The European Championship ‘21 | Page 33 | Vital Football

The European Championship ‘21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately a lot of football fans have very low IQ. The result is what you say.
Whilst you are right, I think there is more to it than just that. Football fans of many countries often aren't the brightest, yet English fans are shown to be doing this time and time again. There has to be a cultural element to English society that is driving these sorts of behaviours when drinking and/or at football matches.

I'm not saying football violence is unique to England as obviously there are dark elements in Eastern European football. But just standard events in UK/England seem so frequently to result in drunken, violent, anti social behaviour. There's a weird mentality of accepting it as normal part of a 'fun' night out.

Whilst you are right, I think there is more to it than just that. Football fans of many countries often aren't the brightest, yet English fans are shown to be doing this time and time again. There has to be a cultural element to English society that is driving these sorts of behaviours when drinking and/or at football matches.

I'm not saying football violence is unique to England as obviously there are dark elements in Eastern European football. But just standard events in UK/England seem so frequently to result in drunken, violent, anti social behaviour. There's a weird mentality of accepting it as normal part of a 'fun' night out.

My old man was a Chav ****** hooligan. So I was brought into violence at a young age.

I remember many times going into the Chelsea pubs as a kid and there would be fans bottling each other and smashing chairs over people's heads.

I met the famous head hunters many a time. I never supported the chavs though. Have been a spurs lad since I was 4.

When I was 16 I would quite often go to the lane on my own. Standing with the Spurs hardcore. I would even drink with them at the Corner pin regularly.

But I never got involved with any of it. Have always wanted a good time not a hard time.

That's not to say I never got caught up in any of it.

People in the main are sheep and won't analyse any situation. They will just follow.

Up bringing certainly plays it's part.

Meee, look up a book by Desmond Morris called The Football Tribe, from the 70's if memory is right, a very good read.

I will admit I was a "Parklane Bootboy" part time really cos it was during my early Service Career years, I have very many memories, bad ones the least, the majority good ones, comradeship etc, it was all part of growing up, have no regrets, it is/was what it is/was simple as that.

Team of the tournament

Gianluigi Donnarumma (Italy); Kyle Walker (England), Leonardo Bonucci (Italy), Harry Maguire (England), Leonardo Spinazzola (Italy); Jorginho (Italy), Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (Denmark), Pedri (Spain); Federico Chiesa (Italy), Romelu Lukaku (Belgium), Raheem Sterling (England)

It must of really hurt for UEFA to have to name 3 of ours :LOL:

Now let's go and buy Pedri

What no Kane?

Is there something I’m missing with Sterling ?
I just don’t get it .
Can someone enlighten me please .
I cannot remember when he ran at defenders and contributed anything positive . He loses the ball and gets us nowhere .
I know his pass to Kane led to a goal , but what else .
Tap ins from two metres , brilliant at those .

Doesn’t defend , watches and waves his arms about in midfield when he is nowhere near the ball .
Awful at passing .
If I’m wrong , please tell me , I’m willing to be educated , but please don’t refer to his club form where he is supported by world class players .
I could score for city if I could keep up with their midfield .

This may resonate with a few here:

I waited 55 years for nothing. If I can get over it, so can you

Hunter Davies witnessed the win in 1966 then five decades of losses. He has some words of wisdom for the heartbroken younger fans of today

By Hunter Davies 12 July 2021 • 7:29pm

FootballDigi_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

The younger generation are moaning and sobbing about how heartbroken they are, but I have seen it all before

I was there in 1966. Gosh how much fun it was - coming away from the old Wembley thinking that’s it, we will now be at the top forever.
I am here, 55 years later, having been following England all this time. God, it has mostly been hell, so annoying, so very frustrating. I still can’t believe we got stuffed by Iceland in 2016 which saw us knocked out of the Euros. A year before that, we got knocked out of the World Cup after five days. The 4-1 defeat by Germany in 2010. And so it goes on.
On Sunday night I was behind the sofa. On my own. I had been with my girlfriend for the weekend, but had come home to watch it alone. As I always do. When my son was young we would watch the games together, but he would talk all the way through about what’s for supper, who are Spurs playing next and his sore tummy and I would have to explain you are only allowed to talk about what is actually happening on the screen. Otherwise belt up.
I have never cared for watching with others, in a pub or a group either. The noise, the distractions, the people. I like to be alone with my pain and my pleasures. I always leave the room at half time, never listening to the clever clog commentators. I have enough banal thoughts of my own.
Sunday, of course, was a pain. I could not understand why Gareth brought on Henderson, a pedestrian player, when the score was 1-1 and they needed another goal. Surely Gorgeous Jack was the obvious choice? Then bringing on three young subs, still in nappies, just to take penalties. Potty or what?
I have waited 55 years for another England final. At this rate I am going be 140 before we get to another one.

Hunter Davies has followed England through many tournaments – and many disappointments Credit: Andrew Crowley
The younger generation are moaning and sobbing about how heartbroken they are. I have seen it all before. I can cope. But here are a few observations and words of wisdom to the young, who feel they will never get over it.
  1. Gareth may now not get his knighthood, or Harry. Is this such a bad thing? Surely you have always been against titles anyway.
  2. Bang goes the new Bank Holiday, thank goodness. What this country needs is to get back to work, not to sit on our bums in the park drinking horrible sweet drinks. Boris can now take off his horrible, sweaty, cheap England top and let his belly flop out over his trousers, as usual.
  3. Look upon this loss as a metaphor for life. Just when you think it can’t get better, wham, something nasty or unexpected happens. You can’t bank on anything. That’s life. That’s football. Never get too carried away.
  4. Thank God for small mercies. The Italian didn’t win the men’s singles at Wimbledon. It was won by one of our own. Hold on, Serbian. And at least we won't hear that awful Three Lions song and that drippy Sweet Caroline. Well, until the next time.
  5. We also won’t have to endure that corny headline “55 Years of Hurt again." Oh God, next year it will be 56 Years of Hurt, then 57, 58, till the last syllable of extra time. Get used to it.
  6. Relish the good stuff. Like the way Luke Shaw, having been rubbished by Mourinho and all the back pages for the last year, became a hero, scoring after just one minute and 57 seconds – the fastest ever goal at a European Championship final. Wow. Come on, what a moment; the whole nation erupted. Remember that and be grateful.
  7. Jordan Pickford, with his new floppy hair style, saved two penalties – how often does that happen? Praise where praise is due.
  8. Remember too, we were winning for most of the game – it was 1-0 till the 67th minute, which means we were leading for almost all the game. We were therefore 72 per cent the winners. That doesn’t sound too bad. Respect.
  9. Someone has to win. It’s a game of two halves, two teams. One wins, one loses, that’s life. Surely you have other things going on? Stop going on about it. It’s only a game. Get a grip. Don’t be pathetic.
  10. Think of the happy scenes in Rome, what pleasure it brought them. Don’t be mean. They deserve a break, having to put up with rubbish TV, men smothered by their mothers, unable to cook a proper English breakfast and having a new government every week. They suffered terribly in the early days of the pandemic. And who created the vaccines? Well then.
  11. Who’s going to win the World Cup next year? Ingerland!
Just remember this. It is far worse for the players. OK, so they have millions in the bank, gated mansions and their own hair stylist, but you are the one who has a normal life – you got up this morning and went to school or work. They have to live with the result, every day for the rest of their lives. For them, football is their life and work. They can’t escape it. From the age of eight, they have been shouted at by horrible coaches and not allowed the normal growing up rites of passages and pleasures. And then a night like Sunday happens, their moods will darken; they may wonder what the point is? They will be facing retirement at 35, their purpose gone. Money in the bank but arthritis in the bones. So it is them we need to feel sorry for, not ourselves. We will get over it, just as we always have done.

Hunter Davies witnessed the win in 1966 then five decades of losses. He has some words of wisdom for the heartbroken younger fans of today

The younger generation are moaning and sobbing about how heartbroken they are, but I have seen it all before

I was there in 1966. Gosh how much fun it was - coming away from the old Wembley thinking that’s it, we will now be at the top forever.
I am here, 55 years later, having been following England all this time. God, it has mostly been hell, so annoying, so very frustrating. I still can’t believe we got stuffed by Iceland in 2016 which saw us knocked out of the Euros. A year before that, we got knocked out of the World Cup after five days. The 4-1 defeat by Germany in 2010. And so it goes on.
On Sunday night I was behind the sofa. On my own. I had been with my girlfriend for the weekend, but had come home to watch it alone. As I always do. When my son was young we would watch the games together, but he would talk all the way through about what’s for supper, who are Spurs playing next and his sore tummy and I would have to explain you are only allowed to talk about what is actually happening on the screen. Otherwise belt up.
I have never cared for watching with others, in a pub or a group either. The noise, the distractions, the people. I like to be alone with my pain and my pleasures. I always leave the room at half time, never listening to the clever clog commentators. I have enough banal thoughts of my own.
Sunday, of course, was a pain. I could not understand why Gareth brought on Henderson, a pedestrian player, when the score was 1-1 and they needed another goal. Surely Gorgeous Jack was the obvious choice? Then bringing on three young subs, still in nappies, just to take penalties. Potty or what?
I have waited 55 years for another England final. At this rate I am going be 140 before we get to another one.

Hunter Davies has followed England through many tournaments – and many disappointments Credit: Andrew Crowley
The younger generation are moaning and sobbing about how heartbroken they are. I have seen it all before. I can cope. But here are a few observations and words of wisdom to the young, who feel they will never get over it.
  1. Gareth may now not get his knighthood, or Harry. Is this such a bad thing? Surely you have always been against titles anyway.
  2. Bang goes the new Bank Holiday, thank goodness. What this country needs is to get back to work, not to sit on our bums in the park drinking horrible sweet drinks. Boris can now take off his horrible, sweaty, cheap England top and let his belly flop out over his trousers, as usual.
  3. Look upon this loss as a metaphor for life. Just when you think it can’t get better, wham, something nasty or unexpected happens. You can’t bank on anything. That’s life. That’s football. Never get too carried away.
  4. Thank God for small mercies. The Italian didn’t win the men’s singles at Wimbledon. It was won by one of our own. Hold on, Serbian. And at least we won't hear that awful Three Lions song and that drippy Sweet Caroline. Well, until the next time.
  5. We also won’t have to endure that corny headline “55 Years of Hurt again." Oh God, next year it will be 56 Years of Hurt, then 57, 58, till the last syllable of extra time. Get used to it.
  6. Relish the good stuff. Like the way Luke Shaw, having been rubbished by Mourinho and all the back pages for the last year, became a hero, scoring after just one minute and 57 seconds – the fastest ever goal at a European Championship final. Wow. Come on, what a moment; the whole nation erupted. Remember that and be grateful.
  7. Jordan Pickford, with his new floppy hair style, saved two penalties – how often does that happen? Praise where praise is due.
  8. Remember too, we were winning for most of the game – it was 1-0 till the 67th minute, which means we were leading for almost all the game. We were therefore 72 per cent the winners. That doesn’t sound too bad. Respect.
  9. Someone has to win. It’s a game of two halves, two teams. One wins, one loses, that’s life. Surely you have other things going on? Stop going on about it. It’s only a game. Get a grip. Don’t be pathetic.
  10. Think of the happy scenes in Rome, what pleasure it brought them. Don’t be mean. They deserve a break, having to put up with rubbish TV, men smothered by their mothers, unable to cook a proper English breakfast and having a new government every week. They suffered terribly in the early days of the pandemic. And who created the vaccines? Well then.
Just remember this. It is far worse for the players. OK, so they have millions in the bank, gated mansions and their own hair stylist, but you are the one who has a normal life – you got up this morning and went to school or work. They have to live with the result, every day for the rest of their lives. For them, football is their life and work. They can’t escape it. From the age of eight, they have been shouted at by horrible coaches and not allowed the normal growing up rites of passages and pleasures. And then a night like Sunday happens, their moods will darken; they may wonder what the point is? They will be facing retirement at 35, their purpose gone. Money in the bank but arthritis in the bones. So it is them we need to feel sorry for, not ourselves. We will get over it, just as we always have done.
What a brilliant read . Thanks Ex .
Hunter Davies wrote a great book on Tottenham once .
A full on Spurs supporter I think .

I don’t get the subs tactic Southgate was using .
Putting on player A , twenty minutes later , taking off player A for somebody else .
a sub tactic that set out to not upset many of the squad ,
weird !
Did he really think , actually think , that taking penalties in training was anything like taking a penalty in front of thousands at the stadium and over thirty five million on television in a major tournament final .
Did he actually think that !

Superb read.

Meee, look up a book by Desmond Morris called The Football Tribe, from the 70's if memory is right, a very good read.

I will admit I was a "Parklane Bootboy" part time really cos it was during my early Service Career years, I have very many memories, bad ones the least, the majority good ones, comradeship etc, it was all part of growing up, have no regrets, it is/was what it is/was simple as that.
When you was a Park Kane boot boy , Pompey , do you remember being showered by sharpened penny pieces throw by the goon supporters who , for some inexplicable reason , along with all away fans , were accommodated ABOVE US , in the Park Lane end of the Shelf . It was carnage , ….. my mate had his cheek ripped open .
There were hundreds of the kin things just thrown at us .

The policing has been like that abroad for a long while , I gave up following Tottenham abroad after the so called riots in Rotterdam .

We were penned in , on the top tier of the stadium behind one of the goals , had nowhere to go , sheer drop in front of us , sheer drop behind , and Home fans either side . We were attacked and had to defend ourselves or tried to until the riot police turned up and set the dogs loose .
It was like shooting fish in a barrel .
There was no distinction between the passive and aggressive supporters . You just got smashed in the ribs and legs with batons as they waded through us . The exits were manned and we had nowhere to go .
I will agree there were a lot of “fans “ who were there with an agenda .
I was in hospital for two days with Gonads the size of melons after a good beating for trying to help my mate , who was face down and getting trampled on .
I gave up following England after Paris in 2002 , same thing happened there .

There was a greater police presence then , the Euro tunnel police were questioning everyone before we got on the train and we had to fill out forms , we were photographed and documented.
Didnt stop the french riot police hitting who they liked though .

That is a terrible experience Walt.

And worse, your gonads shrunk to the size of melons!

When you was a Park Kane boot boy , Pompey , do you remember being showered by sharpened penny pieces throw by the goon supporters who , for some inexplicable reason , along with all away fans , were accommodated ABOVE US , in the Park Lane end of the Shelf . It was carnage , ….. my mate had his cheek ripped open .
One year at Middlesboro they threw oranges with razor blades in them. How would you even think of something like that FFS!

Walt I do not remember that, thinking back If my memory is correct I heard about it, remember also mate many games I couldn't get to...Duty to Country and all that.

Don't forget Italy, where stabbings and wanton drunken violence is just as frequent.

I don't believe many think it's normal or fun here, but more they are just resigned to it as we simply don't come down hard enough on the perpetrators., some of which are just serial offenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.