only a matter of time until someone dropped a bollock at the back

I tried to put Merson’s comments of a few weeks ago that we’re a 5 a side team out of my mind, particularly after our win at Spurs. But it keeps coming back. He thinks we’d be great at five a side tippy tappy but don’t have the players for the big pitch. He’s talking about Buendia, Couthino, Luiz, Sanson, Kamara I guess, and yes, they’d make a great indoor 5 a side team. Where is the power, pace and finishing? Nothing wrong with aforementioned players just that there are too many of them all offering the same.

Just watching Arsenal - they are very direct - defence splitting passes - and long balls for Sakha to chase. None of this slow ponderous build up that we are told is 'the way to play'

My son said at the time why hasn't Watkins gone to close that man down, this is before the kick was taken and we could all see it happening. Well its because hei job is to mark the space at the near post and he's such a fabricated player that is what he did. If he'd left that pstt to go out to the player Emery would had done his nut if they then fired the corner near post.
Watkins couldn't win but that said he should have been out quicker but feck me we shouldn't have been in that situation had the players played hard and fast for 90 mins

Just watching Arsenal - they are very direct - defence splitting passes - and long balls for Sakha to chase. None of this slow ponderous build up that we are told is 'the way to play'

There is a huge misconception about Pep that he is an attacking coach, he isn't he is a cautious coach and he describes himself that way. Pep's entire philosophy is around keeping the ball and not giving the opponents any opportunities. Pep wants to remove any chaos, so no long balls, no risky passes, no playing at speed and keeping your shape.

Newcastle did so well against them because they caused chaos, you have to knock City out of their roboticness and you have to seize on the limited mistakes they make.

Arteta and ETH seem to be taking good bits of Peps style and then augmenting it. Like ETH looking Weghorst is interesting because he won't be afraid to go long but Pep will never do that. Arteta is similar he is injecting much more pace into the team and relying a little more on the indiviudal abilities of Saka and Martinelli to beat their men. Pep seems to discourage that.