The Brexit effect on football ? | Vital Football

The Brexit effect on football ?

shotshy

Vital Champions League
Work permit applications for Europeans footballers, like the rest of the world?

What will we do about the 'Irish problem' ?
They were exempt under the old rules, but are now committed Europeans.

Will the Premier league become less attractive to European players?
Will British born players get more of a chance?

Will the Premier League need more clarity? :17:

It all needs discussion.

Sort it out Scally !

The main effect of Brexit on football has been on this site. Continual entrenched remoaner/brexiteer views endlessly spouted on a football discussion site.

It absolutely screwed up my Football Manager 18 save, that's for sure. I had to let Holy go because he couldn't get a work permit!

Yes, I remember hearing John Barnes talking about this before the referendum. He said that with regards to football leaving the EU would be good for the development of young UK players precisely because of the work permit issue and the fact that they'd be a greater chance of them getting first team experience in the top division. I think I probably agree with him.

The whole thing could burst the Premier League bubble but I doubt it money talks .Chances for young players in the Premier league well I doubt that too .It is possible that the EU could do it but I doubt they will .The UK government will not as it would cost them money .I really hope it happens maybe a maximum number of imported players per club .Whatever the final result we will need imported labour .It is just a question of where they come from .

Hang on a minute; there are loads of players from outside the EU plying their trade in the UK. I doubt, therefore, if Brexit will make any difference. That's if we actually leave.

Wayne.Kerr - 8/2/2018 18:59

Hang on a minute; there are loads of players from outside the EU plying their trade in the UK. I doubt, therefore, if Brexit will make any difference. That's if we actually leave.

Because the players outside of the EU have got work permits, and usually play in the premiership. They have to show that they are good enough quality to play in England (I. E they have international caps), and are not just cheap labour. Thus doesn't apply to EU players who have a right to work in the UK

In affect our exit could be the stumbling block that stops us signing a future Gazzaniga or Holy .But will not stop Chelsea or Manchester City signing anyone they want too .

Gazzaniga is an Argentine and City will sign who they like. There are plenty of non-Europeans outside the EPL. Chris Herd was Australian, for example. There are ten US players in England but only four play in the EPL. There are 16 Brazilians in England and four don't play in the EPL. Two Turks - one in the EPL and that's just a few countries. Don't make sweeping statements.

When SL gets us into europe Gills fans will have a blue passport to get us to Barajas Madrid airport where we can enjoy a long visa filling immigration scrum before heading to the Bernabau where the Spanish crowd will mock us because all the UK based Japanese manufacturers have moved their businesses there instead.

Funny that with the passports, we could have kept the blue ones throughout. Only the style and security changed cos of that in Canada.

Wayne.Kerr - 8/2/2018 21:30

Gazzaniga is an Argentine and City will sign who they like. There are plenty of non-Europeans outside the EPL. Chris Herd was Australian, for example. There are ten US players in England but only four play in the EPL. There are 16 Brazilians in England and four don't play in the EPL. Two Turks - one in the EPL and that's just a few countries. Don't make sweeping statements.
Gazzaniga moved to Spain at the age of 15 so I am not sure on the rules but my guess is he could well be qualified as Spainish if he needed to .

SurreyBOB - 8/2/2018 21:41

The Premiership has players from over 60 nationalities and is the most diverse in world football so obtaining visas or work permits is not a material barrier for non-EU nationals to play here.
Not a material barrier to playing in the Premiership, no. As WayneKerr has said, there are only 4 Brazilians in England outside the Premiership, they are all in the championship, 2 of the are on loan, and the other 2 have established European careers. Foreign players wont get work permits to play in Division 1, they need to demonstrate that they are better than home grown players.

So will Jean Claude be holding trials down the park to decide who's good enough and who isn't? :69:

Simeon Jackson is playing for Grimsby.

This site shows non-European players in the Championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Football_League_Championship_players

Wayne.Kerr - 9/2/2018 07:00

Simeon Jackson is playing for Grimsby.

This site shows non-European players in the Championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Football_League_Championship_players
"At the age of 15 he moved to London to live with his Grandmother" (Simeon Jackson).

You can look up the specific football work permit rules if you want, I haven't got the time or the inclination to do so. But you need a work permit if you are outside the EU, you don't if you are in.

The list was interesting and there were a lot of players on it, but I clicked about 10 random Non-European players and they were all in 3 categories - they were either born in the EU (usually France) / had a dual passport. Or they came to EU when they were young. Or they were internationals that started their careers at Premiership clubs, and are on the downward side of their careers.

Vambogills - 8/2/2018 22:13

When SL gets us into europe Gills fans will have a blue passport to get us to Barajas Madrid airport where we can enjoy a long visa filling immigration scrum before heading to the Bernabau where the Spanish crowd will mock us because all the UK based Japanese manufacturers have moved their businesses there instead.

Excellent, I'll see you all there. And then enjoy the visa filling scrum for myself in the return leg.