The 20/21 predictor thread - Burnley FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PLL | Page 2 | Vital Football

The 20/21 predictor thread - Burnley FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a good time to be playing Burnley. The Tarkowski/Mee CB pairing made them defensively solid particularly at home last season, but with Mee out with a long term injury they haven't started well.
I don't think that they will be leaking goals, but one in each half will do.
2-0 Spurs Ndombele and Kane
Smithy , regarding goal scorers and points , if you want to allocate every member of the squad a point value for a goal , so that no matter who plays and in which position , they have a goal value , I will run with that . No rush , there is plenty of games coming up and we can allocate a game in the future to start from.
I’m sure others on here will have their input as well . Ha ha ! Go for it .

Smithy , regarding goal scorers and points , if you want to allocate every member of the squad a point value for a goal , so that no matter who plays and in which position , they have a goal value , I will run with that . No rush , there is plenty of games coming up and we can allocate a game in the future to start from.
I’m sure others on here will have their input as well . Ha ha ! Go for it .
Hi Walt. Not entirely sure what you mean by the above. My original suggestion was along the lines of a 'scoring index', whereby;
Goal scored by;
Lloris or Hart - 5 points
Dier, Davies, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Tanganga, Hojberg, Winks - 4 points
Ndombele, Sissoko, Aurier, Doherty Reguilon - 3 points
Lo Celso, Dele, Lamela, Bergwijn, Bale - 2 points
Kane, Son,, Vinicius - 1 point

Although this would more accurately reflect 'the odds' of a player scoring I do recognise that it may be a bit admin intensive.

Hi Walt. Not entirely sure what you mean by the above. My original suggestion was along the lines of a 'scoring index', whereby;
Goal scored by;

Although this would more accurately reflect 'the odds' of a player scoring I do recognise that it may be a bit admin intensive.

Yeah and Hari would be picking Hart and Lloris every game.

Goal scored by;

Yeah mate , that’s just about what I meant .
I can work with that .
I won’t introduce it for Burnley , but bring it in for Antwerp . Who are the others that may come in , Jack Clark for one . Anybody else ? Without coming out of this and googling the named squads . , doing a Danny boy !!!! Ha ha . Thanks Smithy .

I can work with that .
I won’t introduce it for Burnley , but bring it in for Antwerp . Who are the others that may come in , Jack Clark for one . Anybody else ? Without coming out of this and googling the named squads . , doing a Danny boy !!!! Ha ha . Thanks Smithy .
Can only think of Clarke, 2 points, and maybe Gedson 3,

Anybody got any objections to that points system/ allocation ?
Walt, I organise a bunch of headless chickens in our golf group and at the beginning suggested all sorts of tricky metrics for allocating prizes and cutting handicaps...the message I git back was KISS...and I’m grateful...my suggestion to make it managable from your point of view would be just to divide players into groups such as attack, MF and defencers and allocate generic bonus points on that basis....just my thoughts to keep it sim0le...but in any event, stop telling everyone about my OG ploy...it’s my secret weapon! 😀😀

There needs to be a cap on what you can guess scoring-wise or a reduction in points for overage/underage. Otherwise you could pick 21-0 Spurs and put in all the players names and not lose out on not picking the right score.

The simplest way to deal with that is only have 1 point per goal per player and emphasize getting the score correct with a higher point award.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can work with that .

Christ Walt, you must be a bloody masochist! your style of communication and wit don't come across that way...

Walt, I organise a bunch of headless chickens in our golf group and at the beginning suggested all sorts of tricky metrics for allocating prizes and cutting handicaps...the message I git back was KISS...and I’m grateful...my suggestion to make it managable from your point of view would be just to divide players into groups such as attack, MF and defencers and allocate generic bonus points on that basis....just my thoughts to keep it sim0le...but in any event, stop telling everyone about my OG ploy...it’s my secret weapon! 😀😀
Agree Harry. The original suggestion was to scale points according to positions ranging between GK, CB and DM, FB and CM, AM and Strikers. The player 'index' was purely illustrative of what would normally apply.

There needs to be a cap on what you can guess scoring-wise or a reduction in points for overage/underage. Otherwise you could pick 21-0 Spurs and put in all the players names and not lose out on not picking the right score.

The simplest way to deal with that is only have 1 point per goal per player and emphasize getting the score correct with a higher point award.
That could certainly happen 80 if players purely want to beat the system, rather than trying to apply skill to both team and player predictions. Walt can easily overcome this by only allowing a maximum of four scorers a game. Instances where more than four players in a team score in the same game are minimal. If a player does nominate four scorers obviously the team must score at least four, which significantly reduces the odds of getting the exact score.
I do agree though that predicting the exact score should carry the biggest points value.

Status
Not open for further replies.