Sunderland vs Latics | Page 13 | Vital Football

Sunderland vs Latics

Would you like me to say Darikwa is a good player because he plays for us ? I have seen thousands of players through the years who have played for Latics and they all havent been good plenty of duck eggs amongst them and Darikwa is one, fortunately for him he is one of Leam's favourites.
No, but you obviously have an agenda about him as you have done nothing but post negative things about him since he signed.
I wondered who the new Naismith was going to be this year and Darikwa has a head strt on anyone else so far.

We were started the game superbly yesterday.Scored a well worked goal and were on top.Before we had the chance to build on it,the ref has given them a really soft penalty.This has lifted Sunderland and their fans,with the momentum of the game changing as a result.Sunderland were the better team after that.Goals change games and this was a massive moment in the game.

The ref,Madley was horrendous in the game at Hull last season as well,which included not giving us 2 penalties,one of which was an absolute disgrace how it wasn't given.That could've had huge consequences for us had Rochdale not lost.Then that penalty he awarded in the League 2 play off final shortly after was also a disgraceful decision,which cost Newport and former tic Mike Flynn promotion.Even though I do prefer to be playing Morecambe this season due to the local aspect,it was extremely harsh on Newport.
I hope we never have that tosser refereeing us again!

Northern Echo--Latics Match Ratings v Sunderland:

Wigan Athletic

Formation 4-2-3-1

Ben Amos 6, Tom Pearce 5, Tom Naylor 6, Jack Whatmough 5, Gwion Edwards 7, Max Power 7, Charlie Wyke 5, Will Keane 6, Callum Lang 6, Tendayi Darikwa 7, Adam Long 6

Subs: Jamie Jones (GK), Jordan Cousins (N/A), Gavin Massey, Jordan Jones 6, Thelo Aasgaard, Luke Robinson, Stephen Humprhys 5

Referee: Robert Madley
Attendance: 31,549

No, but you obviously have an agenda about him as you have done nothing but post negative things about him since he signed.
I wondered who the new Naismith was going to be this year and Darikwa has a head strt on anyone else so far.

I really don't have any agenda against any player, and the fact I have been negative about him all along goes to show how consistently poor he has been (in my opinion) it's all about opinions !!
If you watch his play you will see he gives the ball away 80% of the time when going forward and well ! His defending isn't very good and to make him captain is a bit of a joke really. He may well be a lovely bloke, but he will certainly be our weak link this season.

PS
As an afterthought, I think Tom Pierce is a poor defender as well but at least he puts a good cross in :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:
I really don't have any agenda against any player, and the fact I have been negative about him all along goes to show how consistently poor he has been (in my opinion) it's all about opinions !!
If you watch his play you will see he gives the ball away 80% of the time when going forward and well ! His defending isn't very good and to make him captain is a bit of a joke really. He may well be a lovely bloke, but he will certainly be our weak link this season.

PS
As an afterthought, I think Tom Pierce is a poor defender as well but at least he puts a good cross in :rolleyes: ;)

You've been saying about Darikwa for a while, I do rate him higher than you but I do see where you are coming from.

Time will tell if you are right that he needs replacing or if others are right that he will come good. But in the meantime you're entitled to not rate him without being accused of having an agenda against him.

Northern Echo--Latics Match Ratings v Sunderland:

Wigan Athletic

Formation 4-2-3-1

Ben Amos 6, Tom Pearce 5, Tom Naylor 6, Jack Whatmough 5, Gwion Edwards 7, Max Power 7, Charlie Wyke 5, Will Keane 6, Callum Lang 6, Tendayi Darikwa 7, Adam Long 6

Subs: Jamie Jones (GK), Jordan Cousins (N/A), Gavin Massey, Jordan Jones 6, Thelo Aasgaard, Luke Robinson, Stephen Humprhys 5

Referee: Robert Madley
Attendance: 31,549

Personally I think we were mostly 5s and a couple of 6s. While Sunderland were mostly 6s and 7s with the front three 8s and maybe even 9s.

Sunderland fans think they’ve won the league on the opening day. You’d think, of any fanbase, of any club, anywhere in England that would not act like they’re walking the league, it’d be them. But clearly they will never learn.

They looked pretty average yesterday so, if they’re the standard, some more defensive depth and a bit of gelling for the new guys and we’ll be right up there.

Sunderland will be up there at the end of the season. Might not win the League. 46 games in a season. We will have more idea when we have played 6 or 7 games. And also who we sign before. The window shuts. After yesterday just shows we need a target man up front. As we have know one who can hold the ball up.

Could have the best target man on the planet, but if none of the play goes near him he's going to do nothing.

4 defenders who played terrible, defensive midfielder who was nervous. They were kicking the ball out of bounds, shanking clearances down the flanks. The build up from the back was shocking, most of that was due to their crowd, but they need to do better.

I was expecting calmer heads but that wasn't the case.

4 defenders who played terrible, defensive midfielder who was nervous. They were kicking the ball out of bounds, shanking clearances down the flanks. The build up from the back was shocking, most of that was due to their crowd, but they need to do better.

I was expecting calmer heads but that wasn't the case.

Now that really is an exageration

They had 16 shots to our 8, 69% pass completion. They weren't great with the ball but atleast they weren't panicking.

Why the hate for Sunderland from certain posters?

I thought it was visible that both sides were getting used to playing together. I believe Wigan had 9 debutants? That's going to take some gelling...

I was never impressed with Power, he never influenced any games or us but he knows your club inside out so may be a different player now. I don't think Charlie Wyke will ever score 26 league goals again in his career in one season. I think his record was down the unbelievable record McGeady had with assists. He didn't play until December last season and finished with the most assists in England. You'll need to build your tactics all around Wyke if you want him getting 20 goals but that will be to the detriment of your other players. Jordan Jones is unbelievably talented but inconsistent. He'll score a few worldies for you, no doubt. If you get his consistency sorted, he's clearly one of the best players in this league.

Sunderland still aren't sorted. We were playing a centre midfielder at right back and a young midfielder from the u23's made his debut at left back. We are desperate to get them sorted but it looks like Cirkin is coming from Tottenham in the coming days so that should be our LB position sorted.

I haven't heard anything from people around me which suggest Sunderland think they have already won the league. We are happy with 3 points in the opening fixture. Who wouldn't be? We won't win the league with the current squad but I do honestly believe if we can bring in another 2-3 quality players like we've done so far then we should definitely be there or thereabouts.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I always enjoy my away days down at your gaff.

Talking Tactics: Why Sunderland were deserved winners against a fast-starting Wigan - Roker Report

If Wyke is so crap and McGeady is so great why was Wyke voted Sunderland's 20/21 player of the season?
Because McGeady only played half a season and Wyke scored a load of goals. I'm not here to argue, mate.

I believe we'll score more goals this time around with far more players chipping in. We should be harder to play against now we aren't so one dimensional. We'll see over the course of the season. It's only my opinion on what I've seen.

Why the hate for Sunderland from certain posters?

I thought it was visible that both sides were getting used to playing together. I believe Wigan had 9 debutants? That's going to take some gelling...

I was never impressed with Power, he never influenced any games or us but he knows your club inside out so may be a different player now. I don't think Charlie Wyke will ever score 26 league goals again in his career in one season. I think his record was down the unbelievable record McGeady had with assists. He didn't play until December last season and finished with the most assists in England. You'll need to build your tactics all around Wyke if you want him getting 20 goals but that will be to the detriment of your other players. Jordan Jones is unbelievably talented but inconsistent. He'll score a few worldies for you, no doubt. If you get his consistency sorted, he's clearly one of the best players in this league.

Sunderland still aren't sorted. We were playing a centre midfielder at right back and a young midfielder from the u23's made his debut at left back. We are desperate to get them sorted but it looks like Cirkin is coming from Tottenham in the coming days so that should be our LB position sorted.

I haven't heard anything from people around me which suggest Sunderland think they have already won the league. We are happy with 3 points in the opening fixture. Who wouldn't be? We won't win the league with the current squad but I do honestly believe if we can bring in another 2-3 quality players like we've done so far then we should definitely be there or thereabouts.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I always enjoy my away days down at your gaff.

Talking Tactics: Why Sunderland were deserved winners against a fast-starting Wigan - Roker Report
No hate from us pal, just bored of Sunderland fans delusions of grandeur.
The hate only seems to be coming from your way, no doubt a by product of being rinsed £3.25m for Grigg.

Because McGeady only played half a season and Wyke scored a load of goals. I'm not here to argue, mate.

I believe we'll score more goals this time around with far more players chipping in. We should be harder to play against now we aren't so one dimensional. We'll see over the course of the season. It's only my opinion on what I've seen.
McGeady was responsible for just 9 of Wyke's 26 goals last season , which kinda blows any argument that Wyke was being "spoon fed" out of the water.

You'll need to build your tactics all around Wyke if you want him getting 20 goals but that will be to the detriment of your other players.

Agree with you about that. Wyke does create a dilemma for us. Do we build our tactics purely to suit Wyke and get goals out of him (to the detriment of our other attacking players)?
Or do we play a more varied game which may better suit Humphrys, Lang and Keane.......but then we'll get very little out of Wyke?

I was in a pub in Boldon Colliery before the game, meeting up with some Sunderland- supporting lads who I know through work. They were all laughing about us signing Wyke, and asking "have you sussed him out yet"?. Also saying "there's a reason why none of the Championship clubs who scouted him last season...... were interested in signing him". "Ross Stewart is a much better all-round footballer".

Wyke is certainly a very limited all-round footballer (I think anybody who's watched him would say that)......but he did score a lot of goals last season. He presents our Management /Coaching team with a connundrum.

Good read and very interesting heat maps.

No hatred for Sunderland here.

Last edited: