Swansea (A) Match Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

Swansea (A) Match Thread

You need a slice of good luck to get you out of a rut, it's been proven time and time again that a scrappy win can change a teams mentality.
Who even mentioned stupid things like socks, only you????

i menteoned the (lucky) socks cos you brought in that magical frase. "you need a slice of good luck". This strate out of fifa manual 25 chap 6 para 4. "if you cant make proper subs during a game or you are on a losing streek then apply, using form 4, for a slice of luck to be added.

Do you really believe that Cook sent us out in the second half to defend the lead for the whole second half ?

from what ive seen it wouldnt be to far from the truth.

He likely told them to keep them from scoring for at least 20 mins that's all and that is sensible.

which in english is. defend the goal for 20 mins to stop them from scoring.

They changed their formation and we dealt with it but conceded two soft goals from set pieces (again) not from open play.

but did we reely deel with it kenny. thats the qwesteon. also them soft goals came from set peeces that shouldnt oh happened if we had of kept up a more attacking frame of mind and formateon.

In an ideal world we would have kept up the attacking formation we had in the first half but they forced us out of it, Cook was clearly seen on the touchline urging his players to press forwards so it obviously was not a change of tactics dictated by the Manager as you are suggesting

but thats it kenny. its not an ideal world. and for me we had the opteon of keeping up the attacking formateon. i sed it erlier in the thred when i sed take off gibson shuffle midfeeld and bring on fresh legs. cal mac was ripe for it then (maybe sooner for me). it would of nocked them on there back foot and then they would of had to reasses there strategy.

You’re right Kenny Dan Burn was also disgraceful and trust me I’m glad he’s gone. We should have let him go in the summer.

In an ideal world we would have kept up the attacking formation we had in the first half but they forced us out of it, Cook was clearly seen on the touchline urging his players to press forwards so it obviously was not a change of tactics dictated by the Manager as you are suggesting
Totally agree with comments from Kenny Morris in this thread. Despite the moans at the starting 11 the team were on top and attacking in the 1st half. Naismith & Gibson were standouts getting into important positions. If you had been to the game you'd have noticed that Swansea made 2 important subs : Naughton and Montero. The players had to adapt and pursuing the 1/2 style might be suicidal. We were clearly stretched on our left with no natural left footed players. Massey was drafted in to help counter this leaving our right exposed. Cook rightly took James off as he was truly beaten frequently. I personally think Paul Cook had no choice but to make those changes. Their 2nd goal came from a corner which should have been our goal kick.
And as for not playing Callum - surely there must be a valid reason why.

Big questions have to be asked about picking players we say aren't fit. Why arent they fit?

I dont think Garner and Gibson have been out injured in ages so why are they not fit? I can understand maybe they are rusty or not sharp from not having a run of games but surely fitness shouldn't be an issue in mid season.

Are we not arranging behind closed doors 90 min practice games for the squad players like Jones, Bruce, Lopes, MacDonald, Macca, etc - even against our youth teams to ensure everyone not in the side every week is fit enough to do 90 mins as needed? This seems a bit crazy that the only way our players can stay fit is being in the starting 11.

If he felt players like Garner just need a run of games to get goals again why have we chopped and changed strikers so much in reccent weeks? Why does this not apply to Macca? Get him in and give him a run.

Confused how he felt that if he didn't want to get pushed back so deep the best way to negate it was to drop one of the midfielders into defence - surely you only drop extra men into defence when you accept you are going to sit deeper?

The bit about wanting to play Macca is pure lip service. Cook said something very similar back in September and again about a month or so ago and here we are with him only playing about 300 minutes in a half season and being an unused sub most games behind 2 out of position right backs during an injury crisis on the right wing. People say Cook doesn't want to play Macca as it's obviously true - we've heard him say 'his time will come' before and his actions don't match his words. It's been harder to leave Macca out than play him when you see the lack of goals and creativity - so 'anyone would be foolish to believe' he genuinely wants to use him.

Last edited:
Yet miss he did costing us three points and reinforcing the fact he isn't good enough to play at this level. Like Vaughan the other week and windarse most weeks he even failed to hit the target when it it's inconceivable not to. Unforgivable and is why we are in another relegation battle.

Unforgivable haha give over. He’s not a striker, nor did I realise he was responsible for Dan Burn making two errors from corners. I see you also conveniently forgot he earned one of our goals by winning a penalty, so it balances out.

I’m sure you were celebrating long into the night after his miss, don’t get too excited though there’s another game on Tuesday yet!

Last edited:
Let’s forget that minus Routledge and Van Der Voorn our first XI was most likely more expensive than Swansea’s first XI. I must admit I was shitting myself at the thought of going up against Jay Fulton and Matt Grimes in midfield, not to mention all their academy graduates in their team. The same team that got beat at home to Ipswich. But according to the happy clappers their the Championship version of Barcelona. Give me a break.

Oh pass on my regards to your Kal for missing that sitter at 2-0 which would have surely wrapped it up even by our standards, my blind dog would have buried that if I had one.

As for Cook, I’m not a fan of the vote of confidence statement as it more often that not leads to a sacking two weeks later. But if the new owners plan to keep Cook for the season come what may, then they’d be smart to just come out and say it like Whelan did about Martinez so everyone knows where we’re at and focuses on supporting the team. Because if not the shouts will only get louder, especially with two more home losses coming up on the horizon.

‘Championship version of Barcelona’ - I don’t remember saying that, nor likening them to anything of the kind. As a certain floppy-haired orange fella once said, “You are fake news.”

Don’t worry, I’ll pass on your thoughts and comments to our Kal, I’m sure he’ll be devastated to hear that his footballing abilities have not been ratified by *looks at smudged writing on hand* ‘Random Hostile Internet User’. ?

Unforgivable haha give over. He’s not a striker, nor did I realise he was responsible for Dan Burn making two errors from corners. I see you also conveniently forgot he earned one of our goals by winning a penalty, so it balances out.

I’m sure you were celebrating long into the night after his miss, don’t get too excited though there’s another game on Tuesday yet!

Unforgivable was in reference to all those sitters missed week in week out by the aforementioned culprits. He was inexplicably pushed over by an irresponsible defender, hardly 'won' a penalty now did he. I suspect your arm must have aching bashing your tambourine or summat else when that happened.

On that miss...there was good and bad in the space of 3 seconds. His first touch was superb ( any forward would have been proud of ) but his second was extremely poor. To miss the target from 16 ish yards , centre ish of goal , for a pro is bloody crap. It happens ofcourse but it happens to our players too regularly.

Surprised no one (apologies if I have missed it) mentioned the spat between Morsy and Evans immediately after the pen was awarded, summat not reet int camp?