Summer transfer thread | Page 82 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

He's not someone expected to break into the first team at Everton (although for them that'd be a nice bonus) but he has enough value that Everton will be managing his contract in a way to demonstrate that he's maybe Championship quality and to eventually get a fee that is recognition of that... or if they were to drop down then he'd be someone in and around the squad on a very affordable wage.

He's a good signing for us, although quite similar to Humphrys. He can play across the front line so adds a few options.

fair points mate, in the short term if he does well for us that our only concern I guess

Glad broadhead has been confirmed, It is concerning that at 24 he's only played 40 senior game but for Everton to be so patient with him and still want to keep hold of him despite injury concerns he must really have something.
We need more to provide the kind of service he will need to show what he can do but a great start. Hope he gets a decent amount of minutes saturday off the bench I would imagine
Depends on his fitness level , hope he is on bench saturday but imagine a week or so away hope im wrong

Glad broadhead has been confirmed, It is concerning that at 24 he's only played 40 senior game but for Everton to be so patient with him and still want to keep hold of him despite injury concerns he must really have something.
We need more to provide the kind of service he will need to show what he can do but a great start. Hope he gets a decent amount of minutes saturday off the bench I would imagine
Hopefully gets A run out tonight just on my way to Fleetwood now Blackpool first Up the tics 😃

I'm very pleased with Broadhead, i think he's going to be a player than could heavily shape our season if we can use him correctly and keep him fit.

Like most players we are going to get there is always going to be some type of issue with them that put other clubs off, in this instance his injury record. But it was the same with Keane and Whatmough before they arrived and a bit further back Powell and we managed to get so much out of them. So fingers crossed our medical staff will be able to work similar wonders with Broadhead. Definitely worth the gamble for me.

If we drop Broadhead into our current 4-2-3-1 with lots of long balls he will struggle, but surely we wouldn't bother signing him if that was the plan. So hopefully it's an indication we will use him in a striker partnership feeding off flick on's and knock downs from a target man and looking to exploit his pace and movement with more through balls. He's completely different to what we have and i think he will add a much needed dose of pace, flair and dynamism to our battlers.

I wish we'd have been able to sign him permanently though as i think if it goes well Everton will recall and sell in January for a fee that will be beyond us. But If that happens it will at least mean he'd have done very well for us.

Link below to a article about what he's like:

Nathan Broadhead – Welcome to Wigan Athletic – Talking Wigan

Not a player so to speak, but I notice Everton have poached our under 18s manager Kieran Driscoll for their own under 18s. Gone to be assistant under Bainesy.

Egyptian media have suggested we are interested in triggering the £2.6m buyout clause of Egyptian winger Ahmed Sayed who has scored 16 goals in 27 games this season.

Similar to the Gad story, it’s clear our ownership see value in investing in players from the Middle East beyond just what the player can bring to the team. It looks like they see the investment almost as a marketing cost by heightening our brand awareness in the region. Of course neither of the transfers have been confirmed yet although it definitely appears there is interest from our side in signing someone from there.

This guy is an Egyptian international so would probably secure a work permit. Although the cash outlay is of mild concern, I think it would be hard not to get excited at the prospect of what he could bring to the team.

link:

Just had a quick look at him, he started his senior career in Belgium second tier before moving to Portugal for a couple of second tier sides there. He made a good 100 or so appearances by the time he was in his early 20's at those 3 clubs but his goals and assists weren't anything to shout about.

But since moving to Zamalek in Egypt about 4 years ago he's had a 1 in 2 goal contribution record (33 goals, 22 assists in 101 league games according to Transfermarrkt.com).

Considering we've been so conservative in the market so far, paying 2.6m for one player from Egypt would seem a big gamble. I'd never heard of him before so maybe this lad is a genuine world beater and he's worth every penny, but at the same time any player coming in from a foreign league adapting isn't a given so you would wonder if that huge chunk of our budget could be spread out over a few good players domestically. If there is any truth in the story in the first place. Unless we believe there is some type of significant commercial value in signing an Arabic player that would help to recoup the outlay for him. In which case - that makes a lot more sense.

For anyone interested in some clips of what he's like.

Not a player so to speak, but I notice Everton have poached our under 18s manager Kieran Driscoll for their own under 18s. Gone to be assistant under Bainesy.

I noticed he had gone but not sure where until you said.

Shame for the club as he'd clearly done very well for us. But i guess that's the nature of success - if they do such a good job for you someone else will inevitably come calling.

Magennis + Keane has looked fairly blunt in the opening couple of games (and plenty of times last season). Keane wants to get the ball down and play it around but that isn't Magennis' game, and so we can look quite laboured getting us up the field with a good cross or delivery for them to attack.

Magennis isn't mobile or dynamic enough to play a loan isolated role, but with Keane playing as a number 10 he isn't always available to run on past him and drive through the middle.

Magennis looked most effective with Humphrys alongside him, where Humphrys is there for the knock downs and flick ons and both are physical enough to cause CBs a real problem. If Lang comes inside then it leaves Darikwa without a forward option (and even when a forward option is available we know that Darikwa will likely check back or wait for Power to come out to the right to provide a delivery).

However, if we take Keane out so we can play with 2 strikers like Magennis/Wyke and Broadhead/Humphrys then we lose all the good stuff that Keane brings as a 10, and I don't think Naylor and Power are good enough to play as a central 2 and provide that support further up the pitch, so it feels that having Keane in the hole is essential and the question will be who is best to play alongside him. None of our strikers are true "back to the defender" target men who want to dominate strikers, they are physical and capable in the air but they are all finishers who want to be in the box when the ball comes in - Humphrys offers something different in his ability to drive with the ball, and Broadhead is a very rounded striker and finisher.

We have uncertainty about when Wyke will come back, and I think Wyke can be seen seen good upgrade on Magennis but it still doesn't fix our problem of how we score goals against better defenders and teams where we'll have less of the ball than we did last season.

So while I like the Broadhead signing, he doesn't immediately seem to fix our shortcomings, and we now have 6 strikers which will be quite difficult to manage given LR has shown that he doesn't share minutes around and tends to be fairly conservative in his selections and substitutions. Broadhead will have come here with some level of assurance that he'll get playing time, so maybe we're going to see a more dramatic shift in our set-up and play... an additional CB coming in and reverting to 352 maybe? Lang dropping out and us playing with two out and out strikers?

I'm very pleased with Broadhead, i think he's going to be a player than could heavily shape our season if we can use him correctly and keep him fit.

Like most players we are going to get there is always going to be some type of issue with them that put other clubs off, in this instance his injury record. But it was the same with Keane and Whatmough before they arrived and a bit further back Powell and we managed to get so much out of them. So fingers crossed our medical staff will be able to work similar wonders with Broadhead. Definitely worth the gamble for me.

If we drop Broadhead into our current 4-2-3-1 with lots of long balls he will struggle, but surely we wouldn't bother signing him if that was the plan. So hopefully it's an indication we will use him in a striker partnership feeding off flick on's and knock downs from a target man and looking to exploit his pace and movement with more through balls. He's completely different to what we have and i think he will add a much needed dose of pace, flair and dynamism to our battlers.

I wish we'd have been able to sign him permanently though as i think if it goes well Everton will recall and sell in January for a fee that will be beyond us. But If that happens it will at least mean he'd have done very well for us.

Link below to a article about what he's like:

Nathan Broadhead – Welcome to Wigan Athletic – Talking Wigan

Two points
1 Maybe we have already agreed a fee with Everton to make it permanent, subject to fitness.

2 Leam is a dour manager tactics wise, and maybe he won't change formation and the lad will struggle (hopefully not )

Magennis + Keane has looked fairly blunt in the opening couple of games (and plenty of times last season). Keane wants to get the ball down and play it around but that isn't Magennis' game, and so we can look quite laboured getting us up the field with a good cross or delivery for them to attack.

Magennis isn't mobile or dynamic enough to play a loan isolated role, but with Keane playing as a number 10 he isn't always available to run on past him and drive through the middle.

Magennis looked most effective with Humphrys alongside him, where Humphrys is there for the knock downs and flick ons and both are physical enough to cause CBs a real problem. If Lang comes inside then it leaves Darikwa without a forward option (and even when a forward option is available we know that Darikwa will likely check back or wait for Power to come out to the right to provide a delivery).

However, if we take Keane out so we can play with 2 strikers like Magennis/Wyke and Broadhead/Humphrys then we lose all the good stuff that Keane brings as a 10, and I don't think Naylor and Power are good enough to play as a central 2 and provide that support further up the pitch, so it feels that having Keane in the hole is essential and the question will be who is best to play alongside him. None of our strikers are true "back to the defender" target men who want to dominate strikers, they are physical and capable in the air but they are all finishers who want to be in the box when the ball comes in - Humphrys offers something different in his ability to drive with the ball, and Broadhead is a very rounded striker and finisher.

We have uncertainty about when Wyke will come back, and I think Wyke can be seen seen good upgrade on Magennis but it still doesn't fix our problem of how we score goals against better defenders and teams where we'll have less of the ball than we did last season.

So while I like the Broadhead signing, he doesn't immediately seem to fix our shortcomings, and we now have 6 strikers which will be quite difficult to manage given LR has shown that he doesn't share minutes around and tends to be fairly conservative in his selections and substitutions. Broadhead will have come here with some level of assurance that he'll get playing time, so maybe we're going to see a more dramatic shift in our set-up and play... an additional CB coming in and reverting to 352 maybe? Lang dropping out and us playing with two out and out strikers?

I can't see Broadhead fit into our 4-2-3-1 the way we play it unless we drop Keane and i can't see that happening - maybe you could push McClean to left back and play him on the left wing - but i don't think that will get the best out of him. I think it'll eventually be wing backs with Naylor and Power in central mid and a target man. Then it's a case of if we play 2 attacking mids behind the striker or a strike partner and a no10 behind.

I think if everyone is fit i think it could be Wyke up front with Broadhead and Keane as no.10. That obviously leaves no space for Lang - but form, injuries and options mean he could end up taking Broadhead or Keane's place as strike partner or no10. I also think there is a chance that Lang ends up occasionally at wing back if we are chasing games like we saw occasionally last season.

It wouldn't shock me if Broadhead's arrival see's the departure of Humphrys, but i think if we plan to change formation Humphrys will be a good option to play up front in a pair.

If he’s keeps fit. Be a good signing. But the fitness side is a big worry. We always seem to be looking at ex Sunderland players.

Joe Hinnigan, David Connolly, Graham Kavanagh, Pascal Chimbonda, lee Cattermole, Jordi Gomez, Titus Bramble, Patrick Van Aanholt, Callum McManaman, Will Grigg, Rees James, Max Power, quite a bit of money spent buying some of those, they even paid over 3 million transfer/compensation fee to us for manager Steve Bruce.

I think there are going to be difficult decisions for Leam to have to make as to how we squeeze players in, however it is better to have those difficult decisions than for the team to pick itself.

I think there are going to be difficult decisions for Leam to have to make as to how we squeeze players in, however it is better to have those difficult decisions than for the team to pick itself.

As long as he squeezes Darikwa out, I'll be happy :yes: :LOL::LOL:

Sunderland fans are a bitter twisted big time Charlie lot as shown last season over Max and Charlie it is even more on their board over Broadhead, like a lover scorned, now the manager Neil has had his say, he is another bitter twot.

Last edited:
Broadhead is a good signing as he provides a point of difference in attack. Evans would have been more of the same and we don’t need that. Still work to be done strengthening the squad. It’s been slow so far but both signings seem like they can improve the first eleven.

Every manager tries to improve on what they have, this seems to prove that theory, the club and LR have said it all along we have a decent nucleus, a decent midfielder and center back with a couple of younger 'risks' will see us competing for a mid table berth this season.

I can't see Broadhead fit into our 4-2-3-1 the way we play it unless we drop Keane and i can't see that happening - maybe you could push McClean to left back and play him on the left wing - but i don't think that will get the best out of him. I think it'll eventually be wing backs with Naylor and Power in central mid and a target man. Then it's a case of if we play 2 attacking mids behind the striker or a strike partner and a no10 behind.

I think if everyone is fit i think it could be Wyke up front with Broadhead and Keane as no.10. That obviously leaves no space for Lang - but form, injuries and options mean he could end up taking Broadhead or Keane's place as strike partner or no10. I also think there is a chance that Lang ends up occasionally at wing back if we are chasing games like we saw occasionally last season.

It wouldn't shock me if Broadhead's arrival see's the departure of Humphrys, but i think if we plan to change formation Humphrys will be a good option to play up front in a pair.
yeah completely agree, it comes down to the formation as whether Humphrys is surplus to requirements, or a key part up front!