The Championship Thread | Page 42 | Vital Football

The Championship Thread

Why?

Surely ending the season now wouldn't actually cancel the season?

They would surely have to award based on current positions.

Is there a rule on this I don't know about?

The great and the good on Radio 4 were talking about annulling all competitions.

The 6 Nations can be carried over until the Autumn; no problem with that one

All of the Football competitions have to be decided by the start of June or there will be implications for next season (assuming there will be no implications in the first place).

Some of the Rugby Competitions will be awarding draws for cancelled games; Football will not go down that road for fear of the Leagues being decided in the Court Rooms.

The general consensus is to cancel the competitions and start again in August.

I am guessing the EFL and PL will look to the Government to make that decision for them; lets face it Boris wont give a fuck about Football or the reaction for any decision he makes.

On a happier note; how lovely it was to see that our PM will be a Father again; by some estimates, that's 8 children by 6 different Mothers.

Its a good job he does not originate from a Council Estate or those bastards at the Mail would be all over him like a rash.

The great and the good on Radio 4 were talking about annulling all competitions.

All of the Football competitions have to be decided by the start of June or there will be implications for next season (assuming there will be no implications in the first place).

Some of the Rugby Competitions will be awarding draws for cancelled games; Football will not go down that road for fear of the Leagues being decided in the Court Rooms.

I am guessing the EFL and PL will look to the Government to make that decision for them; lets face it Boris wont give a fuck about Football or the reaction for any decision he makes.

On a happier note; how lovely it was to see that our PM will be a Father again; by some estimates, that's 8 children by 6 different Mothers.

Its a good job he does not originate from a Council Estate or those bastards at the Mail would be all over him like a rash.
In fairness, there seems no need to cancel the entire season when it could surely be played out behind closed doors? Clubs would be losing vital admission money anyway, and without the need for catering, stewarding or police the games should be not much more expensive to hold than reserve games.

In fairness, there seems no need to cancel the entire season when it could surely be played out behind closed doors? Clubs would be losing vital admission money anyway, and without the need for catering, stewarding or police the games should be not much more expensive to hold than reserve games.

Yes, but the very minute the lawyers get involved, common sense flies out of the window

Yes, but the very minute the lawyers get involved, common sense flies out of the window
True.

But for every club that wants to sue because the season isn't cancelled, just as many sue because it is.

The Lawyers for West Brom and Leeds, for instance joining with those of Liverpool and Leicester (and even ourselves)

Sporting competition would simply be shut down for 2+ months and as Mao said there is no mechanism for replaying matches after the season ends.

In which case those teams at the bottom would argue that how can relegation be decided if they haven't all been able to complete their fixture lists.

The PL have been asked and their response was basically we don't have any rules to cover this scenario, so it would have to be decided by all the clubs in the PL.

The only half precedent is the outbreak of WW2 and the leagues were all abandoned midway through with no champions or relegation. Though they weren't nearly as far into the season.

If I had to guess, the Championship would get fucked. Liverpool get crowned champions, European places are settled by by the league positions at abandonment and there is no relegation.

Games behind closed doors seem the most likely outcome to me. Fixtures completed, no problem.

The WW2 games couldn't really have been played like that because the players were a bit too busy to play soccer. There was a war on y'know.

The only half precedent is the outbreak of WW2 and the leagues were all abandoned midway through with no champions or relegation. Though they weren't nearly as far into the season.
Yes, it was in September so hardly any games played.

Still, common sense/precedent says it won't happen.

But then actual logic starts making me question it. What actually is going to stop Corona virus spreading to this level?

Not any action from our absentee PM, that's for sure.

Was speaking to a doctor the other day, and he said there is nothing that can be done to stop it spreading. The NHS's priority is to "spread out" the spread so that there isn't one big peak it can't cope with

Tbf, what can the PM do about it? Probably nothing. The focus is to contain /minimise the spread right now. Him telling people to wash their hands is the limit of his usefulness.

The thing is, he doesn't bother looking like he even cares or wants to understand it. Insulting.

There will be big decisions to come, though, so he should be getting on top of the detail now.
Oh dear...

Games behind closed doors seem the most likely outcome to me. Fixtures completed, no problem.

The WW2 games couldn't really have been played like that because the players were a bit too busy to play soccer. There was a war on y'know.

And how would that work if cities are quarantined? The talk is of all sporting events being cancelled full stop.

And how would that work if cities are quarantined? The talk is of all sporting events being cancelled full stop.
Oh, I see. I haven't seen the latest.
Is the match the "event"? Or the tens of thousands of people coming to watch it?

In any case, I was just taking about what I thought was most likely.

We might well have city lockdowns/curfews. I doubt, under those circumstances, that footy matches would be considered essential business travel but you never know. Still, there are quite a few containment steps that can be taken before total lockdown.

Maybe they will make the matches free to air so we can all have something to watch while we are quarantined in our own homes. A national gift, like the cricket final.

This must be great business for Netflix. Maybe I should tell Boszi that they started it to get more subscriptions??
FOLLOW THE MONEY!

He's just so full of cum isn't he?

Games behind closed doors is the only solution. Financial impact will be less then cancelling season altogether. There is no time for re scheduling games now, nd dont forget the Euros r also in the summer. There is the rumour that the Olympic games r going to be cancelled also.... it's time for all the best scientists in the world to join forces nd find a cure for this virus or we r going to end up not talking to each other due to fear of contagion

Games behind closed doors is the only solution. Financial impact will be less then cancelling season altogether. There is no time for re scheduling games now, nd dont forget the Euros r also in the summer. There is the rumour that the Olympic games r going to be cancelled also.... it's time for all the best scientists in the world to join forces nd find a cure for this virus or we r going to end up not talking to each other due to fear of contagion

I typically try and avoid talking to people because they tend to be *****. No cure will EVER be found for that, yet things still seem to tick along.

Another option would be to play the games over Skype so the players don’t infect each other