The European Championship ‘21 | Page 31 | Vital Football

The European Championship ‘21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it may not be possible mid tournament, I really don't understand why for a final, the last match of the tournament, a play until you drop approach is not adopted. The first team to score after the regulation ninety minutes wins, irrespective of how long it takes.

Not sure if it was adopted at International level but was the "Golden Goal" tried out some years ago, I can remember a couple of games where the first team that scored during extra time were the winners

The refs seem to ignore repeated fouls all tournament. The ref let them carry out outright assaults on us. Kane hardly got off the ground second half as he was held around the chest. He was later straight armed in the chest but ref saw it but bottled it. The shirt pull on Sakah's neck was a red card. Ho hum. Grealish assault was another red card. Mount two poor games in a row.

Not sure if it was adopted at International level but was the "Golden Goal" tried out some years ago, I can remember a couple of games where the first team that scored during extra time were the winners
Think it was, but I'm saying take it a step further and if it takes four hours for somebody to score, so be it.

As a neutral I can only say,watching the game, I couldn't believe how much England sat back after going ahead,you are at home in a major final,go for the jugular ffs.They only came to life when Italy equalised and actually looked the better team when pressing Italy. Southgate was way too cautious,not bringing Grealish on sooner,he seemed to be afraid to change any one of Kane or Sterling up front because he would probably be slaughtered for it. Also,as Keane pointed out, why some of your senior players allowed that young kid to take a peno in such a pressure cooker situation is baffling.
Italy were worthy winners but its another missed opportunity for England, reminds me of Spurs.

When you play two defensive DMs in Rice and Phillips you don't need to play 3 CBS. Basically playing 8 defensive players in a game.

Poor mentality from Southgate.

As some ex football players are saying Mancini is a proactive manager Southgate is a reactive. Southgate reminds me of Poch at times.

When you play two defensive DMs in Rice and Phillips you don't need to play 3 CBS. Basically playing 8 defensive players in a game.

Poor mentality from Southgate.

As some ex football players are saying Mancini is a proactive manager Southgate is a reactive. Southgate reminds me of Poch at times.

Reminds me of a really shit, bargain basement version of Maureen.

Having read everything, and in total agreement think it is difficult to add to the reasoning written on here.

My experience last night, sat down to watch, England go 1 up, Shaw, mmm I thought maybe just maybe, go get the 2nd, Italy are not coping, but slowly but surely over the next 25 or 30 mins England started their normal course, hold on, giving the Italians the incentive, thus started getting bored, so picked up my daily criptic crossword, so sad.

Watched the pens, score the first 2, Italy only 1, 3rd pen fool gk into going wrong way then hit post, missing clear open goal, reaction from me, that's it final lost.

50 plus years to the next final, unfortunately I will not be around to witness the demise lol!

Having read everything, and in total agreement think it is difficult to add to the reasoning written on here.

My experience last night, sat down to watch, England go 1 up, Shaw, mmm I thought maybe just maybe, go get the 2nd, Italy are not coping, but slowly but surely over the next 25 or 30 mins England started their normal course, hold on, giving the Italians the incentive, thus started getting bored, so picked up my daily criptic crossword, so sad.

Watched the pens, score the first 2, Italy only 1, 3rd pen fool gk into going wrong way then hit post, missing clear open goal, reaction from me, that's it final lost.

50 plus years to the next final, unfortunately I will not be around to witness the demise lol!

Being a spurs fan is extremely similar to being an England fan isn't it?

Southgate got a lot wrong yesterday. I was personally pleased he started with a back 3 as it gabe us flexibility to change as required. Here lies the problem as he didnt change it. When Italy started to get a foothold early in the second half it was crying out for Grealish and Saka. The manager was too cautious and the changes were made too late. Italy were there for the taking had we gone for it.
You also cannot expect a player to take a penalty in such a pressured situation when they havent hardly touched the ball.
If you want to bring on penalty takers fine but not in the 120th minute. Poor managemebt decision that.
I said before the game its ours to lose.
My god this sounds so Spurssy

If the 96' team (who lost to Germany in the most unfortunate way in the semi..by centimetres when sicknote hit the post and Gazza missed the cross), were to play the current England team the score would be 5-0 minimum to the attack minded positive '96 team. There is absolutely zero comparison of the quality and desire and commitment of those two teams ...chalk and cheese.....'96 deserved glory and did not get it, this team got to the final and blew it! What has happened to positive forward play?

I know you should not compare teams from different generations but HEH! it makes the point

Yep, despite reaching the final they've never been an easy ninety minute watch.

The refs seem to ignore repeated fouls all tournament. The ref let them carry out outright assaults on us. Kane hardly got off the ground second half as he was held around the chest. He was later straight armed in the chest but ref saw it but bottled it. The shirt pull on Sakah's neck was a red card. Ho hum. Grealish assault was another red card. Mount two poor games in a row.
TBH, I was impressed with the ref. He allowed the play to go on, exception being not sending off the the guy that followed though on Grealish.

He was having none of Kane's constantly holding his ankle, yet getting up when nothing given and the customary Sterling dives that also came to nothing. He ruled out many free kicks for Italy's dark arts too. So a fair handling imo.

So, the two of our regular free kick winners were out of the game and the 3rd (Grealish) came on too late!

I'm just angry now. Angry with Southgate, angry with Kane and especially angry with UEFA.

Southgate has had 3 years to mould a pattern of play for these guys. He wasted it and panicked going into the tournament by just building a last minute ultra-defensive setup. 5 debuts a years and no settled first team. We finished the tournament playing hoof ball against the complete instinct of every one of our players. The most incompetent manager in the tournament and got owned by most managers. Only this great generation of players pulled him through to the final. He'll get the accolades, and will f*ck up again in 18 months time.

Moving onto Kane. He should feel thoroughly ashamed of his professional attitude in these last 6 months. He is stupid enough to believe he can create a narrative around himself. He says things like "we will be playing for the dead Chelsea fan" and then crosses the white line and gives 80%. Us fans that pay to watch you Harry can see right through you. You're a hypocrite and in no way deserve to win the Euro's, unlike your squad mates.

As for UEFA, the agenda against England is crystal clear. Kuipers delivered the perfect execution for the bigwigs at UEFA. He gave England nothing and made sure the initiative was handed to Italy. He blatantly ignored the rules he was there to administer. We have no choice now but to start training the dark arts into every young player. The "yellow card tightrope" is long gone in the game and we just need to understand that is the way it is going to be.

Final thought. Well done Italy and especially Mancini. There is not a bit of me that begrudges their win.

I'm just angry now. Angry with Southgate, angry with Kane and especially angry with UEFA.

Southgate has had 3 years to mould a pattern of play for these guys. He wasted it and panicked going into the tournament by just building a last minute ultra-defensive setup. 5 debuts a years and no settled first team. We finished the tournament playing hoof ball against the complete instinct of every one of our players. The most incompetent manager in the tournament and got owned by most managers. Only this great generation of players pulled him through to the final. He'll get the accolades, and will f*ck up again in 18 months time.

Moving onto Kane. He should feel thoroughly ashamed of his professional attitude in these last 6 months. He is stupid enough to believe he can create a narrative around himself. He says things like "we will be playing for the dead Chelsea fan" and then crosses the white line and gives 80%. Us fans that pay to watch you Harry can see right through you. You're a hypocrite and in no way deserve to win the Euro's, unlike your squad mates.

As for UEFA, the agenda against England is crystal clear. Kuipers delivered the perfect execution for the bigwigs at UEFA. He gave England nothing and made sure the initiative was handed to Italy. He blatantly ignored the rules he was there to administer. We have no choice now but to start training the dark arts into every young player. The "yellow card tightrope" is long gone in the game and we just need to understand that is the way it is going to be.

Final thought. Well done Italy and especially Mancini. There is not a bit of me that begrudges their win.
Kane showed in the first 45 mins of the final & against Denmark that when England play with the ball he is almost impossible to play against. When England don't play with intent then he gets isolated and his lack of work rate gets badly exposed. If he wasn't Harry Kane then he would have been subbed in that second half for a more mobile forward.

I think your paragraph on UEFA is wide of the mark. When you consider England had pretty much every advantage going this tournament, with the fans for "test events", pretty much every game at home, and the unbelievably easy route to the final. The ref had an ok game and he let physical duels go, but he did so for both teams and he was consistent with it. There was nothing blatant about missed yellow cards, refs always do it and England players do the exact same tactical fouling. It's a part of the modern game that all teams do and refs never punish it. The only questionable decision was the Jorginho red card and I wasn't surprised that it wasn't given as red. Going through the ball rather than over it was probably his saving grace.

Commiserations Muttley, but I think your disappointment of the game is clouding your judgement on the ref/UEFA at the moment on this one.

Also, good job Boris on allowing Infantino to travel from a red list country yesterday to be at the game. I'm sure he is incredibly essential and neither game could have gone ahead without him standing in the crowd. But it's ok as Boris probably got some new wallpaper out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.