The agents best friend.... | Page 2 | Vital Football

The agents best friend....

I know this might sound a silly question however im hearing on sky that a goalkeeper has brought out his contract so he can move.Anybody have an idea how this works surely its not as simple as just paying his release clause is it if was why doesent some club meet it?

I would rather we refused all such deals.
And i would rather have players who want to be here.
And isnt it about time agents were sued for breaching confidentiality when they tell a buying club the exact fee they need to bid?

Leeches indeed
Cuts both ways though. Remember the whole Morgan Ferrier debacle a few weeks ago when everyone was up in arms about how the agent treated the poor football club? On signing the player Dean Keats comments were "as soon as we heard his release figure we knew we had to get him". 'Poor little' Borehamwood knew exactly what they were doing there in going public with his contract details.

Only thing I would consider putting into these release clauses is that they must be met by 'x' time i.e. 14 days before the transfer window closes or something, which gives ample time to source a replacement.

Exactly what I was thinking, which raises a number of questions.
Why, after the whole of pre-season, did Shrewsbury suddenly decide - 2 days before the start of the season - to put in an offer for Luke?
Surely they would have known any forthcomngs at the heart of their defence a lot earlier than that?
It was obvious that the offer was on Luke's mind as it clearly showed in his performance.

This transfer window thing is becoming a burden. If there is a release clause surely there can be terminology within a contract to state a minimum 14 days before a transfer window? Or is that too much like common sense...

It also begs the question whether it's a good idea for the window to be after the first game of the season? Why not before it.

Exactly what I was thinking, which raises a number of questions.
Why, after the whole of pre-season, did Shrewsbury suddenly decide - 2 days before the start of the season - to put in an offer for Luke?
Surely they would have known any forthcomngs at the heart of their defence a lot earlier than that?
It was obvious that the offer was on Luke's mind as it clearly showed in his performance.

This transfer window thing is becoming a burden. If there is a release clause surely there can be terminology within a contract to state a minimum 14 days before a transfer window? Or is that too much like common sense...

It also begs the question whether it's a good idea for the window to be after the first game of the season? Why not before it.
Shrewsbury appeared to come for Waterfall after there defender appeared to be going to Ipswich.Also Askey knows him.

It's after our first game of the season, but it's before a ball is kicked in the Premier League. A case of sod the little guys, lets make sure the Premier League doesn't get disrupted!

I'd imagine a player could argue a 14 day stipulation could be contested as a restriction of trade, and fought through an employment tribunal. Often the mere mention of starting one gets firms in a tizz.

And if someone comes in on day x and the player kicks up a hissy, there's very little the club would be able to do - would it be better to waive the clause or let the player sulk at your club and bring the atmosphere down?

Well Lee Philpott, agent to Waterfall, seems to be pretty pig-in-sh*t about transfer windows.

https://thesetpieces.com/interviews/agents-view-transfer-window/

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this might sound a silly question however im hearing on sky that a goalkeeper has brought out his contract so he can move.Anybody have an idea how this works surely its not as simple as just paying his release clause is it if was why doesent some club meet it?

Do you mean Kepa who's off to Chelsea? That's the Spanish system - it's not a release clause but a 'buyout' clause. Essentially the same thing but the player knows how much has to be paid.

Do you mean Kepa who's off to Chelsea? That's the Spanish system - it's not a release clause but a 'buyout' clause. Essentially the same thing but the player knows how much has to be paid.

Apparently, the player has to buy themselves out of their contract for the amount agreed when it was signed - invariably with money made available by the purchasing team who make a deposit with La Liga on the player's behalf. La Liga then pass this money on to the player's club. In effect, the contract is then null and void and the player is free to sign for the other team.

I'd imagine a player could argue a 14 day stipulation could be contested as a restriction of trade, and fought through an employment tribunal. Often the mere mention of starting one gets firms in a tizz.

And if someone comes in on day x and the player kicks up a hissy, there's very little the club would be able to do - would it be better to waive the clause or let the player sulk at your club and bring the atmosphere down?
Can't imagine so because it's not a restriction, it's only the value that changes.

Another thing the Spanish, and Germans, do well is setting release clauses to be met by a certain date or a) it goes up and/or b) it isn't valid until between particular dates the following summer.

They take a lot of uncertainty out of their clauses. It's just an accepted way of doing things over there so it wouldn't necessarily work over here but it is done in other countries.

Can't imagine so because it's not a restriction, it's only the value that changes.

Another thing the Spanish, and Germans, do well is setting release clauses to be met by a certain date or a) it goes up and/or b) it isn't valid until between particular dates the following summer.

They take a lot of uncertainty out of their clauses. It's just an accepted way of doing things over there so it wouldn't necessarily work over here but it is done in other countries.

I think you can do it here - I remember Man Utd paying over the odds for Fellaini because they didn't meet the deadline for his buyout clause. That one was obviously very well publicised as it was Man U but I'd assume there are others.