Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 122 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

How do you know most of the best frees have gone, last season just before the Rangers friendly a young lad came in as a full back cover for Byrne, nobody knew of him even the management team where not fully aware of his potential until they say him train - that turned out ok.

I've looked at who is free and seen who has gone from the domestic free agents who are generally our safest bets and the market Kendrick says we are mostly shopping in.

James wasn't free he was loaned and he joined quite early in the summer he played all the friendlies prior to Rangers. As C Latics above suggested James had some acoldes to suggest we got their best kid, the current season equivalent gone to relegation rivals.

I wasn't worried until the last couple of weeks as we had just about enough time and still enough good lads sitting there to be picked up and it seemed like Lowe and Hugill looked likely to join. I look at the market now there is less choice and less time and we've struggled to get deals finalised for weeks. From what we've seen this summer I don't think we'll get in what we need now. We will likely sign some yet but getting the numbers and quality I think was always going to be tough and now much harder. We are going to have to gamble a lot more on players now.

Last edited:
For the money we're splurging on Hugill I've got a suggestion who we'd love, always puts a shift in, until he's ran his last sprint and can weigh in with goals at this level. Shinji Okazaki. I'd chuck the transfer money at him and pay his wages over Hugill!

Others on a free I'd look at - De Laet and Danny Simpson.

I will say this - we've got young talent at the club. We need to use it. Sick of players coming in, being given last 5 minutes and then never seen again.

Might just be that the players want to remain in London and are happy to make a loan move within the capital. One of the reason that we landed Reece James was that his sister had earned a contract with Manchester United.
Was told that attracting players to the north west can be difficult.

Time to move on from the whole Hugill episode imo. Can the deal to sign him and try get a loan for Nakhi Wells instead. His wages would deffo be less as Burnley do not pay high by PL standards. Then stump up the extra money for Lowe and get the deal done.

I agree its been a frustrating window for all clubs but us dill dallying around is ridiculous. Highlights no transfer plan or strategy at all.

Seeing as it seem's we're only willing to sign players from the uk, Alexander sorloth and Sam surridge might be available for loan. 6 foot 4 and 6 foot 3, Sorloth moved to Palace for 9mill, hasn't worked out. Only seen him play once last season against liverpool. Came on with around 30 minutes left, being 6 foot 4 with some pace and skill, one of those player's you tend to remember. Might be available cheap or loan. Went on loan to gent in January, played 19 games on the right wing.

Surridge seems to have some sort of fitness issue as he spends more time on the bench then playing. At 20 he scored 8 from 10 starts at Oldham last season before being recalled to sit on the bench for Bournemouth. Also only seen him the one time against Fulham in the cup. Again has decent pace for his build.

Can't go into this season with 1 striker, who isn't suited to Cook's play style. Need at the very least 5 players before the window shuts, this team currently doesn't have enough pace or power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its Steve Austin we need. Either of them.

Which of the Steve Austin's would be best for us ?... a part man part machine who could dash around at super sonic speed or someone to just clothes line the opposition as they are going past him ?... tricky.

And how times change...6m dollars would just about buy a 36 year old one legged centre half at today's prices.....PS..no disrespect to any 36 year old one legged centre halfs who might inadvertently stumble across any of this bullshit.

Might as well move
Summer Transfer Rumours
to the bin as same posters are regurgitating same stuff every day, some of you should apply for a job on the recrutment team. Dont you realise were not signing anyone

Yours
Totttaly pissed off

You have to consider the words in context of the full sentence. The key word in it was ‘around’ - which should tell you the sum talked about wasn’t meant to be definitive but similar to. That is the reality.

I very much doubt you do any research. You take on board what you are told as gospel without questioning it, be that in regards the club or the Labour Party. Your views and opinions just mirror what you’ve been fed.
We've had this discussion before.
When someone has a different opinion to yourself you patronise them and infer that your views and intellect are superior.
You post sentence started with "The reality is" these are the "key" words.
Anyway, as previously, I don't know why I bothered to comment as every time you just act as though your point of view is superior and make sarcastic comments about people.
End of discussion, I will try not to respond to you in future.

Things looking worrying now. Unfortunately it seems as though our two main targets, Lowe and Hugill, will not be joining the club. If I had to put an idea forward for a striker I'd say Laurent Depoitre at Huddersfield. 6ft 3 so suits the target man role, and can score goals as well. His wages won't be that high at Huddersfield, and he didn't feature that much last season. I think it's worth a try.

Victor mentioned Sorloth from Palace and Soccerates mentioned Martins from Southampton, both would be great moves on loan and offer different strengths - though in Sorloth's defence I think there's more to his game than his height...

Every time I log on I rush to this page with eager anticipation......I think I’ll stop bothering, it’s a complete waste of time!
I’m so disappointed with out lack of transfer business this window.....we were all so buoyed with a renewed optimism at the end of the season, having survived.....it was going to be the start of another WIGAN rise through the leagues funded by IEC.........well that optimism soon disappeared didn’t it.I fear we are in for one long hard season, avoiding relegation yet again......very poor Wigan

.....it was going to be the start of another WIGAN rise through the leagues funded by IEC

Perhaps it's just me, but I didn't get that impression Charlz, I thought IEC's stated strategy was to try to pick up decent prospects with potential future resale value and to develop our youth players. Given the likelihood that we will be using some of our youth players this season that's in line with my expectations.
I understand and share yours (and everyone else's) disappointment re the lack of signings so far, but I never expected us to (nor wanted us to) be splashing cash all over the place to fund a promotion bid.
If Cook keeps us in the division again this season it will be a monumental achievement.

Here is an alternative to Hugill, was player of the year in the Czech league last season and top scorer too https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nikolay-komlichenko/leistungsdaten/spieler/300538/plus/0?saison=2018

6 foot 3 / 6 foot 4 so similar height and build to Hugill but probs on a third of the the salary and about a 3rd of the reported transfer fee of 3.6 million for Hugill too.

People may say its only the Czech league but Slavia Prague only narrowly lost to Chelsea in the Europa League last season over 2 legs. Plus this summer this guy has been linked to both Rangers and Galatasaray so if he is good enough to attract the attention of those two clubs then we should surely have a look as well.

Admittedly the work permit may be an issue with this guy as he is non EU, but it highlights a risk worth taking. Even if he flops the transfer fee is only 1.2 million or so and his wages probably only 10k a week. It also shows that looking in the foreign market is far more cost effective then bankrupting ourselves trying for Hugill.

Romania is another market i would look at for talent. Steaua Bucharest and Viitorul Constanta (the senior team for Georghe Hagi's academy) both have promising young players coming through at the moment and i bet transfer fees and wages are low. Meaning we arentpriced out of the market. Romania Under 21s also beat our Under 21s in the Euro Under 21s this summer too. So they have young talent worth looking at.

Scandinavia and Belgium two other markets worth a look too

Here is an alternative to Hugill, was player of the year in the Czech league last season and top scorer too https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nikolay-komlichenko/leistungsdaten/spieler/300538/plus/0?saison=2018

6 foot 3 / 6 foot 4 so similar height and build to Hugill but probs on a third of the the salary and about a 3rd of the reported transfer fee of 3.6 million for Hugill too.

People may say its only the Czech league but Slavia Prague only narrowly lost to Chelsea in the Europa League last season over 2 legs. Plus this summer this guy has been linked to both Rangers and Galatasaray so if he is good enough to attract the attention of those two clubs then we should surely have a look as well.

Admittedly the work permit may be an issue with this guy as he is non EU, but it highlights a risk worth taking. Even if he flops the transfer fee is only 1.2 million or so and his wages probably only 10k a week. It also shows that looking in the foreign market is far more cost effective then bankrupting ourselves trying for Hugill.

Romania is another market i would look at for talent. Steaua Bucharest and Viitorul Constanta (the senior team for Georghe Hagi's academy) both have promising young players coming through at the moment and i bet transfer fees and wages are low. Meaning we arentpriced out of the market. Romania Under 21s also beat our Under 21s in the Euro Under 21s this summer too. So they have young talent worth looking at.

Scandinavia and Belgium two other markets worth a look too

Yeah, it is all well and good sugesting these players and you are quite right, but we wont ever sign them, i dont think our scouts have been outside of Britain since 2017.

What annoys me the most about the window is the complete lack of a plan re our transfer strategy. Imo for a club of our stature in the game when it comes to permanent transfers (loanees are different as they tend to happen later in windows) there are 4 different strategies.

1. Look around in the lower leagues for talent
2. Look for youngsters let go by PL clubs
3. Pick up a good number of players both young and old at Championship clubs whose contracts expired.
4. Look around at some overseas leagues

For me options 3 and 4 are the best way for us to operate given our crowds, stature, budget in the game. Yet instead of picking one or two of these above strategies and sticking to them it seems we have tried mishmasing all of them and spending too long negotiating fees and wages for difficult to obtain targets.

Look at Man City, when they see a transfer is getting too pricey with regards to the agent and transfer fee and salary they walk away. We cannot be compared in terms of wealth and stature to Man City of course but we can implement a similar philosophy of trying for a player and then after a day or two if negotiations arent getting anywhere walking away and moving onto another target.

Imo we should have gone for options 3 and 4 this summer and had 2/3 targets in mind for each position we needed recruits in case negotiations didnt work out. That i think is the source of frustration for many, the lack of a plan and the fannying around when its clearly obvious and completely understandable why Pompey want a large fee for Lowe and Hugill wage situation at West Ham.