The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 67 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

I don’t think Luiz is as bad as some are making out but I’ll admit his recent performances have been poor. I can’t agree to the idea he’s been shit because he’s been shagging that Lehman girl, more likely he’s decided he wants to leave in the summer and already has some options lined up. We all know he’s out of contract in 18 months, doesn’t look like he’s going to sign a contract and rumours that we rejected a bid for him in Jan so probably quite easy for him to take 5 or 10% off his game which at this level is a big difference. Also it would help if we actually had a balanced team rather than expecting the other central midfielders to play full back.

Like clockwork. Doug was actually okay yesterday but it's always his thread that pings straight to the top following any defeat.

One shot on target - Douggie's fault
Attacking mids having to play fullback - Douggie's fault
Toothless in the opposition box - Douggie's fault

What an influential player he is.

I think Dougie can be a bit more adventurous in his passing. Too many times our passing is sideways however I’m a believer your first pass should try to be forward but we pass the ball a bit to slow and the forward option is cut out in terms of the the space available. I’d like to see him find Digne on the left more but further upfield rather than that constant sideways ball when Digne doesn’t get it and motor enough anyway, and also try to find the front three more when he can and the pass is on. We rarely try diagonals for whatever reason, Luiz should be the one player who can play those.

Mings and Luiz for me are both that little but too slow to the move the ball on and the speed they pass the ball at. We need to move the ball half a second quicker at each touch point, that’s how you open up teams like Watford and wear their pressing players down when they do decide to press.

Last edited:
The disappointing thing for me about Dougie is that I've just watched Neves put the dogheads 1-0 up, 1st with a diagonal pass to the wing to set up the cross, then a crisp finish from the edge of the box and I think he has all the tools in his locker to be equally as good but for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to click regularly.

Like clockwork. Doug was actually okay yesterday but it's always his thread that pings straight to the top following any defeat.

One shot on target - Douggie's fault
Attacking mids having to play fullback - Douggie's fault
Toothless in the opposition box - Douggie's fault

What an influential player he is.

Not as influential as Buendia though. Apparently we fall apart everytime he goes off.

He's a bit better than McGinn there for a start and as for playing CB's there really against Watford who came for a 0-0 and prayed for a win.

Scoring goals is our problem

Scoring goals is certainly our biggest problem. To get one pathetic effort on target out of 20 attempts says it all really. With that many attempts you should be looking at scoring at least 3 or 4 goals and winning comfortably.

The disappointing thing for me about Dougie is that I've just watched Neves put the dogheads 1-0 up, 1st with a diagonal pass to the wing to set up the cross, then a crisp finish from the edge of the box and I think he has all the tools in his locker to be equally as good but for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to click regularly.
You can't compare the two. Neves is clearly several levels above Louise .

You can't compare the two. Neves is clearly several levels above Louise .

It was embarrassing enough his fans mentioning imaginary things he does in midfield that only they saw like " being an excellent reader of the game ". And add to that risible comments saying he is on the same level as Ruben Neves !

It was embarrassing enough his fans mentioning imaginary things he does in midfield that only they saw like " being an excellent reader of the game ". And add to that risible comments saying he is on the same level as Ruben Neves !
Don't think anyone has said he's on the same level as Neves, I merely pointed out that if he got his act together he could be equally as influential.
Obviously just my opinion but I'm as disappointed as probably everyone on here that he hasn't progressed from his post lockdown form

Don't think anyone has said he's on the same level as Neves, I merely pointed out that if he got his act together he could be equally as influential.
Obviously just my opinion but I'm as disappointed as probably everyone on here that he hasn't progressed from his post lockdown form

He has never had the kind of influence to suggest that he can be anywhere near as good as Neves. Neves has what Luiz doesn't - skill !

Who starts then if Dougie doesn't, serious question as for many Dougie seems to be the reason we keep losing, even though yesterday he wasn't on the pitch when they scored and it was more down to the fact we can't score to save ours lives except the Leeds game when the clicked for 20 mins.
Do we stick lard arse SJM there like yesterday, that was a disaster, do we stick Konsa there, Chambers against a team as bad as Watford do we play 3 CB's?

Or do we sort out Watkins Ings Buendia Coutinho and co at the other end? or perhaps even get Digne to defend .
Far bigger problems than Luiz in this side

Sanson in McGinn's role, McGinn in for Luiz - Sanson is a better passer than McGinn, McGinn is a better scrapper/workhorse than Luiz will ever be.

I don't see this as a particularly difficult call tbh.

Agree about priorities though, unfortunately we have at least three priority one issues:

Our backs are uniformly terrible going forward.

Our strikers are nowhere.

Luiz is not up to it at PL level, whether playing as a DM or not - presumably this issue will be resolved when Nakamba is fit.

Worst player on the pitch yesterday and has been pretty much none existent since Christmas.

I'm not a hater, I've always had a bit of blind faith that he'll eventually be great but I'm fed up of him now. Useless in every aspect for too many games.

Sanson in McGinn's role, McGinn in for Luiz - Sanson is a better passer than McGinn, McGinn is a better scrapper/workhorse than Luiz will ever be.

I don't see this as a particularly difficult call tbh.

Agree about priorities though, unfortunately we have at least three priority one issues:

Our backs are uniformly terrible going forward.

Our strikers are nowhere.

Luiz is not up to it at PL level, whether playing as a DM or not - presumably this issue will be resolved when Nakamba is fit.

Nakamba that 90% wanted to go not so long ago now he's the new Kante, nail on the head that's the only viable option so we manage how we have for the last 3 seasons and work around it