Summer transfer thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

The bulk of our squad all signed on a two year deal. It wouldn’t surprise me if we have signed them all, with a clause that allows us to trigger a one year extension. Much like Derby have done with Byrne.

However, I would like to see the likes of Whatmough (aged 25 and Championship quality) offered a new 3 year deal. Would worry me that he is entering the last year of his contract and could leave for nothing (unless we have the 1 year extension clause in his contract, as mentioned)

We have space in our squad with the exit of Bayliss, Massey and Rae. Plus the likely departure of Jones.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Edwards sold this season either.

Make no mistake, players are likely to be sold to make room for more proven championship players. Like most here. I’m expecting maybe 3 permanent signings of proven championship players, plus two loans, which would replace the players leaving the club this season (if Jones and Edwards leaves)

In my opinion, 8 or 9 of our first team players are ready for the step up (including Thelo) so, no whole changes to the squad is needed, like we saw in the past with Caldwell and Cook’s teams

I really hope that we see several of our youth players go out in loan this season. L1 or L2, and follow the pathway of Lang, where he build up a few years of experience and was ready for our 1st team.

Last edited:
The bulk of our squad all signed on a two year deal. It wouldn’t surprise me if we have signed them all, with a clause that allows us to trigger a one year extension. Much like Derby have done with Byrne.

However, I would like to see the likes of Whatmough (aged 25 and Championship quality) offered a new 3 year deal. Would worry me that he is entering the last year of his contract and could leave for nothing (unless we have the 1 year extension clause in his contract, as mentioned)

We have space in our squad with the exit of Bayliss, Massey and Rae. Plus the likely departure of Jones.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Edwards sold this season either.

Make no mistake, players are likely to be sold to make room for more proven championship players. Like most here. I’m expecting maybe 3 permanent signings of proven championship players, plus two loans, which would replace the players leaving the club this season (if Jones and Edwards leaves)

In my opinion, 8 or 9 of our first team players are ready for the step up (including Thelo) so, no whole changes to the squad is needed, like we saw in the past with Caldwell and Cook’s teams

I really hope that we see several of our youth players go out in loan this season. L1 or L2, and follow the pathway of Lang, where he build up a few years of experience and was ready for our 1st team.

I think every player who signs a 2 year deal at any club now has the third year clause in there - it seems the standard now. So we probably wont have to worry about offering new contracts just yet.

We don't know for sure if any of our players will step up yet, as so many players look too good for L1 but can't cut it in the Championship. I imagine we'll not be looking to extend any contracts this summer, but if we get into the new season and some players have a solid start potentially start to think about it then.

It wouldn't suprise me if we sold Humphrys, i hope we don't as i think he should be playing every week, but looking at how often he was dropped despite playing well i don't think Richardson seems concinved on him.

All of us at some time think so-and-so should or shouldn't be playing, who to buy and who to sell, what formation to play and when to change it....it's what supporters do. The one ultimately with the decisions is the manager and his staff who in the end , if they get it wrong, will pay with their job...unlike any of us. Im willing to put my faith in him because let's face it, he's not got a lot wrong upto now.

Bolton have pulled out of race to sign right wing back Marlon Fossey due to at least 2 Championship clubs putting offers on the table. Local press speculating that it could be us and a midlands based Championship club. Preston were linked but seemed to have moved onto Cyrus Christie.

Fossey looked very impressive last season on loan at Bolton last season getting 1 goal and 5 assists in 15 games from RWB - quick, strong, good dribbler, good crosser and very attack minded. Seems exactly what we need down the right side.

But he's coming up to 24, only played just over 20 senior games and had a few injuries - so arguably a bit of a gamble.

Bolton had already agreed a deal in pirnciple with his parent club Fulham when he initially went on loan it doesn't sound like the deal is particulary expensive.

Bolton have pulled out of race to sign right wing back Marlon Fossey due to at least 2 Championship clubs putting offers on the table. Local press speculating that it could be us and a midlands based Championship club. Preston were linked but seemed to have moved onto Cyrus Christie.

Fossey looked very impressive last season on loan at Bolton last season getting 1 goal and 5 assists in 15 games from RWB - quick, strong, good dribbler, good crosser and very attack minded. Seems exactly what we need down the right side.

But he's coming up to 24, only played just over 20 senior games and had a few injuries - so arguably a bit of a gamble.

Bolton had already agreed a deal in pirnciple with his parent club Fulham when he initially went on loan it doesn't sound like the deal is particulary expensive.
Looked very good every time I saw him last season.Yes from me 👍

Who plays poor football?
Football like we played in The Championship under Cook the majority of the time could be described as poor.
The huge majority of football we played under Martinez could be described as poor.
Many of our home performances against top half clubs last season could be described as poor.
By poor I don't mean ineffective but football lacking in entertainment, boring and turgid.

If a right-back has an offer from us and another Championship club, I'd imagine that unless we're paying far superior wages, he'd choose the other club once they've checked what position our undroppable club captain plays...

Football like we played in The Championship under Cook the majority of the time could be described as poor.
The huge majority of football we played under Martinez could be described as poor.
Many of our home performances against top half clubs last season could be described as poor.
By poor I don't mean ineffective but football lacking in entertainment, boring and turgid.

Serious question and not on the wind up but what would your priorities be, a winning side or one that entertains but loses ?

I noticed Power reccently took a picture of himself training with Sunderland right wing back Lyndon Gooch who has yet to renew his contract at Sunderland.

It could easily be nothing - just 2 friends and former team mates keeping fit. But it wouldn't shock me if we have any interest if Power's trying to sell the club to him like he did with Wyke.

I noticed Power reccently took a picture of himself training with Sunderland right wing back Lyndon Gooch who has yet to renew his contract at Sunderland.

It could easily be nothing - just 2 friends and former team mates keeping fit. But it wouldn't shock me if we have any interest if Power's trying to sell the club to him like he did with Wyke.

I think they were both in Dubai on holiday and having a session with a few mates

Serious question and not on the wind up but what would your priorities be, a winning side or one that entertains but loses ?
A winning side that entertains like Martinez showed us at times his sides could do. Like Cooks sides could do in the Championship when it was backs to the wall.
Preferably if possible the entertaining and winning that Jewell's sides did in League one and the championship and at times in the greed League.

Swansea and Preston are supposedly monitoring him.

Fans on the Sunderland board seem to have a mixed opinion of him. Some say he really grew (as the side did) under Alex Neil and believe he did enough to earn a new contract. Others say he's far too inconsistent and would easily get dropped playing in a higher division.