The Championship Thread | Page 49 | Vital Football

The Championship Thread

wow...ok

so what is the worst case/best case for wed/derby

is it nailed on points deduction?

My personal view, based on what information is in the public domain, Wednesday will get hung out to dry as the evidence against them looks cut and dried.

Derby, on the other hand, appear to have done little wrong, so I do not think they will be getting so much as a fine.

My personal view, based on what information is in the public domain, Wednesday will get hung out to dry as the evidence against them looks cut and dried.

Derby, on the other hand, appear to have done little wrong, so I do not think they will be getting so much as a fine.
If Derby's accounting method is not against the rules then there really is no point whatsoever in the rules or following them

Unconvinced I have to say, how can a player have a residual value once their contract expires? They've clearly used 'creative accounting' to circumvent amortisation rules.

As for the stadium it sold at what would appear to be well above market value in comparison to others, Villa Park for instance at 50m.

I think the valuation of Pride Park represents value as I'm sure legal fees were part of the construction classified under labour and I would imagine that Derby's lawyers are earning north of 10 grand an hour.

Unconvinced I have to say, how can a player have a residual value once their contract expires? They've clearly used 'creative accounting' to circumvent amortisation rules.

As for the stadium it sold at what would appear to be well above market value in comparison to others, Villa Park for instance at 50m.
I suspect they'll get away with it because their accountants have a lot more imagination than EFL rulemakers.

And just as with Leicester in 2003, they'll benefit, maybe even be promoted and then the loophole will be promptly closed

Last edited:

It is a very good question; and I know very little about the subject matter to provide an answer; hopefully it will be their undoing

With regard to the Stadium sale; the valuation would have had to pass HMRC scrutiny as the transaction would attract SDLT, which is based on the valuation.

If all of that is in order, I cannot see what action the EFL can take.

If Derby's accounting method is not against the rules then there really is no point whatsoever in the rules or following them

It may well be; we will just have to wait and see.

If they have been using that accounting method for some time and not been challenged they might have a get out of Jail card.

Alternatively, if they have just started to use that method it will look suspiciously like a ploy to circumvent P & S.

It is a very good question; and I know very little about the subject matter to provide an answer; hopefully it will be their undoing

With regard to the Stadium sale; the valuation would have had to pass HMRC scrutiny as the transaction would attract SDLT, which is based on the valuation.

If all of that is in order, I cannot see what action the EFL can take.

The residual amortisation is the bigger issue I suspect, the value of the stadium is secondary. However it clearly bares closer scrutiny given comparable sales were significantly lower.

Nowt to do with the Championship, but not really worth a thread of its own - from BBC Sport:

Scotland: Pick your all-time Scotland XI

Through the years, Scotland's national sides have been awash with talent. Here, you have the chance to pick your all-time greatest Scotland XI, with candidates compiled from all men's and women's World Cup squads as well as a few select others.
From Baxter to Bremner. Fleeting to Gemmill. Cooper to Dalglish.

First point - why would you want to compile an all-time XI including both male and female players? (And have Scotland sides always been 'awash with talent'?)

Main point: John Robertson isn't mentioned in that headline. Best Scottish player ever.

Nowt to do with the Championship, but not really worth a thread of its own - from BBC Sport:

Through the years, Scotland's national sides have been awash with talent. Here, you have the chance to pick your all-time greatest Scotland XI, with candidates compiled from all men's and women's World Cup squads as well as a few select others.

First point - why would you want to compile an all-time XI including both male and female players? (And have Scotland sides always been 'awash with talent'?)

Main point: John Robertson isn't mentioned in that headline. Best Scottish player ever.
I posted an article from $ky a few weeks ago about Robertson where it made a point about just how overlooked he was in British and even possibly European football. Partly because of how he looked and partly who he played for but utterly bizarre just how badly he is ignored.

Lol. All-time greatest Scotland XI. Surprised they even found 11 players for a shortlist!

This Garibaldi chap must have been quite the man; an Italian Republican Nationalist with a fan club including Arbraham Lincoln, Charles Dickens, Victor Hugo, Freiderich Engels and Che Guevara.

There's a bit of something in there to please just about every one.

AJP Taylor described him as "the only wholly admirable figure in modern history".

I am sure his latter day association with a second tier English Football Club would have been the cause of great amusement to him.

Lol. All-time greatest Scotland XI. Surprised they even found 11 players for a shortlist!

You might want to rethink that comment Zed or perhaps you're not old enough. There might be a temporary shortage, I'm not up with it at the moment but over the years there have been quite a few of really good Scots players even including the odd one who played for Forest.