Test Match | Page 6 | Vital Football

Test Match

I once went out to bat and played and missed at the first four deliveries, the captain and bowler then stood about 2 feet away from me discussing my shortcomings as a batsmen while pretending to adjust the field... I found it hilarious...

Especially as you were probably acutely aware of your short-comings at that point! ;)

Self initiated sledging is not in the spirit of the game and it is the captain's responsibility to ensure it doesn't happen and deal with it when it does. It's certainly not in his remit to initiate it.

On the rare occasion the opposition started some I would let/expect my players 'stand up' for themselves and debrief it later.

The only time I've seen it get really ugly is when somebody told our Indian bowler to speak English when he was batting. It all kicked off and we eventually had to go out and restrain him. The opposition regretted what happened when they were bowled out for 30! We weren't happy bunnys and shows that sledging should actually work against the instigator. I went to the disciplinary hearing and common sense prevailed when their player got a ban and ours got a suspended.

In my experience at Lincs League level, thankfully there isn't a huge amount that goes on.
When India it's the captain that starts it, bloody childish IMHO as you say it habit of backfiring on you. Two series close together like tends to up the bad blood between the teams as well.

I don't ever remember hearing any when I played in the Newark or Grantham leagues, nor during a brief stint in the much more serious Bassetlaw league.
I do remember going back to watch my old village team about 10 years after I'd moved from the area, and a lot of the young lads were at it. All that went through my mind was, if I were batting which one would I smash in the teeth with my bat?! Totally unnecessary at village cricket level.

And the better players never needed to do it. Although I do remember a quick bowler playing, I think, for Thorsby Colliery who took great delight in intimidating young batsmen.

Bairstow bowled yet again! How many more can we keep picking the same players who continually fail in the same way time and again.
They've gone in their shells too, all over by tea now.
Awaits Root saying post match I got it wrong in India's second innings AGAIN!!!!!!!

Bairstow bowled yet again! How many more can we keep picking the same players who continually fail in the same way time and again.
They've gone in their shells too, all over by tea now.
Awaits Root saying post match I got it wrong in India's second innings AGAIN!!!!!!!
O look another one of wonderful middle order surrendering meekly!

This is meek, but it's very common for England to do this when chasing a big score in the 4th innings. The problem here is that we didn't get enough in the first innings, or more precisely we scored 75-100 too few and allowed them 50+ too many.

This is meek, but it's very common for England to do this when chasing a big score in the 4th innings. The problem here is that we didn't get enough in the first innings, or more precisely we scored 75-100 too few and allowed them 50+ too many.
Can't handle pressure and let teams of the hook when on top, they do it far too often.

Rushed home to see an exciting climax to the test….needn’t have bothered. What’s happened to the middle order AGAIN. Lost two wickets between me putting the car away and switching the tv on :rolleyes: Blown a good start again when I’d just started to think maybe, just maybe!

Bar Root and a couple of others you're spot on.

I honestly don't think there's too much wrong with the bowling options for the next few years even after Broad/Jimmy retire, although the spin department lacks something (we aren't always going to have a Graeme Swann kicking about though). It's the batting - no little talent, but very little expertise at the many different red ball scenarios.