Team for Cardiff | Vital Football

Team for Cardiff

NYC_LATICS

Vital Reserves Team
Obviously the next week could bring significant personnel changes, but with the preseason officially behind us now, I figure it's not too early to start talking about our best XI and bench for next Saturday.

Here's my line-up:

--------Garner----------

Jacobs---Windass---Pilkington

-----Morsy----Evans-----

Robinson--Fox--Dunkley--Byrne

--------Marshall-----------

Bench: Jones, Massey, Macleod, Kipre, Naismith, Lopes, Gelhardt

Sorry bro but if there are to be significant personnel changes during next week then that could be anything but the first eleven.
Then again you could be right the way the recruitment process is panning out i cant see many more additions.

Obviously the next week could bring significant personnel changes, but with the preseason officially behind us now, I figure it's not too early to start talking about our best XI and bench for next Saturday.

Here's my line-up:

--------Garner----------

Jacobs---Windass---Pilkington

-----Morsy----Evans-----

Robinson--Fox--Dunkley--Byrne

--------Marshall-----------

Bench: Jones, Massey, Macleod, Kipre, Naismith, Lopes, Gelhardt
Kipre for Dunkley and then I agree

If we don't sign anyone then I'd strongly consider going with wing backs to have the 3 CBs on to cope with Cardiffs aerial threat but try and play it as attacking as possible with 3 at back more than it being a flat defensive 5. But I'd really hope we have a new striker at least. I'm not far off starting Lang over Garner tbh if we don't get anyone in.

Marshall

Byrne
Kipre
Fox
Dunkley
Robinson

Morsy
Evans
Massey
Pilkington

Garner

If we went traditional 4-2-3-1 I'd go

Marshall

Byrne
Kipre
Fox
Robinson

Morsy
Evans

Massey
Pilkington
Windass

Garner

Last edited:
I'd like to see this team.
Windass
Jacobs-Evans-Massey
Morsy-Macleod
Robinson-Fox-Kipre-Byrne
Marshall

Cook tends to play the more experienced player's so i think he'll pick the following.
Garner
Jacobs-Pilkington-Massey
Morsy-Evans
Robinson-Fox-Dunkley-Byrne
Marshall

Marshall Tucker
Byrne, Cunning Fox, Dunks, Robinson's Ice Cream.
Morsy Code, Hop Along McCleod.
Pilkington Glass Mon, Geldhart, Naismith.
Longridge Ale Guzzler Garner.

Good luck Latics. We are the blues, We are the blues, We are, We are, We are the blues.

We are blue, round the bend, you won't take the Shevvy end.

Johnny Rogers, Johnny King, Mickey Worswick on the wing, Na na na na, na na na, na na.

We hate Stafford Rangers, we hate Alty to, We hate Wigan Rugby but Latics we love you.

We hate Nob End, We hate Nob End, We hate Nob End and we hate Nob End, We are the Nob End Haters.

Central Park is burning down, burning down, burning down, Central park is burning down, poor old rugby.

His name is Andy Lyons, football is a branch of science, he gets the ball, scores a goal, Andy Lyons, Andy Lyons.

The Duke, the Duke, The Dukes on fire.

What's that coming over the hill, It's Emile Heskey, It's Emile Heskey

Get the Rugby off our pitch, Get the rugby, Get the rugby, Get the Rugby off our pitch.

We beat Man City, We beat Man City, We beat Man City with a Watson Goal.

Will Griggs on fire, Your defence is terrified.

We beat Man City, We beat Man City, We beat Man City with a Will Grigg Goal.

Geldhart, Lang, Weir will be ringing in your ear and very soon the greed league will sniff and the cash tills will be ringing.

Happy new season Tics of all kinds, all opinions.
Remember we are all fans and supporters of the greatest club on Earth.

We are the Blues, We are the Blues, We are we are, We are the Blues.

Happy new season.

Marshall Tucker
Byrne, Cunning Fox, Dunks, Robinson's Ice Cream.
Morsy Code, Hop Along McCleod.
Pilkington Glass Mon, Geldhart, Naismith.
Longridge Ale Guzzler Garner.

Good luck Latics. We are the blues, We are the blues, We are, We are, We are the blues.

We are blue, round the bend, you won't take the Shevvy end.

Johnny Rogers, Johnny King, Mickey Worswick on the wing, Na na na na, na na na, na na.

We hate Stafford Rangers, we hate Alty to, We hate Wigan Rugby but Latics we love you.

We hate Nob End, We hate Nob End, We hate Nob End and we hate Nob End, We are the Nob End Haters.

Central Park is burning down, burning down, burning down, Central park is burning down, poor old rugby.

His name is Andy Lyons, football is a branch of science, he gets the ball, scores a goal, Andy Lyons, Andy Lyons.

The Duke, the Duke, The Dukes on fire.

What's that coming over the hill, It's Emile Heskey, It's Emile Heskey

Get the Rugby off our pitch, Get the rugby, Get the rugby, Get the Rugby off our pitch.

We beat Man City, We beat Man City, We beat Man City with a Watson Goal.

Will Griggs on fire, Your defence is terrified.

We beat Man City, We beat Man City, We beat Man City with a Will Grigg Goal.

Geldhart, Lang, Weir will be ringing in your ear and very soon the greed league will sniff and the cash tills will be ringing.

Happy new season Tics of all kinds, all opinions.
Remember we are all fans and supporters of the greatest club on Earth.

We are the Blues, We are the Blues, We are we are, We are the Blues.

Happy new season.

Here here!

Marshall
Byrne Dunkley Fox Robinson
Morsy Evans
Massey Jacobs Lowe
New striker

Subs: Jones, Kipre, Naismith, Macleod, Windass, Pilkington Garner

One can dream!

Just realised we need a home grown lad in there, so Gelhardt in you come, tatty bye Windass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must admit I am with KDZ on this, and given we switched to three CB's for the final half of the game yesterday, I think that will be the way PC goes.

Fox on the left, Dunkley centre and Kipre on the right looked very solid for the second half, with Byrne and Robinson using their pace to get forward and create openings. I also think he is hoping to emulate Wilders tactics at Sheffield by allowing Fox or Kipre to push forward when in possession with the two wing backs tucking in for protection. Fox has shown in the last two friendlies that he has the capacity to deliver a decent cross field pass.

Whats everyone's opinion on Dunkley vs Kipre? Feel like both are decent defenders, just don't seem to click for me when they play together. Just thinking if Fox were to get injured which is to be expected would you trust them both playing together again..?

Fox and Kipre for me , i think PC will stay with his 4 2 3 1 and change it when we get bombarded
Keeper
Byrne Fox Kipre Robinson
Morsy Evens
Pilkington Windass Jacobs
Garner

Whats everyone's opinion on Dunkley vs Kipre? Feel like both are decent defenders, just don't seem to click for me when they play together. Just thinking if Fox were to get injured which is to be expected would you trust them both playing together again..?

As you say they are both decent defenders but are young and inexperienced at Championship level, Fox is the experienced, level headed, leader. The longer either of them plays alongside Fox the better, but if we had to put them out together without him I would have no qualms. I feel that both will benefit from having the experience and calming influence of Fox guiding them and will develop into better players.

Personally last season i felt Dunkley didn't have many ok games he was outstanding or had a nightmare - it was either extreme. While Kipre was the opposite rarely had a nightmare or was outstanding but was just ok most of the time - nothing to shout about. Kipre's young age and Dunkley's best days meant they both had potential but i wasn't sure if they'd grow into Championship quality defenders or not. I was probably leaning more 'no' than 'yes' to be honest.

But Fox has looked a class act and i'm sure whoever he plays with will benefit from his leadership and organisational skills so hopefully he'll bring the best out of both - I thought Kipre looked very impressive this preseason and Dunkleys done well too. I went into the summer thinking we definetely needed a new first choice centre back to partner Fox - but the friendly performances from Kipre have eased my worries a little bit. While we still need another centre back we might be ok if they were more of a back up than first choice than i originally thought.

I'd be interested to see whether any of you who posted teams earlier in the week would change them given the recent additions to the squad.
I have no idea what my starting line up would be. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what Cook does.

Marshall

Byrne Kipre Fox Robinson

Morsy Evans

Lowe Jacobs Massey

Pilkington

A lot won't agree but think Pilkington would be good up top and he's done it for other clubs. That all said if we do sign a striker (Moore) he'd start if fit.

Jacobs is one our best players technically and I would trust him in the CAM role to Windass.

Absolute pace down both flanks!!

The squad is too strong to predict what Cook might start with.
But I’d expect Lowe to be on the bench for starters as he’s probably behind where he should be fitness wise.
I’d be surprised if Windass doesn’t start, that’s a no brainier really.
I’d also be surprised if Pilkington doesn’t start, another no brainier.
Will Sterling have made an instant impression as James did and consign Byrne to the bench? Who will,partner Fox, I don’t know, either one will be ok for me.
The interesting debate would be who partners Morsy. Again any of three would do for me.

Is that Mendes Lang still at Cardiff? If so I'd really have Jacobs and Robinson on the left because he can be a complete nuisance.

Windass and Pilks both need to start after pre season. Garner

Marshall
Byrne Kipre Fox Robinson
Williams Evans
Pilkington Windass Jacobs
Garner

Subs: Jones, Sterling, Dunkley, McLeod, Lowe, Lang, Gelhardt

Don't think Massey is fully fit yet but I can see him in place of Joffy, Morsy is out with hamstring injury.

I think the nailed-on starters are Marshall, Robinson, Fox and Garner. The rest, I don't know. You'd expect Lang or Gelhardt to he the home grown player on the bench.

As for Cardiff, brought a German striker in, Robert Glatzel, however he will sit out a two-match ban, so Omar Bogle (who's had a very good preseason for them) may start, or Gary Madine. Jazz Richards is out for them and that's a big loss to their back 4 however they signed Curtis Nelson and he's as solid as they come at this level.

I'd actually suggest we don't bring any debutants in - they'll be filled with debuts as they've had a lot of injuries to overcome. I'd fill the bench with the lads who have just come in and hope our greater cohesion carries us through the 90 minutes. If we play like we can, we could snatch a 1-0 or a 2-1 but we'd better compete for every ball, against a Warnock-managed side.