Summer transfer thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Can't see it Enfield, personally don't see anymore potential improvement in him whatsoever. Just my opinion. 🤔
With the right guidance I think he can be turned into a very good player.

James Beattie is clearly a very good attacking coach as shown by the development of Lang and Keane over the past couple of years. Stevie has great physical attributes and is a good finisher, I think the only thing he’s lacking is the more ‘mental’ side of the game that Keane excels at I.e. decision making, positioning etc. I think this is naturally something that comes with experience - most strikers only hit their peak mid to late twenties.

I think it would be very rash of us to get rid - Toney is a prime example of how much players can develop in their early to mid twenties

Agree with your assessment MIW, but when we've lost 2 or 3 on the trot I can see some on here panicking, calling for LR to be sacked & so on.

Its the Championship so we’re gonna lose two or three on the trot. Klopp drew with Spurs at the weekend and heard someone on a phone in suggesting his time was up. Ridiculous really.

They called for both Caldwell and Cook to be sacked while we were in League 1 ... both managers went on to take the title. They then called for Cook to be sacked in the Championship ... second time, we'd finished nearly a dozen points above the relegation zone.

No doubt, the players who we bring in will get written off as not good enough ... it's the life cycle of being a football fan in a different division, that's all.

I think Cook was fortunate to keep his job at one point during that second season as it appeared he’d run his race given results, manner of conceding and his bizarre interviews. Proved us. or most of us wrong in the end. Sad to see him floundering around getting grief in non league.

I think Cook was fortunate to keep his job at one point during that second season as it appeared he’d run his race given results, manner of conceding and his bizarre interviews. Proved us. or most of us wrong in the end. Sad to see him floundering around getting grief in non league.

After going to watch the team play at Luton ... and lose.
Demoralising for supporters and most probably thought he would be given the heave ho.
However, going to Leeds and watching that match made up for it.
Luck or managerial talent to survive?

On a side note, do we have a sizeable recruitment team any more ... after those admins cut cut cut?

Last edited:
Demoralising for supporters and most probably thought he would be given the heave ho.

On a side note, do we have a sizeable recruitment team any more ... after those admins cut cut cut?

Perhaps his results since suggest more luck than talent. That said he lost his other half who has flourished so who knows.

Not sure on the recruitment size but isn’t Gottman in charge of that department and he uses some form of analytics to decide on suitability.

We’ve had new owners, board etc for a year. In that time they’ve had to assemble virtually a whole new squad. We won the league, so I think it’s fair to say by any assessment they got the decision making on recruitment, on the whole, spot on. Of course investment is needed in some areas as we’ve moved up a level, but I see no reason to panic or not to have any trust in them given their track record to date.

There’s probably one or two that will move on so we can refresh the squad, such as Massey who I think his time is up and we won’t look to renew his contract (and should go with our thanks and best wishes). Magennis i’d move on if we can get any takers and I guess the coaching staff will determine if Bennett given his injury problems and age is worthy of another championship contract. As for Humphries, I see a lot in him and certainly wouldn’t be letting him in go.

Think you're right about our owners and more to the point, the team around us. I think we're lucky that while Talal and Mr Al Jasmi will know very little about the Championship, the team they've bought in seem to have good football knowledge.

While it's all been an amazing 12 months, I'm sure they're realistic to know that next season will be a hugely different challenge and be aware that there'll be some tough times. Hopefully that will mean that they'll allow Leam to spend sensibly and give him time to grow into a better manager and give him that support in times when it's not going swimmingly. Next season should be about survival and then looking to build the club on and off the field

Think you're right about our owners and more to the point, the team around us. I think we're lucky that while Talal and Mr Al Jasmi will know very little about the Championship, the team they've bought in seem to have good football knowledge.

While it's all been an amazing 12 months, I'm sure they're realistic to know that next season will be a hugely different challenge and be aware that there'll be some tough times. Hopefully that will mean that they'll allow Leam to spend sensibly and give him time to grow into a better manager and give him that support in times when it's not going swimmingly. Next season should be about survival and then looking to build the club on and off the field
May not be all that bad . Don't remember Huddersfield or Luton spending lots and thay may be in the prem next season up the tics 👍

That was the game he thought his time was up. Do you remember he hid from the fans after full time to avoid being anywhere near the away end so he wouldn’t get abuse

Perhaps his results since suggest more luck than talent. That said he lost his other half who has flourished so who knows.

Not sure on the recruitment size but isn’t Gottman in charge of that department and he uses some form of analytics to decide on suitability.
I think the analytics side of things will be crucial next season to give us an edge over some of our less fancied rivals. If we pick up three or so diamonds for little outlay and invest wisely in the experience like we did this year we could surprise a few next season

Last edited:

Thought it was the other guy from Liverpool who was the analytics guru

David McGoldrick released by Sheffield United. Worth a punt on a 12 month deal or too similar to Magennis? Loads of championship experience and might suit our style of play.

Rothwell: Bigger, better and richer clubs are after him.

Smith: We've already got one ageing right-back, I'd rather us get someone young and dynamic in that position, as it's those sort of players who have shone for us previously at full/wing-back (James, Robinson etc). Especially if we're planning to play three CBs.

Celina: Did very little at Ipswich, luxury player who probably wouldn't work hard enough to play in a Richardson side.

Hernandez: Out of our price range, you'd also imagine that Norwich might want to use him next season considering his pedigree.

Austin: Past it and not worth the wages he'd command.

Fair observations on all five players there, just thought i would throw a few names into the mix for discussion.

As for the right back/right wingback, ideally i would like a younger player in that position too, however, the one i really think we could have genuinely targeted, Kane Wilson at Forest Green Rovers is reportedly on the verge of signing for Bristol City. Suspect they could offer very good financial terms and they are an established Championship team so that probably meant it was always going to be difficult for us. I think a number of Championship clubs were in for him as well.

At 30, i dont think Smith is too bad a shout for us as a signing. He has been a regular for Stoke these last 3 seasons, played a bit for Huddersfield in the Premier League and was a regular during Huddersfield's Championship campaign when they won promotion to the Premier League. Even if he isnt the youngest, he is imo based on level he has played at a substantial upgrade on Darikwa.

Even if Smith was to only give us a couple of seasons, id take it tbh. Right back is probably most urgent of our positions we need to strengthen. Darikwa overall has done well for us but you could tell second half of last season he looks shaky and mistakes were creeping into his game. He will be exposed next season at Championship level by better quality attackers.

100% we should be targeting Kipre as a central defender. I think Kerr and Tilt can be kept as solid back ups (play either of them regularly whenever we play a back three. However, Whatmough needs a good quality partner in the centre of defence and Kipre has done it for us before at Championship level.

Striker looks a real challenging one. I saw Sheff Utd released Luke Freeman, David McGoldrick and Lys Mousset yesterday. McGoldrick's age probably rules him out of contention. Id be intrigued at taking a look at Mousset though, maybe on trial.

I was also thinking of maybe approaching Man City and enquiring about taking Liam Delap on loan for the season. However, i saw recently that Southampton are looking to take him on loan for next season and you would suspect that all the relegated PL clubs who will be top end of Championship next season will also enquire about him. So might be out of our range.

Id enquire to Man City about a loan for Gavin Bazunu though. Everton are being linked with him but i dont see point in him going there to permanently sit on the bench behind Pickford. I suspect City will want to loan Bazunu out to a Championship club to monitor him after his good displays at Portsmouth this season in League One.

That said, i think we would face competition from a number of Championship clubs, Middlesbrough are reportedly looking to move on from their current keepers and Preston have a vacancy given Daniel Iversen has gone back to Leicester to challenge Schmiechel for the number one jersey. Again too with Preston and Boro, both are established Championship sides so might be ahead of us in the queue for a potential move for Bazunu.

Its tricky for clubs like ourselves, Rotherham, Peterbrough who tend to bounce between Championship and League One in last 7 to 8 years. You cant really target the free agents released by clubs at the top end of the Championship as they are likely above your salary ceiling. There are some decent players let go by clubs in mid table of the league, but you are always weary of why those clubs have let them go (injuries) and there are some good free agents from clubs in League One but you are weary of whether a decent chunk of them can make the big step up to Championship level. It leaves us atm a little squeezed lets say.

David McGoldrick released by Sheffield United. Worth a punt on a 12 month deal or too similar to Magennis? Loads of championship experience and might suit our style of play.

Probably similar to MacGennis and also age might be an issue with McGoldrick. I could if they get their takeover sorted see McGoldrick going to Derby. I reckon at League One he would be a good signing but probably might be struggling in Championship these days.

Id take Lys Mousset on trial from Blades though. Not played a lot for either them or Bournemouth when both were in the Premier League and again not a lot at top end of Championship for Blades this season but he is only mid 20s and taking him on trial initially is nothing lost given he has been released. There might be a lower level Championship striker there

Nixon says we want to re-sign Sam Morsy and that Leam will be given 'cash to strengthen'.

Morsy I would take back, he knows the club and is clearly an upgrade, and he knows how to play in the championship too, people may say no, but to me it just seems logical, and I feel some ex players will return for some unfinished business. Byrne the other.

Morsy is a Championship player for sure, he's been a key player for Ipswich but he is also coming up to 31 and he apparently cost 2 mill a year ago.

So I think it's one of those where unless Morsy tries to force his way out I'm not sure if we will be willing to pay the type of fee Ipswich would be looking for. But I wouldn't at all put it past him and his agent trying to push a move through to get back closer to home and in the Championship - this story leaking might even be part of that.

I think he's still got a few years left in him but there's no resale value, so I'd take him back if the finances were right for us but I wouldn't push the boat out too far. If the deal is too rich then look at younger alternatives. I'd prefer Luongo from Sheff Wed if we could get him - basically a younger and better version of Morsy and on a free.

Another link this morning is Alex Gorrin, 28, def mid from Oxford on a free. I think he's been good in L1 for them over the years but been injured much of this season. Not sure if that one sounds right to be honest.

Morsy is a Championship player for sure, he's been a key player for Ipswich but he is also coming up to 31 and he apparently cost 2 mill a year ago.

So I think it's one of those where unless Morsy tries to force his way out I'm not sure if we will be willing to pay the type of fee Ipswich would be looking for. But I wouldn't at all put it past him and his agent trying to push a move through to get back closer to home and in the Championship - this story leaking might even be part of that.

I think he's still got a few years left in him but there's no resale value, so I'd take him back if the finances were right for us but I wouldn't push the boat out too far. If the deal is too rich then look at younger alternatives. I'd prefer Luongo from Sheff Wed if we could get him - basically a younger and better version of Morsy and on a free.

Another link this morning is Alex Gorrin, 28, def mid from Oxford on a free. I think he's been good in L1 for them over the years but been injured much of this season. Not sure if that one sounds right to be honest.

Agree with this KingDeZeeuw. Id be open to the idea of Morsy coming back but not at any price. I have a feeling with McKenna about to have a full pre season behind him as Ipswich manager that theyb will be a good bet for auto promotion next season (if Sunderland go up that helps them even more).

Based on this, i cant see them letting Morsy go unless a big transfer offer came in. Then we have to factor into account wages too. Ipswich i heard had the highest budget in League One last season and they were the pre-season promotion favourites. So you would imagine Morsy is earning good money down at Ipswich especially if he has dropped down a division from Middlesbrough.

Again, im open to the idea of bringing Morsy back but im weary of breaking a wage structure and im also weary of Morsy's age (31). The transfer could get very pricey when you factor into account the whole package of wages and transfer fee.

If the transfer fee is reasonable id take Morsy back but not for anything like the fee Ipswich paid Boro for him.

Like the suggestions of Gorrin and Luongo also Will Vaulks might be worth a shout too. As i mentioned on an earlier post, Paul Warne seemed to rule out a move for Vaulks to sign him back for Rotherham. Cardiff have reportedly released him and he has 3 to 4 years Championship experience behind him.

Agree with this KingDeZeeuw. Id be open to the idea of Morsy coming back but not at any price. I have a feeling with McKenna about to have a full pre season behind him as Ipswich manager that theyb will be a good bet for auto promotion next season (if Sunderland go up that helps them even more).

Based on this, i cant see them letting Morsy go unless a big transfer offer came in. Then we have to factor into account wages too. Ipswich i heard had the highest budget in League One last season and they were the pre-season promotion favourites. So you would imagine Morsy is earning good money down at Ipswich especially if he has dropped down a division from Middlesbrough.

Again, im open to the idea of bringing Morsy back but im weary of breaking a wage structure and im also weary of Morsy's age (31). The transfer could get very pricey when you factor into account the whole package of wages and transfer fee.

If the transfer fee is reasonable id take Morsy back but not for anything like the fee Ipswich paid Boro for him.

Like the suggestions of Gorrin and Luongo also Will Vaulks might be worth a shout too. As i mentioned on an earlier post, Paul Warne seemed to rule out a move for Vaulks to sign him back for Rotherham. Cardiff have reportedly released him and he has 3 to 4 years Championship experience behind him.

I like Vaulks also would bring a good delivery and long throw. We really would benefit from someone who is good at long throws as we love doing them but they never work.