The Championship Thread | Page 47 | Vital Football

The Championship Thread

The EFL really need to actually do something now

You have Derby with a real chance of promotion, after which their alleged misdemeanours will be untouchable.

Sheffield Wednesday are playing strikers that are surely miles outside of FFP.

Teams are going to go down to L1 when other clubs have potentially cheated.

Derby could escape the EFL, flipping the bird at all 72 clubs as they go, just because the board are so paralysed by inaction

The EFL really need to actually do something now

You have Derby with a real chance of promotion, after which their alleged misdemeanours will be untouchable.

Sheffield Wednesday are playing strikers that are surely miles outside of FFP.

Teams are going to go down to L1 when other clubs have potentially cheated.

Derby could escape the EFL, flipping the bird at all 72 clubs as they go, just because the board are so paralysed by inaction

That's not true.

There are now no ways of avoiding penalties imposed due to P & S infringements; the PL have agreed to recognise the penalties.

Be interesting to see what happens now that Middlesbrough are teetering on the brink of the drop zone; Gibson has promised to take legal action against the EFL if no action is taken against Derby and Wednesday and he is well equipped financially to do so.

Wednesday have other issues to contend with; the contracts of Morgan Fox, Kieran Lee, Steven Fletcher, Sam Winnall, Jacob Murphy, Atdhe Nuhiu, Connor Wickham, Sam Hutchinson, Preslav Borukov, David Bates, Paul Jones, Alessio Da Cruz, Fernando Forestieri, Josh Windass all end on June 30th with no visible sign of contract extensions being offered or accepted.

That's not true.

There are now no ways of avoiding penalties imposed due to P & S infringements; the PL have agreed to recognise the penalties.

Be interesting to see what happens now that Middlesbrough are teetering on the brink of the drop zone; Gibson has promised to take legal action against the EFL if no action is taken against Derby and Wednesday and he is well equipped financially to do so.

Wednesday have other issues to contend with; the contracts of Morgan Fox, Kieran Lee, Steven Fletcher, Sam Winnall, Jacob Murphy, Atdhe Nuhiu, Connor Wickham, Sam Hutchinson, Preslav Borukov, David Bates, Paul Jones, Alessio Da Cruz, Fernando Forestieri, Josh Windass all end on June 30th with no visible sign of contract extensions being offered or accepted.
Ok, so what actions can the EFL take against a PL team?

Fine them? What's the point? When they have access to the £90m in the PL and then the parachute payment?

Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

If you want to deter teams from blatent cheating the way surely is to punish them before they have achieved their objective rather than after when the punishment suddenly becomes a meaningless drop in the ocean

Ok, so what actions can the EFL take against a PL team?

Fine them? What's the point? When they have access to the £90m in the PL and then the parachute payment?

Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

If you want to deter teams from blatent cheating the way surely is to punish them before they have achieved their objective rather than after when the punishment suddenly becomes a meaningless drop in the ocean

The PL are now in full agreement with the EFL on P & S compliance; the EFL rules have been amended accordingly:

8 Clubs Promoted Out of the Championship

8.1 If a Championship Club is promoted to the Premier League (a Promoted Championship Club) the Promoted Championship Club shall, notwithstanding promotion, remain bound by these Rules following promotion as if it were still a Championship Club, until such time as it has complied with all of its obligations in respect of the Reporting Period covering its last Season as a Championship Club. Until such time as the Promoted Championship Club has so complied, each of these Rules shall be deemed to apply to that Promoted Championship Club (other than Rule 6).

The sanctions which can be imposed go far beyond fines and embargo's; Clubs can be relegated and denied promotion if the breach is severe enough.

I will predict now that the cases against Derby and Wednesday will be concluded before the seasons end; if there is no conclusion the EFL will be guilty of dereliction of duty and abdication of responsibility.

The cases relate to financial activity from last season, the consequences of which must be enforced this season; if there is no case to answer, the findings will need to be fully transparent and made public so that member Clubs can examine the reasoning behind the decisions.

The PL are now in full agreement with the EFL on P & S compliance; the EFL rules have been amended accordingly:

8 Clubs Promoted Out of the Championship

8.1 If a Championship Club is promoted to the Premier League (a Promoted Championship Club) the Promoted Championship Club shall, notwithstanding promotion, remain bound by these Rules following promotion as if it were still a Championship Club, until such time as it has complied with all of its obligations in respect of the Reporting Period covering its last Season as a Championship Club. Until such time as the Promoted Championship Club has so complied, each of these Rules shall be deemed to apply to that Promoted Championship Club (other than Rule 6).

The sanctions which can be imposed go far beyond fines and embargo's; Clubs can be relegated and denied promotion if the breach is severe enough.

I will predict now that the cases against Derby and Wednesday will be concluded before the seasons end; if there is no conclusion the EFL will be guilty of dereliction of duty and abdication of responsibility.

The cases relate to financial activity from last season, the consequences of which must be enforced this season; if there is no case to answer, the findings will need to be fully transparent and made public so that member Clubs can examine the reasoning behind the decisions.
I will predict now that they will bottle it on all counts.

Derby's lawyers obviously scare the EFL far more than the EFL's scare Derby

There will have to be full transparency in the decision making process, and it will have to be published in the next three or four weeks.

There are far wealthier Clubs than Derby with skin in this game.

I would rather the decision be handed down as close to the final game as is possible; Derby have five of the top 6 to play in their last 8 games - they will effectively decide who goes up

The winners this weekend are Brentford and to a lesser extent WBA. Next weekends fixtures look tasty. If we can beat Huddersfield we will gain an advantage on at least three of our rivals.

The winners this weekend are Brentford and to a lesser extent WBA. Next weekends fixtures look tasty. If we can beat Huddersfield we will gain an advantage on at least three of our rivals.
That's the big question mark ...IF we beat Huddersfield.... how many times did we say that ..nd we failed to get the three points against mix table teams ...

From what I can make out there are two charges against Derby; one relating to the sale of the Ground and one relating to how players contracts are amortised; there is a suspicion that irregular accounting practices have been employed.

I am not sure how strong a case there is on the second charge, and I do not know enough about the subject matter to form an opinion.

From what I have managed to find out about the Ground sale I would say there is nothing the EFL can do about it.

It is perfectly normal business practice for large Companies to hive off assets, particularly property, into separate holding Companies; if Derby can display that they took an independent valuation prior to the sale, and that the Football Club pay rent at market levels to the holding Company, and that HMRC were happy with the transaction, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

So, from what is in the public domain, I would say there is little chance that Derby are going to be found guilty of anything; however, the EFL are persuing the case, so you would think they have evidence which as so far remained private.

From what I can make out there are two charges against Derby; one relating to the sale of the Ground and one relating to how players contracts are amortised; there is a suspicion that irregular accounting practices have been employed.

I am not sure how strong a case there is on the second charge, and I do not know enough about the subject matter to form an opinion.

From what I have managed to find out about the Ground sale I would say there is nothing the EFL can do about it.

It is perfectly normal business practice for large Companies to hive off assets, particularly property, into separate holding Companies; if Derby can display that they took an independent valuation prior to the sale, and that the Football Club pay rent at market levels to the holding Company, and that HMRC were happy with the transaction, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

So, from what is in the public domain, I would say there is little chance that Derby are going to be found guilty of anything; however, the EFL are persuing the case, so you would think they have evidence which as so far remained private.
I posted about the amortisation several weeks/months ago.

The method they were using is absolute bullshit. It reminded me of Enron accounting practices

At the time I honestly could not see how it was possible for them to get away with it.

Can't remember the thread now unfortunately

sign him up.
thought de costa looked way more at it than Grabz the other day who looked like hed had 3 years off

I notice one of our youngsters was on the score sheet for Exeter tonight in their play off game; Jaydon Richardson's goal was described as a weak shot which managed to squirm under the keeper
They all count and it’s great experience for him. He might be one of the very few Forest players to experience a pray off win!