Test Match | Page 8 | Vital Football

Test Match

I carried my bat once, if you can count batting at no.9 and being not out at the end as such. Scored 13 n.o. which included a clip to mid wicket for two followed by four overthrows. Batted at no.6 the next time, less successfully.
I don’t remember any sledging, in fact in one match the opposing skipper announced “new batsman” as I walked to the crease and everyone near the wicket applauded, pretty old school.
The same match I edged the ball and it lodged behind the flap of my pad….quick as a flash the captain, fielding at silly mid off or short point I think,recovered the ball and promptly threw it to the ground instead of appealing for a catch…..very sporting chap

My most absurdly hilarious dismissal was quite similar. It was an in-house 20 over match after work. I f

I faced off against Jonathan, a lovely man who wore bottle-bottom glasses and was possibly the least sporting person I have ever met.

He wobbled up to the crease and tossed the ball way over my head. Foolishly, I went after and toe-ended it. The ball looped to the 'keeper, Graham, who was almost as hopeless as the bowler and he somehow caught it between his thighs.

😁

Lengthening the tail might actually help the batting.

After today it looked like the tail started at no.5 anyway. Very true that you have to take 20 wickets to win a test and so many batsman letting us down at the moment. Can’t keep expecting Root to bail us out all the time. Nothing more frustrating than a batsman getting a start and then giving it away….not that many got a start today.
India have got a world class bowler in Bumrah but I’m not convinced their whole attack is to that standard and the wickets were shared amongst them.
I still find it hard to believe that we lost it from the position we were in at the end of day one to only getting a 99 lead

I would bring Leach and Wood in for and Ali and Overton next match. Ali did not do enough for me with the bat and was poor with the ball. We have to win to square the series and have to go with our strongest bowling attack,even if it does mean lengthening the tail.
Mark Wood is injured more than Joe Walsh. Expect him at Sincil Bank in January.

I would bring Leach and Wood in for and Ali and Overton next match. Ali did not do enough for me with the bat and was poor with the ball. We have to win to square the series and have to go with our strongest bowling attack,even if it does mean lengthening the tail.
Mo has just vice captain unless Buttler returns, Buttler fills me with zero confidence at test level, great one day player mind. This is flakeist middle order we've had in years. Leach is by far our best spinner but mainly plays abroad. Overton was poor and got an injury during his dismissal.
Only Burns has got a hundred bar Root this year.
We start again Friday and our 3 quicks have just bowled 100 overs in the Indian second innings.
There are some positives Robinson has been the find of the summer and Hameed and Pope show great potential it's that middle order!

After today it looked like the tail started at no.5 anyway. Very true that you have to take 20 wickets to win a test and so many batsman letting us down at the moment. Can’t keep expecting Root to bail us out all the time. Nothing more frustrating than a batsman getting a start and then giving it away….not that many got a start today.
India have got a world class bowler in Bumrah but I’m not convinced their whole attack is to that standard and the wickets were shared amongst them.
I still find it hard to believe that we lost it from the position we were in at the end of day one to only getting a 99 lead
We're finding new ways to lose!

My most absurdly hilarious dismissal was quite similar. It was an in-house 20 over match after work. I f

I faced off against Jonathan, a lovely man who wore bottle-bottom glasses and was possibly the least sporting person I have ever met.

He wobbled up to the crease and tossed the ball way over my head. Foolishly, I went after and toe-ended it. The ball looped to the 'keeper, Graham, who was almost as hopeless as the bowler and he somehow caught it between his thighs.

😁
We had a similar chap in one of our inter works matches. He used to “run” up to bowl but forgot to let go of the ball

When I worked at RHP in Newark, our Apprentice in-house team always did very well. Having a Notts U19 quick bowler and opening bat helped! Most of the rest were decent players too.
The Notts lads didn't help when I played against them in local league games though. One of them once carted me over the RHP pavilion and into the Polish war cemetery 4 balls on the spin. I didn't bowl the next over!

Buttler returns yippee!
So they'll drop Pope who scored 81 and reward the trio who struggle to pass 50.

More accurate to say that the IPL was worried about the threat of covid and persuaded the ECB to cancel it I suspect

I can't remember the full details but a story circulated a couple of months ago that the OT test scheduling was already under a cloud due to IPL date proximity. If true, it wouldn't have taken much to push this game over the edge.

I can't remember the full details but a story circulated a couple of months ago that the OT test scheduling was already under a cloud due to IPL date proximity. If true, it wouldn't have taken much to push this game over the edge.

IPL starts in 10 days time, those Indian players could quarantine individually from today and still play in the first game. Those players in the Indian squad with contracts will be desperate to ensure they are able to fulfil them.

IPL starts in 10 days time, those Indian players could quarantine individually from today and still play in the first game. Those players in the Indian squad with contracts will be desperate to ensure they are able to fulfil them.
It does appear that such considerations may have been at the forefront of decision making.

I certainly hope the ECB will be billing the ICB
It's the concessions and local businesses that are most likely to miss out. I appreciate Covid may have changed the landscape but the ECB and Lancs would normally have taken out insurance under writing.