Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 140 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Smacks of desperation after mucking up Cfld and Partick to me
Sad to say, it certainly looks that way.
Instead of taking a bit of a timeout to refocus after his sacking from us, he jumped straight into Chesterfield and its been going downhill ever since... 😔

https://the72.co.uk/249947/wigan-at...out-luke-robinson-after-joe-bennett-addition/

Wigan Athletic should consider loaning out Luke Robinson
after signing Joe Bennett.

Smith, Robinson, Long and Aasgaard could all benefit from playing senior football regularly out on loan but with the window shut we can only loan to non league sides. I'm not sure how high a standard that could be but we seem to have a lot of ties with Fylde so maybe we could make something happen there.

Sky Team of the Week:

Image27.jpg

Goalkeeper

Ben Garratt (Burton)

Defence

Max Power (Wigan)

Michael Nottingham (Accrington Stanley)

Dan Scarr (Plymouth)

Conor Grant (Plymouth)

Midfield

Anthony Hartigan (AFC Wimbledon)

Ryan Broom (Plymouth)

Anthony Scully (Lincoln)

Will Keane (Wigan)

Oladapo Afolayan (Bolton Wanderers)

Striker

Mikael Mandron (Crewe)

Managed by

Ian Evatt (Bolton Wanderers)

Last edited:
What was typical of Max Power on Saturday.
He was on the receiving end of a crunching tackle but was up immediately taking a quick throw in to Wyke he provided the cross for the second goal.

One of our issues this season have been we've been quite slow when there was a chance to break, but on Saturday there seemed a few instances where we seemed to show more urgency in those instances and it paid off.

Bruce must have thought 'what the hell is going on?!' when he got reports back on Watts at Plymouth - how could such a promising player be under performing so much?

So he obviously wanted to make sure he picked a club who he trusted to get it right this time and must rate Richardson and his staff.

I thought it odd that a supposed highly rated player had to rely on his manager to fix him up with a loan.
Even after poor reports from Plymouth i thought clubs would be queueing up to take him.
I think if Kell shines all season and we go up he'll be ours next season.

I thought it odd that a supposed highly rated player had to rely on his manager to fix him up with a loan.
Even after poor reports from Plymouth i thought clubs would be queueing up to take him.
I think if Kell shines all season and we go up he'll be ours next season.
We can only hope... He's definitely already better than all but a handful of L1 CBs, and probably a good few in the Championship. With a full season of regular first team games and good coaching, he's potentially very much a Premier League quality player. If we could secure him on a permanent deal, at worst, we'd have a top notch player for a couple of years then a big transfer fee, and at best a player who could stay part of the Latics picture all the way up the leagues.

To be performing as well as he is now after just half a dozen games at the club to learn the system, settle into the area and the squad and still being very young for a CB (most CBs tend to only really come into their prime at 23-24), there's clearly a lot of scope for him to really make a splash at higher levels of football. We're probably a bit spoiled in terms of our expectations for loan players, having had Reece James for a year, but compared to the vast majority of loan players we've seen, Watts is an absolutely class act.

I think he's got a big future... unfortunately, I just can't foresee Newcastle letting him go. At least not at a fee we'd be able to afford. Unfortunately, the better he is for us this year, the higher any future fee, if they'd let him go at all. Most likely if he continues to improve, by the end of the season, he'll have top end Championship clubs or even smaller Premier League clubs chasing his signature.

Last edited:
Despite him having done well we need to play our own players - Kerr need in if we play 2 CBs or adding to play 3

Despite him having done well we need to play our own players - Kerr need in if we play 2 CBs or adding to play 3
I agree in a sense... I've always maintained that loan players should never come in if we have our own players. But by come in, I mean be signed in the first place. I've said this before: we shouldn't use our game time and coaching resources to develop players for other clubs at the expense of our own players. Once a loan player is actually signed, though, I think they should be treated exactly the same as any other member of the squad for the duration of their loan. It would be rather dim to punish players for being here on loan when we agreed to sign them on loan only a few weeks ago and they haven't put a foot wrong... Watts has been excellent so far, and no player should get dropped when they're playing well.

With all that said, I suspect that it'll be a back three soon anyway (otherwise why bring Tilt back too?), and Kerr will just be added in, probably for a wide attacking player since playing with a back three means more opportunity for wing backs to get forward.