Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 6 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

If they get better offers. They will be off. Like all football players

They probably will, it's a short career and everyone wants to make the most money and play at the highest level possible. But the other factors do come into like moving away or closer to family and even how happy they are with the manager and team mates.

Both Humps and Jones have said that they enjoy it here so hopefully we can put together an offer that works for them.

problem with Kerr is that it's not worth spending a decent chunk of our wages on someone who plays in exactly the same position as Hughes. I would much rather have a Goode-style left-footed CB alongside Hughes (or Kerr if Hughes is sold). I think that would enable us to play 4 at the back more comfortably, and I really hope we stick with 4 at the back as we need that extra attacker.

I'd let Kerr go, get a loanee CB in for cover while promoting Carragher to the first team, and look for a left-footed CB with experience.

problem with Kerr is that it's not worth spending a decent chunk of our wages on someone who plays in exactly the same position as Hughes. I would much rather have a Goode-style left-footed CB alongside Hughes (or Kerr if Hughes is sold). I think that would enable us to play 4 at the back more comfortably, and I really hope we stick with 4 at the back as we need that extra attacker.

I'd let Kerr go, get a loanee CB in for cover while promoting Carragher to the first team, and look for a left-footed CB with experience.
Hughes won't be here come September 1st and I doubt we could get a better centre back for what we would pay Kerr.

With Carragher coming through we need to retain an experienced centre back.

Yeah I'd be looking to retain Kerr personally. I'd say out of him, Jones and Humphrys he is the one most likely to renew. His injury issues of the last 18 months or so may well impact what offers he gets. I'm also not expecting Hughes to be here next season especially with interest being strong already in him so prepping by getting an experienced CB like Kerr renewed would be top of my in-tray.

I see also today that Sean Raggett was released by Pompey after their promotion. Someone for us maybe to keep an eye on though you suspect half of the league will also be monitoring that one. Will be one of the prized freebies of the summer you think

As the retained lists for other clubs are being released and looking at the list of players who are potentially out of contract, there are a lot of good options. But we know that there will be certain players on frees that are more and less realistic for us. So looking at the pool of players we've got a decent chance of attracting or affording, I can imagine some of the below we've had a look at.

Centre Back
Sam Sherring, 23, Northampton
Alex Hartridge, 25, Exeter
Sam Hughes, 27, Burton
Sean Raggett, 30, Portsmouth
Dan Happe, 25, Orient
Terell Thomas, 28, Charlton
Warren O'Hara, 25, MK Dons
Jacob Bedeau, 24, Morcambe
Luke Offord, 24, Crewe
Zac Williams, 20, Crewe
Will Wright, 26, Crewe

Left Back
Ben Williams, 25, Cheltenham
Rio Adebisi, 23, Crewe

Right Back
Joe Raffety, 30, Portsmouth
Liam Bennett, 22, Cambridge
Tummise Sobiwale, 25, Shrewsbury
Lasse Sorensen, 24, Lincoln
Joel Senior, 24 Morcambe

Def / Centre Mid
Marcus McGuane, 25, Oxford
Shawn McWilliams, 24, Northampton
Harry Kite, 23, Cheltenham
Mark Helm, 22, Burton
Lee Evans, 29, Portsmouth
Joe Powell, 25, Burton
Elliot Watt, 24, Salford
George McEchran, 22, Swindon
Cameron McGeehan, 29, Colchester
Greg Docherty, 28, Hull
Will Vaulks, 30, Sheff Wed
Idris El Mizouni, 23, Ipswich

Right Wing
Jordan Gibson, 26, Carlisle
Luke Moyleux, 26, Doncaster

Left Wing
Will Ferry, 23, Cheltenham,
Theo Archibald, 26, Orient
Nick Tsaroulla, 25, Crawly
Ronan Curtis, 28, Wimbledon
Jack Nolan, 22, Accrington
Jordan Garrick, 25, Forest Green
Mickel Miller, 28, Plymouth

Attacking Mid
Daniel Mandroiu, 25, Lincoln
JJ McKiernan, 22, Morcambe
Noah Chilvers, 23, Colchester
Ben Woodburn, 24, Preston
Panache Camara, 27, Ipswich

Striker
Gasan Ahadme, 23, Ipswich
Jonson Clarke-Harris, 29, Peterborough
Shayne Lavery, 25, Blackpool
Ruel Sotiriou, 23, Orient
Daniel Udoh, 27, Shrewsbury
Will Evans, 26, Newport
Tyrees Campbell, 24, Stoke

It's worth baring in mind players under 24 would potentially require a tribunal / compensation fee. Those are generally not massive but still wouldn't be completely free.

Older players that could be worth a look
CB - Martin Kelly, 33, West Brom
CM - Tom Carroll, 31, Exeter
CF - Tom Bradshaw, 31, Millwall
CF -Chris Martin, 35, Bristol
CF - James Collins, 33, Derby
CF - Sam Vokes, 34, Wycombe
CF - Matt Smith, 34, Salford

Potential Loans
DM - Bosun Lawal, 20, Celtic
CM - Freddie Potts, 20, West Ham
CM - Marc Leonard, 22, Brighton
CM -Lewis Warrington, 21, Everton
AM - Ryan Trevitt, 21, Brentford
AM - Luke Harris, 19, Spurs
CF - Michael Mellon, 20, Burnley
CF - Kieron Bowie, 21, Fulham
CF - Shaq Forde, 21, Watford
CF - Joe Taylor, 21, Luton
CF - Dale Taylor, 20, Forest
CF - Kion Etete, 22, Cardiff

I'm sure there will be plenty of others from Prem sides youth teams, non league, SPL and maybe even further afield. Maybe even approaches for players I left off this list because I thought they were out of reach. There may even be some players still under contract we make offers for. But whatever happens it'll be interesting to see what happens as I imagine we'll probably bring in around 10 new faces.

Last edited:
I noticed Daniel Sinanni barely played this season in Germany, so I wonder if Maloney would have any interest in looking at him again as he'd probably have a good chance of getting him.

He flattered to deceive in the Championship but thought he looked like he had ability to do well in L1.

Yeah I'd be looking to retain Kerr personally. I'd say out of him, Jones and Humphrys he is the one most likely to renew. His injury issues of the last 18 months or so may well impact what offers he gets. I'm also not expecting Hughes to be here next season especially with interest being strong already in him so prepping by getting an experienced CB like Kerr renewed would be top of my in-tray.

I see also today that Sean Raggett was released by Pompey after their promotion. Someone for us maybe to keep an eye on though you suspect half of the league will also be monitoring that one. Will be one of the prized freebies of the summer you think

Everyone has been raving about Ronnie Edwards at Peterborough for the last few years, he's had 1 full Championship season and 2 full L1 seasons plus quite a lot of games for England U19 and U20s. Which is a fair bit more than Tickle and Hughes have despite them being the same type of age. But he still hasn't moved yet as it seems no one is willing to pay the supposed 8m asking price for his potential. No one outside the Prem could afford that, the bottom end of the Prem can probably get more proven players at a higher level for that size of money and the top clubs have loads of their own youngsters who wont cost them that. I'm not sure if we'd ask for quite that much but i think since Danson isn't desperate for money and both players are under long term deals we'll be looking for a healthy fee and not be bullied.

So along those same lines I could see us keeping Tickle and Hughes as we may just be asking for more than anyone is willing to pay for players with only 1 full L1 season under their belts. They will obviously both move on to bigger and better things but i think I think we might keep hold of them for a little longer yet.

Last edited:
I'm really not that enthused by picking up the rejects of CCC and L1 teams who's career trajectories are likely on a downward trend. I don't think we've actually got a great history in picking up these kinds of free-agents. I also think if we want these kinds of players then instead we can keep Tom Pearce or Josh Magennis (for example) who are solid L1 level pros and that will show our lack of ambition for the future.

Instead I'd be looking at PL or top CCC clubs who are releasing youngsters with loan experience (e.g. a Matt Smith) or prospects from NL and L2 who are on the up and could be picked up for relatively small amounts - e.g. Cardwell from Southend etc. Or Mika Biereth from Arsenal as a loan maybe.

Everyone has been raving about Ronnie Edwards at Peterborough for the last few years, he's had 1 full Championship season and 2 full L1 seasons plus quite a lot of games for England U19 and U20s. Which is a fair bit more than Tickle and Hughes have despite them being the same type of age. But he still hasn't moved yet as it seems no one is willing to pay the supposed 8m asking price for his potential. No one outside the Prem could afford that, the bottom end of the Prem can probably get more proven players at a higher level for that size of money and the top clubs have loads of their own youngsters who wont cost them that. I'm not sure if we'd ask for quite that much but i think since Danson isn't desperate for money and both players are under long term deals we'll be looking for a healthy fee and not be bullied.

So along those same lines I could see us keeping Tickle and Hughes as we may just be asking for more than anyone is willing to pay for players with only 1 full L1 season under their belts. They will obviously both move on to bigger and better things but i think I think we might keep hold of them for a little longer yet.
It helps that we have a wealthy owner. They would be worth more as Championship players so I would keep them

I'm really not that enthused by picking up the rejects of CCC and L1 teams who's career trajectories are likely on a downward trend. I don't think we've actually got a great history in picking up these kinds of free-agents. I also think if we want these kinds of players then instead we can keep Tom Pearce or Josh Magennis (for example) who are solid L1 level pros and that will show our lack of ambition for the future.

Instead I'd be looking at PL or top CCC clubs who are releasing youngsters with loan experience (e.g. a Matt Smith) or prospects from NL and L2 who are on the up and could be picked up for relatively small amounts - e.g. Cardwell from Southend etc. Or Mika Biereth from Arsenal as a loan maybe.

The majority of the best L1 and L2 players out of contract were wanted by their club but they rejected an offer to stay, rather than they were not wanted.

But i don't think 1 or 2 over 30's on 1 year contracts is a bad thing, it's just picking the right ones. A bit like McMannaman was for us this season.

As the retained lists for other clubs are being released and looking at the list of players who are potentially out of contract, there are a lot of good options. But we know that there will be certain players on frees that are more and less realistic for us. So looking at the pool of players we've got a decent chance of attracting or affording, I can imagine some of the below we've had a look at.

Centre Back
Sam Sherring, 23, Northampton
Alex Hartridge, 25, Exeter
Sam Hughes, 27, Burton
Sean Raggett, 30, Portsmouth
Dan Happe, 25, Orient
Terell Thomas, 28, Charlton
Warren O'Hara, 25, MK Dons
Jacob Bedeau, 24, Morcambe
Luke Offord, 24, Crewe
Zac Williams, 20, Crewe
Will Wright, 26, Crewe

Left Back
Ben Williams, 25, Cheltenham
Rio Adebisi, 23, Crewe

Right Back
Joe Raffety, 30, Portsmouth
Liam Bennett, 22, Cambridge
Tummise Sobiwale, 25, Shrewsbury
Lasse Sorensen, 24, Lincoln
Joel Senior, 24 Morcambe

Def / Centre Mid
Marcus McGuane, 25, Oxford
Shawn McWilliams, 24, Northampton
Harry Kite, 23, Cheltenham
Mark Helm, 22, Burton
Lee Evans, 29, Portsmouth
Joe Powell, 25, Burton
Elliot Watt, 24, Salford
George McEchran, 22, Swindon
Cameron McGeehan, 29, Colchester
Greg Docherty, 28, Hull
Will Vaulks, 30, Sheff Wed
Idris El Mizouni, 23, Ipswich

Right Wing
Jordan Gibson, 26, Carlisle
Luke Moyleux, 26, Doncaster

Left Wing
Will Ferry, 23, Cheltenham,
Theo Archibald, 26, Orient
Nick Tsaroulla, 25, Crawly
Ronan Curtis, 28, Wimbledon
Jack Nolan, 22, Accrington
Jordan Garrick, 25, Forest Green
Mickel Miller, 28, Plymouth

Attacking Mid
Daniel Mandroiu, 25, Lincoln
JJ McKiernan, 22, Morcambe
Noah Chilvers, 23, Colchester
Ben Woodburn, 24, Preston
Panache Camara, 27, Ipswich

Striker
Gasan Ahadme, 23, Ipswich
Jonson Clarke-Harris, 29, Peterborough
Shayne Lavery, 25, Blackpool
Ruel Sotiriou, 23, Orient
Daniel Udoh, 27, Shrewsbury
Will Evans, 26, Newport
Tyrees Campbell, 24, Stoke

It's worth baring in mind players under 24 would potentially require a tribunal / compensation fee. Those are generally not massive but still wouldn't be completely free.

Older players that could be worth a look
CB - Martin Kelly, 33, West Brom
CM - Tom Carroll, 31, Exeter
CF - Tom Bradshaw, 31, Millwall
CF -Chris Martin, 35, Bristol
CF - James Collins, 33, Derby
CF - Sam Vokes, 34, Wycombe
CF - Matt Smith, 34, Salford

Potential Loans
DM - Bosun Lawal, 20, Celtic
CM - Freddie Potts, 20, West Ham
CM - Marc Leonard, 22, Brighton
CM -Lewis Warrington, 21, Everton
AM - Ryan Trevitt, 21, Brentford
AM - Luke Harris, 19, Spurs
CF - Michael Mellon, 20, Burnley
CF - Kieron Bowie, 21, Fulham
CF - Shaq Forde, 21, Watford
CF - Joe Taylor, 21, Luton
CF - Dale Taylor, 20, Forest
CF - Kion Etete, 22, Cardiff

I'm sure there will be plenty of others from Prem sides youth teams, non league, SPL and maybe even further afield. Maybe even approaches for players I left off this list because I thought they were out of reach. There may even be some players still under contract we make offers for. But whatever happens it'll be interesting to see what happens as I imagine we'll probably bring in around 10 new faces.
Those you indeed mention are from the EFL. However as you say, there may indeed be gems from the PL clubs a la Matt Smith