Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 83 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthony Scully’s name has been mentioned from time to time on our message board (Ready to Go) as a possible signing. Do you folks think he could make it at championship level and, if so, what role(s) could he fill? How much do you value him at?

Anthony Scully’s name has been mentioned from time to time on our message board (Ready to Go) as a possible signing. Do you folks think he could make it at championship level and, if so, what role(s) could he fill? How much do you value him at?
Last January some of us were hoping for nearly 2 million, then his form tailed off and then many would have been happy with 500k. He's scored some goals this season though. He's a left back's dream partner because he works hard helping out defensively, and he's got a good scoring record. The problem is that even though he's not slow, he's not that fast either and lacks height and strength. Part of me wonders if he's always destined to be a good League 1 player rather than a Championship one.

People will tell you what he can't do...but he does score goals. Works hard out of possession. Could he make it at Championship level? Depends whether goals are an important commodity in the Championship.😉

Plays on left of a front three usually for us.

Just make sure you don't under bid for him and miss out!!

Someone linked the Sunderland interest on FB and all the so called Lincoln fans piled on basically saying get rid. I mean, top scorer last 2 seasons and so far this, mind boggles sometimes.
Oh and someone said take Poole with you 😨

Sunderland’s manager has been given permission to speak to Stoke.

I wonder if a change in manager will water down their interest in Scully?

I remember MA saying that free agents are a waste of time because they have had no pre-season and take until November to gain any form of match fitness, by which time the January transfer window is about to open.

For every Neal Eardley, there are 20 Cameron Stewarts.

I remember MA saying that free agents are a waste of time because they have had no pre-season and take until November to gain any form of match fitness, by which time the January transfer window is about to open.

For every Neal Eardley, there are 20 Cameron Stewarts.

I had completely erased Cameron Stewart from my memory.

Good Lord.

In the current Lincoln team, I would value him as essential to maintaining our league one status. In my opinion, we will be down without his goals (unless we replace him) because we have very little goal scoring threat outside of him.

Whether he’d be a valuable asset in the Championship though is another question.

Yes and if any premier scouts peruse this board I think he’s at that level and would be a steal at 25 million.
In all seriousness though I think this is his limit but would wish him all the best as an ex-Imp if he goes.

Apparently nailed on. Could also effect them loaning out Diamond say

Could do without more blockers to signings - definitely don't think the movement has happened as quickly as hoped. With the bank hol, early next week might be a scramble!

Cant blame the club or Anthony if the move happens. Would he get much game time is another question. I think he will be a big part of Lincoln if he stays . However i think we will still be ok if he goes. House kendall garrick hopper and Danny m will contrubute goals imo

We can't afford to lose Scully. He scored and assisted in quite a number of our total amount of goals scored last season and is already doing the same this season although outside his assists and goals thus far he hasn't been been in top form and there's still a lot more to come from him.

Obviously if he gets an offer he will go mainly because of the final implications for him but we need to be making sure we get minimum £500k to £700k. He scores and makes goals and that is something that is very, very difficult to replace.

Scully has a very good scoring record (37 in 104 games) considering his age and the fact that he has often been used as a winger. Only 46 players have scored more goals for Lincoln, and in the next few months he will almost certainly overtake the likes of Tony Cunningham, Jock Dodds, Gareth Ainsworth, Glenn Cockerill and Derek Bell in that list. If some of those players are viewed as club legends, so must Scully be.

Not old enough to have seen Jock Dodds, but he certainly wasn't in the same calibre as Glenn Cockerill, one of the best box to box midfielders to have graced our turf. No where near as gifted as Ainsworth, maybe up there with Cunningham & Bell but never had the same impact on the game as them 2 or put in the same effort.

Not old enough to have seen Jock Dodds, but he certainly wasn't in the same calibre as Glenn Cockerill, one of the best box to box midfielders to have graced our turf. No where near as gifted as Ainsworth, maybe up there with Cunningham & Bell but never had the same impact on the game as them 2 or put in the same effort.
Sometimes it is the number of appearances or the number of goals scored that makes a player a club legend; take Grant Brown, for example - our record appearance holder, but was he one of our best players ever in terms of ability? Not even close, and perhaps we can say the same about Scully. It does depend on how long he stays and how many more goals he scores, I suppose.

On the other hand, Jock Dodds was probably the greatest player ever to appear for Lincoln, his signing in 1948 caused a sensation. A true legend on and off the pitch, and one of the greatest in Blackpool and Sheffield United's histories too.

Status
Not open for further replies.