Team vs Millwall | Page 6 | Vital Football

Team vs Millwall

Despite Gibson, I do think our defending has improved with more of the team tracking back. However, the midfield is not so well covered, which allows the opposition to penetrate further than they should be allowed.

Stronger teams will exploit that.
Agreed. That has been our issue since Skipp/Tettey left - we never replaced them both - we haven't had that hard tackling defensive midfielder who gives cover to the back four and lets the other midfielders go forward.

Most of last season our midfield was nonexistent and the same has been seen this season. Sara was doing the defensive play maker role on Sunday but would then venture forward and you could see large gaps in the middle.

Saints exposed this and got four goals - I think other better teams than Millwall will do the same.

Stacey is a big improvement on Aarons - he can defend, cross and take the ball down first time, Giannoulis looks to have improved but again still not an amazing defender, Duffy I like he is an old school massive central defender, but isn't the quickest and pace will be his downfall, Gibson is the weak link - Duffy and Omobamidele looked decent against QPR and kept a clean sheet. A quick-ish left footed central defender would be the final piece of our defence. Fisher as back up right back will be interesting to see how he does when needed, McCallum as backup left back is fine.

DW says that Gibson is playing over Omobamidele because of balance between left and right footed players but I bet Hanley will be back in once fit, so is it that he doesn't overly rate Omobamidele or that he doesn't want him to be part of the 11 and then he moves on?