Sunderland (a) | Vital Football

Sunderland (a)

C_Latic

Vital 1st Team Regular
My first time going to the SOL since 2011, when Di Santo got gifted a last minute tap in after Al Habsi had single-handedly kept us in the game. Still to this day I've never heard boos live in a stadium louder than then and Steve Bruce got potted straight after. That game was right after we'd played....Blackburn at home. Less said about that one though, the better (still makes me angry thinking about it).

I foresee changes again with another midweek game straight after and to be honest a much more important game (dropping points to bottom-four Middlesbrough far more costly than dropping points to mid-table Sunderland). I'd be very surprised if Wyke starts and another Broadhead rest is probably on the cards. So I'm expecting Magennis and Thelo to come in.

I'd be delighted to shithouse a 0-0 but I'm sorry to say, I can only see defeat with Josh in the team. We don't play the same way, he isn't as effective as Wyke and his teammates' performances drop as well when playing with him. Not to mention our ex-Sunderland players like Power and McClean put in terrible showings last season when against them, clearly struggling with the Sunderland fans' stick. I expect the same this time round.

Agree with you just like last year these men are shit
We can hold our own against the best in the league when we come up against the shit we struggle
Sunderland being prime example shit

Sunderland's wide players are a handful, but they haven't got any forwards fit. Stewart and Simms both out, or have been for the past 7/4 games. Defenders will need to pick up their man in the box, as they will most likely be looking to put low crosses into smaller players. They've not won in the past 4 since Simm's injury, but they've matched or bettered the shot count in those games, they will carry a threat.

Never seen Diallo, but when a club pays 20 million for him, must have something about him.

Their home form is similar to ours only winning once so far this season. Hopefully get after them and force them into problems.

If give Fletcher a run up top on his own if Wyke needs to be rested. This has all the hallmarks of another smash and grab game as we know their fans will get very anxious if they aren’t on top against us.
I didn't see any reason last night to rest Wyke, if anything he looks fitter and faster than he was prior to his heart attack.

Sunderland certainly missing their 2 big strikers but they play good football and are very quick on the counter with the creativity of Pritchard and the pace of Clarke and Roberts.

They play the type of pass and move we have struggled against in the past and this isn't a game I'd have fancied us in but if they are without their strikers it's a good time to play them.

Hopefully we'll have more of a Rotherham and Blackburn like display rather than a Hull or Cardiff.

I'm not sure if we will rotate the starting 11 but Wyke and Broadhead are going to be key if they do play.

If rotation has to happen, to keep players fit and available, then I would argue that this is a game that deserves to be considered. In my mind this is a 50/50, we could take the points, or we could crash and burn. The Middlesbrough game on the other hand is more in our favour and I would rather see both Wyke and Broadhead fully charged and raring to go.

I am not normally in favour of squad rotation, but with the number of games we have to play prior to the World Cup break, and the fact that Broadhead and Wyke in particular need their game time managing due to their health and injury problems. I think we have to understand that LR has to make these decisions and target those games where they will give us the edge, and as I say, I see the Middlesbrough game as one to target.

Their captain and def midfielder Cory Evans is suspended and new 2m centre half Dan Ballard also out on top of Simms and Stewart. So that's the spine of their team unavailable.

Thay are a team of midget's pepper the box .max will be Rubin his hands.coners, throw ins ,free kicks, up the tics come on 👍

I have an exiled Mackem supporter as an acquaintance …who slags the team, the board and the management endlessly …
Last seasons Promotion left him only very faintly impressed (I think if they ever won the Champions League Final, but failed to do so with a three goal margin he’d boo em off)…and he also states that they are a team of midgets ….how true that is I don’t know but they do have fast effective wingers which is often what we struggle with.

I have an exiled Mackem supporter as an acquaintance …who slags the team, the board and the management endlessly …
Last seasons Promotion left him only very faintly impressed (I think if they ever won the Champions League Final, but failed to do so with a three goal margin he’d boo em off)…and he also states that they are a team of midgets ….how true that is I don’t know but they do have fast effective wingers which is often what we struggle with.

They are certainly missing a lot of their height and physicality with the players they have out and are vulnerable to set pieces. But they have plenty of pace, creativity and flair and are so dangerous on the counter.

It'll be a huge clash of styles.

Playing Sunderland always amuses me what with their entitled belief that large numbers of supporters means owt on the day. My mind automatically goes to Roukes Drift where 140 Brits held off about 3,500 Zulus who obviously didn't know what fuckin day it was. Stats ( yes them ) tell us 17 Brits died along with 350 Zulus with 500 injured ....shower of shite or what?

I expect tomorrow follows a similar pattern with the Zulus getting their arses kicked again.

This would be a big win for us if we can get the job done. I hate saying it but even getting a point wouldn't be a bad outcome. Go Tics

Unchanged team.

Wigan Athletic: Amos, Kerr, Whatmough, Tilt, Darikwa (Capt), Naylor, Power, McClean, Keane, Wyke, Broadhead.
Subs: Jones (GK), Bennett, Cousins, Shinnie, Aasgaard, Magennis, Fletcher.