Summer transfer thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Agree with a lot of this KDZ

Here is the Express and Star piece on Ruddy and wanting first team games

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...per-john-ruddy-keen-for-regular-playing-time/

Great shout with Smithies, as you said tonnes of Championship experience, regular last 4 to 5 seasons at Championship level and available on a free. Id take him as an upgrade on Amos.

Probably will meaning having to let Jamie Jones go if we bring in a new keeper but truth be told given Jones' age, he may want to play regular first team football. Fleetwood or Morecambe would be good destinations for him as North West based and would give him first team football he would want. No to mention we have Tickle who is coming up through U18s and U23s who would be cheaper to have around as a 3rd keeper than Jones.

Shifting Massey and Jordan Jones would be handy if we could do it. Massey is on 8k a week reportedly and thats too much to justify keeping him when he wont get too much football and should be able to get himself a League One club where he can start every week.

What we do with our young players will be key. Robinson is out of contract but id like to keep him and then send him out on loan to a club at bottom end of League One/top of League Two so he can play more regularly. Id also consider loans out for likes of Long and Sze as well. Maybe a few others. They need senior experience under their belt as we cant judge them off U23s games. Look at Lang's loan moves to Oldham, Morecambe and Motherwell as an example

Massey is out of contract so surely he has gone. Jones I suspect will end up out on loan again, even if we have to pay some of his wages it looks like Richardson has no interest in using him and Jones was unhappy here.

Robinson and Long both have potential but if they could barely get a league appearance between them in L1 it's hard to see them breaking through at a higher level. Both are at the stage they need to be playing first team games if they want to develop so I'm not sure if their future will be with us. In an ideal world they'd have been out on loan playing every week in L1 or L2 last season but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Morsy demanded a move, he hadn't suffered a reduction in his wages he just saw an opportunity to get more money elsewhere, it was the same for some of the squad but certainly not "the rest", some were told they were leaving by the administrators, Morsy wasn't one of them.

I heard something very similar and a couple of other bits that didn't cover him in glory during admin.

The left and right CB getting involved in the play will be very important in the coming season but I don't think we've got that currently.

I'd argue Kerr did exactly that ... though granted, less so with Watts and Tilt on the left. Maybe Kerr needs to improve, but he showed he has the fundamentals for that type of role.

I'd argue Kerr did exactly that ... though granted, less so with Watts and Tilt on the left. Maybe Kerr needs to improve, but he showed he has the fundamentals for that type of role.

The one thing our centre backs dont have is any pace

I thought that supporting the attacks was what KDZ was talking about ... not necessarily having pace specifically.

I agree though, they don't ... but arguably Whatmough at least doesn't suffer much because of it due to his excellent positional sense and reading of the game.

Two of our finest centre halfs didnt have much oace but de Zeeuw and Alcaraz had such excellent positional awareness, so many centre backs can play to late 30s and still be very good. It is different for attackers, unless you have a Gomez type midfielder producing defence splitting passes then pace is important.

Two of our finest centre halfs didnt have much oace but de Zeeuw and Alcaraz had such excellent positional awareness, so many centre backs can play to late 30s and still be very good. It is different for attackers, unless you have a Gomez type midfielder producing defence splitting passes then pace is important.

Agreed - I'd also add Peter Atherton to that list too

Away from Latics & from a different era but I've also heard that the bloke who many consider England's finest ever centre half (Bobby Moore) wasn't blessed with pace either

See we have signed a young keeper from Torquay probably for the U23s. Maybe a sign that Sam Tickle will be getting a loan move somewhere for the season?

See we have signed a young keeper from Torquay probably for the U23s. Maybe a sign that Sam Tickle will be getting a loan move somewhere for the season?

Correct me if I'm wrong but we where after a young keeper from Torquay a couple of years back. Same one? :hmmm:

Can't remember the lads name.

Forgot our slowest, but one of our best, Stephane Henchoz. Turned like the QE2

Maybe on this forum BUT he was missed and this was reflected in a dip in our performances at the end.

Although correct you are wasting your time. Once some folk have made their mind up regarding a given player no amount of evidence can change that. It's so short sighted but the need to be proven right supercedes any kind of evidence to the contrary. Even I praised Massey when he had a good game but hey ho...once a mind is made up, that's it.

In league one. Tilt was very good at winning a free kick when he had lost the ball and got away with it Wont get away with that in the championship. For one better refs. Two better players but we will soon find out

He was very good at winning free kicks but never when he lost the ball more to get us out a tricky situation. Think you'll be better off in the West stand mate as the sun must have been getting in yer eyes over here.