The Carabao Cup Thread | Page 174 | Vital Football

The Carabao Cup Thread

Crowds react to what is served up to them, we don't have Ultras who just pound the drum and bay at the moon the whole 90mins. We have to be entertained - I know, I know, I'm being a bit sophisticated here, but isn't that the whole point in paying the money and experiencing the event? Anyhow, not much excitement for 70mins last night and it was quiet - a full house wouldn't have changed the atmosphere.

Not sure what the Arsenal fans experienced under Unai, but they were used to the Wenger years of entertaining football, superstars like Henry and Bergkamp, so maybe they were completely underwhelmed by Unai Emery and his tactics.

Yes the English crowd is very much reactionary to what’s going on on the pitch but there are games where we’re behind them from the off, Newcastle home last season springs to mind from recent memory. Brighton last game of last season was obviously gonna be a good one as we were on the verge of a minor achievement given where the team were before Unai.

This season I’ve been to two home games (We’ve only had two home league games for me to go to) and both have been incredibly flat. Is the cost of tickets bringing a certain type of fan? (Dare I say customer?) Is the football not very exciting? Or is it something else? Some games aren’t as exciting as others like last night but I hope for more from full house premier league games.

I certainly don’t want that European style of ultra support, I really admire it when I’m abroad but I find it cringey when it’s tried over here (eg Crystal Palace) as it’s not English culture but I wish home games were a bit more lively than they currently are otherwise I may as well watch it at home.

Yes but it’s not a given, have to actually go and win it. One less competition to play in now so I hope it’s taken a bit more seriously. The point about me wanting to see Villa win something refers to actually being there at Wembley to see it, I won’t get a ticket for the conference league final so won’t be the same.
That is exactly why I want us to win the FA Cup as I'll be there, I certainly won't get to Athens as there won't be enough tickets.

Yes the English crowd is very much reactionary to what’s going on on the pitch but there are games where we’re behind them from the off, Newcastle home last season springs to mind from recent memory. Brighton last game of last season was obviously gonna be a good one as we were on the verge of a minor achievement given where the team were before Unai.

This season I’ve been to two home games (We’ve only had two home league games for me to go to) and both have been incredibly flat. Is the cost of tickets bringing a certain type of fan? (Dare I say customer?) Is the football not very exciting? Or is it something else? Some games aren’t as exciting as others like last night but I hope for more from full house premier league games.

I certainly don’t want that European style of ultra support, I really admire it when I’m abroad but I find it cringey when it’s tried over here (eg Crystal Palace) as it’s not English culture but I wish home games were a bit more lively than they currently are otherwise I may as well watch it at home.
Unfortunately, young Tom its become a very middle-class game with Rugby types with home counties accents everywhere, they aren't going to be like brain-dead pissed-up locals of old who cheer and sing anything. Those days have long gone

Olsen cannot play again. I actually thought he played well with his hands, but he's a bag of nerves with his feet.

McGinn at left back was bizarre.

Again it should've been strong enough to see them off.
I really dont think he will play again. He might play in Europe if we're through but we need to win some of those games which means Emi will start. I think Emi will start in the FA Cup too because he simply cannot go out of that comp again at the first hurdle.

Its easy to say we lost because of Olsen, I won't suggest that but he is a big part of why. As noted elsewhere Emi just fires that ball which led to a goal into touch and holds up his hands. Its his decision-making that kills us. He doesnt know when to just clear it and when he should play short.

McGinn at LB was actually okay I thought.

I really dont think he will play again. He might play in Europe if we're through but we need to win some of those games which means Emi will start. I think Emi will start in the FA Cup too because he simply cannot go out of that comp again at the first hurdle.

Its easy to say we lost because of Olsen, I won't suggest that but he is a big part of why. As noted elsewhere Emi just fires that ball which led to a goal into touch and holds up his hands. Its his decision-making that kills us. He doesnt know when to just clear it and when he should play short.

McGinn at LB was actually okay I thought.
I think you are way off mate had that been Martinez las night everyone would have been saying it could have been 5 if he hadn't made some good saves.
Martinez isn't exactly good with his feet and he shipped plenty of goals this season.

Douggie wasn't top of his game last night, the defence managed to put themselves under extreme pressure at times and couldn't find a way out. Added to that, Olsen is not the answer. Matty Cash continues to show his limitations, can't beat a player, can't cross a ball, 95% of the time he turns back and recycles.
IMO the issue with playing out last night was that Dendonker can't really receive it facing his own goal under any sort of pressure. That puts a lot of strain on Dougie to link midfield and attack. Diaby, Bailey and Tielemens didn't do enough to offer options either. McGinn was alright at LB and certainly gives a better showing at advancing the ball than Cash which is alarming. McGinn can withstand a tackle without losing the ball and he can turn and pass forward which he was able to do. Just limits him so much.

Agree re: Cash he has certainly done better this year but I suspect we'll be trying to get a RB in January.

There is a comment further up that actually says he would take an early round exit to win the conference league 🤦🏻‍♂️ FA Cup for me all day. It’s Europe’s third tier, be great to win it but not over the FA Cup, no way.
I suspect if top-tier clubs keep winning the 3rd tier competition it will soon either be ditched or the top 5 leagues won't have a team in it and it will go down like the inter toto or the zenith data systems trophy or Fair cup, Anglo Italian cup and many other defunct trophies

Having watched what passed as highlights now, Olsen cannot play again. I'm sure he's a great bloke but I'd rather Marschall or someone capable of learning from mistakes get a shot. I actually thought he played well with his hands, but he's a bag of nerves with his feet.

McGinn at left back was bizarre.

Again it should've been strong enough to see them off.
This reserve goal keeper ruse is the best kept secret in football. Tell me one decent reserve keeper currently? And how the hell was Martinez a reserve keeper - I know perhaps that’s how a keeper starts out. Maybe the Liverpool and Man C reserve keepers are decent but the rest - they get paid thousands to do very little apart from play crap in cup games don’t they. Oh and most can’t kick and look panic stricken when passing the ball out.

Arsenal appear to have 2 good goalies

wasn't Olsen at Everton til they bombed him out and that was after Sheff Utd had bombed him out of the Championship

Anglo Italian cup and many other defunct trophies

I had no idea this was a thing, but a mates dad was telling me about this not long ago that Swindon played Napoli in this cup and got battered off the pitch. Cracks me up to think a couple of thousand West Country lads on the cider having a pop at fans connected to the Italian mafia.

I think you are way off mate had that been Martinez las night everyone would have been saying it could have been 5 if he hadn't made some good saves.
Martinez isn't exactly good with his feet and he shipped plenty of goals this season.

Fair play. You aint half good at shoe horning a dig at Emi1 into many a thread. :LOL:.
What is the issue you have with him out of interest?.Not Brad Guzan ?

Last edited:
The way some of you lot are going on, you would think football is actually about competing and winning things.

Jeez.
Huge gap now between fans of a generation and the club/modern players.

I genuinely think if they were being honest the powers that be in the club would say that they would take a suitably high premier league finish every day of the week over a domestic cup win.

And i think that the modern player, most certainly the foreign ones don’t give a damn about the domestic cups. Probably never even heard of the league cup. They haven’t got the nostalgia of those sunny Wembley finals and neither have the modern generation domestic fan. And tbh who in this country gives a flying about the Copa del Rey and such like so we can’t presume anyone outside of the UK affords respect to our domestic cups.

Much to the delight of some who don’t like it. The likes of Pau, Diaby etc have signed to compete and win the Conference and thus a european trophy and compete top end of the league. Guaranteed that will be more high profile abroad now and for some time than the Carabao and FA cup.

Huge gap now between fans of a generation and the club/modern players.

I genuinely think if they were being honest the powers that be in the club would say that they would take a suitably high premier league finish every day of the week over a domestic cup win.

And i think that the modern player, most certainly the foreign ones don’t give a damn about the domestic cups. Probably never even heard of the league cup. They haven’t got the nostalgia of those sunny Wembley finals and neither have the modern generation domestic fan. And tbh who in this country gives a flying about the Copa del Rey and such like so we can’t presume anyone outside of the UK affords respect to our domestic cups.

Much to the delight of some who don’t like it. The likes of Pau, Diaby etc have signed to compete and win the Conference and thus a european trophy and compete top end of the league. Guaranteed that will be more high profile abroad now and for some time than the Carabao and FA cup.

Totally. If they could get us comfortably 6th each year, there is a good profit to be made, pushing higher, apart from when 'it just happens' (ie you have a blinder of a season) is costly and probably harder to turn a profit.

Modern £00tball.

It is sad really. Can't beat winning, competing to be basically also-rans is joyless but what most clubs now have to do.