Summer transfer thread | Page 62 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

To be fair HWF, none of us really know what actions have been taken so far on the transfer/loan front. I think we're assuming that we must have had some targets, and seem therefore to have missed out on them, but we don't really know.

North End were one place off the top half last season, and according to some on here seem to have improved their stock since then ... so we shouldn't assume anything other than a really tough game tomorrow ... one that we're unlikely to win.

That said, we don't know. A solid team, with a good spirit, playing in an established, organised style, confidence still high from last season's success won't be an easy challenge for North End, ... so long as the fans don't write us off at the first hint of any problem.

My concern is with other teams' spend because it threatens our chances of survival in the Championship, the long-stated aim of the ownership group. Did I say we should be tabling the same kind of big money bids ourselves? No.

I have never advocated for a 'fiscal policy' that would threaten the club's existence. In fact I have been one of the most vocally concerned over the club's finances over the late wages saga and the spend in League One last season, and was dismissed by a few people on here - including you - because of it.

You were angry then because I was concerned about us potentially spent too much, and now you're angry because you think I'm concerned about the club spending too little. If you're going to criticise my opinions at least be consistent about it.

At least you didn't accuse me of talking crap this time - learned your lesson from last time on that front...

No I was being slightly more polite, but seeing you brought it up, I still think you are "talking crap".

That said, we don't know. A solid team, with a good spirit, playing in an established, organised style, confidence still high from last season's success won't be an easy challenge for North End, ... so long as the fans don't write us off at the first hint of any problem.

My god moonay what have you been watching and reading over all these years, writing us off is what Wiganers do.

My god moonay what have you been watching and reading over all these years, writing us off is what Wiganers do.
Oh aye ..... here's my contribution to this week's 12th Man (just out), but with some actual formatting !!!

“Reasons to be cheerful”, that was Ian Drury’s song.
But lots of Tics fans struggled there,
well, “cheerful” just sounds wrong!
Reasons to be miserable
seem much more on the ball.
Why bother being cheerful when there’s lots of stuff to call?
Selections, line-up, tactics too,
they all came in for stick.
And as for t’ style o’ football,
“well, that hoofball’s takin’ t’ mick”.
“Th’ owner’s skint, he’s no brass left,
and Talal, he’s just a puppet”;
So say th’ intelligentsia,
aka the twitter muppets.
T’ North End’s first up Sat’day,
it’s the calm before the storm.
Just imagine the kerfuffle
if t’ performance is lukewarm.
Nah, reasons to be hopeful
is what most of us are after,
A pint or two, a chat wi’ mates
and a bit o’ good old laughter.
And reasons to be optimistic,
well that’d do just fine.
But owt less than a 3 baht win,
is bound to make some whine.
So reasons to be cheerful a
re a step too far it’d seem.
By heck, some miserable beggars
come to watch this Latics team.

12th Man's here:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...ignings-or-else-were-doomed-i-tell-ya-3787458

Club has confirmed three U21 trialists have signed:
Ethan Mitchell (19, defender formerly of Plymouth
Abdi Sharif (20, midfielder formerly of Liverpool)
Joe Rodwell-Grant (19, striker formerly of Preston)

Plus Matt Wonnacott (17, goalkeeper from Torquay) which we knew about earlier in the summer but hadn't previously hadn't been confirmed.

Sharif and Rodwell Grant seemed to impress and score a few from the reports i read in their preseason games for us.

Club has confirmed three U21 trialists have signed:
Ethan Mitchell (19, defender formerly of Plymouth
Abdi Sharif (20, midfielder formerly of Liverpool)
Joe Rodwell-Grant (19, striker formerly of Preston)

Plus Matt Wonnacott (17, goalkeeper from Torquay) which we knew about earlier in the summer but hadn't previously hadn't been confirmed.

Sharif and Rodwell Grant seemed to impress and score a few from the reports i read in their preseason games for us.

Erm ... that's been posted on the "Is this all we're getting" thread KDZ.

(y)

;)

Oh aye ..... here's my contribution to this week's 12th Man (just out), but with some actual formatting !!!

Reasons to be miserable
aka the twitter muppets.

12th Man's here:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...ignings-or-else-were-doomed-i-tell-ya-3787458

You forgot the colour scheme or price of a beer in the new Whelans bar, but you have pretty much nailed it there and shown you have been paying attention over the years.

Reasons to be miserable
aka the twitter muppets.

12th Man's here:

Sorry Moonay, I didn't see this link before I posted on the other "on topic" thread.;)

No matter what league you play football in. When you go up to the next league. You need better players than the season before. We don’t need a new team but we need players. And any one who doesn’t think so knows nothing about football. Think we are waiting to use the loan market. As we clearly are not spending any money. But there are good loan players about as Blackpool showed us last year. Guarantee the end of the mth our line up will be different than the one that starts tomorrow
As Blackpool and those lot tomorrow showed us.

How do you know he is?

I take it from his recent interviews that he is happy to go into the new season with the squad he has. He has never said anything in those interviews to make me think he is not happy with the situation.

Please enlighten us as to what he has said that makes you think he is concerned, or as usual, are you simply placing your concerns on other people and quoting it as fact.
I don't, I was just calling you out for pitiful attempt at mind-reading.

Krystian Bielik on-loan from Derby is a good signing by Birmingham. Had injury problems but was consistently one of Derby's better players in the Championship (when he did play).

Didn't know he was available for loan but maybe there's a couple more players there agitating for a Championship move - I know Byrne wants out but with Nyambe coming in that seems an unlikely one.

Someone on Twitter saying we were talking to Fossey but only offered a 1 year day and he turned it down.

No idea if it's true but after Nyambe only signed initial 1 year and chairman was posting Statue of Liberty / USA emoji's it did seem like we thought he was coming in, so sounds plausible.

Maybe this initial 1 year deal thing is our approach to all deals and would maybe explain why we have had issues getting new players in.

In fairness. I went to the talk after the Plymouth game. Where we drew 1-1

In that. Mal said that whilst it's not official yet, we can basically say we're promoted. Got a couple of sideways glances from the other directors on stage like.

And Leam said about 30 times, to Talal, that he needed more players.

It was also announced at that talk that Leam had won manager of the year.

So, yes, Leam does want more signings. But it’s quite obvious that his hands are tied. He has been restricted in the transfer market.

It is what it is. Just need to put the faith in these lads. And hope we don’t get relegated.

Someone on Twitter saying we were talking to Fossey but only offered a 1 year day and he turned it down.

No idea if it's true but after Nyambe only signed initial 1 year and chairman was posting Statue of Liberty / USA emoji's it did seem like we thought he was coming in, so sounds plausible.

Maybe this initial 1 year deal thing is our approach to all deals and would maybe explain why we have had issues getting new players in.
That's the way rumours start mate.

2+2=5,. 5+5=12, 12+12=30 ... instead of 16 !