Steve Evans Requests Football Association Simulation Action | Page 7 | Vital Football

Steve Evans Requests Football Association Simulation Action

Michael Owen played quite a bit more than 27 times for England. I think the reference is to Francis Lee.
Yep Franny Lee was about the first English player labelled as a frequent diver. 2 of England’s and Liverpool‘s so called Lillywhite Boys Michael Owen and Steve Gerard were 2 of the biggest divers in the game. Both blatantly dived to win World Cup penalties against Argentina and were glorified in the media as heroes.

Few mentions of Gordon Hobson
In his prime was up there as one of City’s finest but he did have a bit of a mean streak, he could mix it with the best. Vaguely remember him kneeing his marker in the b*ll*cks possibly at Chesterfield. He was sent off.

at the risk of repeating myself...
No one has deceived the referee, a foul was committed, the referee gave a foul.
deception would be if no foul was committed and a player attempted to convince the referee that a foul had been committed.
A rule covering exaggeration would be something different, and would cover this, but apparently doesn’t exist.

Exaggeration is a deception.

To take the Brennan example on Friday.

His shirt was slightly tugged, the real effect of this was to fractionally impede /alter his path.

Brennen exaggerated the impact of this foul, to also include being struck down as though hit by a truck.

This wasn't done for any other reason than to deceive the referee that the effect of the foul was greater than it was.

Exaggeration is a deception. "an attempt to deceive".

Exaggeration is a deception.

To take the Brennan example on Friday.

His shirt was slightly tugged, the real effect of this was to fractionally impede /alter his path.

Brennen exaggerated the impact of this foul, to also include being struck down as though hit by a truck.

This wasn't done for any other reason than to deceive the referee that the effect of the foul was greater than it was.

Exaggeration is a deception. "an attempt to deceive".
A couple of nice exaggerations there. )))
according to the laws of the game though teeny weeny foul and huge big nasty foul... it is still a foul. slight shirt tug in the box (foul, penalty), hit by a truck in the box (also a foul and a penalty - if the opposition are playing a Volvo at right back). Still not sure how the referee was deceived, but how about we agree you are right and move on?

A couple of nice exaggerations there. )))
according to the laws of the game though teeny weeny foul and huge big nasty foul... it is still a foul. slight shirt tug in the box (foul, penalty), hit by a truck in the box (also a foul and a penalty - if the opposition are playing a Volvo at right back). Still not sure how the referee was deceived, but how about we agree you are right and move on?
I wonder then for what purpose the defender pulled his shirt - I can only conclude that it was to put him off his run through either unbalancing him or distracting him. As for exaggerating, without doing so, would the referee necessarily notice - or might the ref interpret it as OK if he hadn't gone down?

And I think I'm on record, possibly for the Sunderland game, saying that we shouldn't give the ref decisions to make.

All sportsmen bend the rules .Play to win at all costs is the aim of any contest . Gillingham were at it all match and so were we. Twenty two proffesional footballers attempting to gain 3 points by by fair or foul means. . Achieving promotion to the Championship is becoming more than a dream now , it is a possibility . A few more dodgy penalties please .
'Did somebody say just cheat ?'

Yep Franny Lee was about the first English player labelled as a frequent diver. 2 of England’s and Liverpool‘s so called Lillywhite Boys Michael Owen and Steve Gerard were 2 of the biggest divers in the game. Both blatantly dived to win World Cup penalties against Argentina and were glorified in the media as heroes.
I heard with Gerrard it was more a case of he was prone to slipping on his derriere.

Seems Evans has had a phone call from the ref apologising for getting the penalty wrong!. Can we not get an apology for him incorrectly not allowing our 4th goal then?!

"Gillingham boss Steve Evans says he’s received an indirect apology from referee Samuel Barrott after awarding opponents Lincoln City a controversial penalty. "

Guess that means he can't score from it, since it's indirect. :grinning:

The only way that this can be stopped, is if all shirt pulling was penalised by the awarding of a free kick (or penalty if the incident happened in the box). How often have we seen defenders try to take Matt Rhead's shirt off him during a game and the foul not be given. A foul is a foul where ever it is committed. If the referees started to apply the rules every time a foul was committed, the pulling of shirts would drastically be reduced. The rules are there already, we just need the Refs to start applying them.

What annoys me is when commentators or managers complain about being on the wrong end of a 'soft' penalty. If a foul occurs it should be penalised with a free kick/penalty to the opposing team. There is nothing in the rule book stating that a penalty can not be awarded for a foul that is deemed to be soft

My pet hate is when there are different standards applied for fouls inside or outside the box.

On balance I would rather the bar be set a little higher for challenges to be penalised. I know that brings with it all the problems of subjectivity and consistent application but once players got used to it I believe it would go some way to cutting out diving and also bring more flow to the game.

Taking Stockbridge last night as an example; I got the impression the players knew that if they threw themselves to the floor outside the box there was a good chance of picking up a cheap free kick whereas the same action in the box would not have resulted in a penalty.

My pet hate is when there are different standards applied for fouls inside or outside the box.

On balance I would rather the bar be set a little higher for challenges to be penalised. I know that brings with it all the problems of subjectivity and consistent application but once players got used to it I believe it would go some way to cutting out diving and also bring more flow to the game.

Taking Stockbridge last night as an example; I got the impression the players knew that if they threw themselves to the floor outside the box there was a good chance of picking up a cheap free kick whereas the same action in the box would not have resulted in a penalty.

I agree with your sentiments about challenges and I think the better referees are starting to do this, recently I’ve seen players drop to the floor simply because they’ve been unable to shake an opponent off and then pleading with the referee to give a foul, but when he doesn’t they’re soon on their feet chasing back. I like those referees in general play who don’t give unnecessary free kicks and merely wave ‘play on’.
After a while players realise that this ref isn’t going to be fooled by such antics and stop doing it. The same goes for incidents in the box, do we really want more interventions from officials in the penalty area, we’ve already got the dubious giving of penalties when a ball, deflected or not, hits a defenders arm, do we really want to start giving out red cards for the very subjective view that someone may have dived or exaggerated a challenge. Again I’d much rather referees only give penalties when they’re a stone cold certainty and not when they’ve merely been breathed on.

Simple solution is to give a yellow card for exaggeration, wherever the action takes place on the pitch.

So a player who unnecessarily goes down like they have been shot, or makes an overstated dive, or fabricates multiple rolls is booked, even though they may get the freekick or penalty in their team's favour.

Except players might then earn less free kicks and penalties and their manager and us lot would then be less than happy with them.
If someone takes a dive with no contact at all then fair enough, deal with them, but if a player is being pulled back, shoved, challenged etc, then they should not be done for diving.

Except players might then earn less free kicks and penalties and their manager and us lot would then be less than happy with them.
If someone takes a dive with no contact at all then fair enough, deal with them, but if a player is being pulled back, shoved, challenged etc, then they should not be done for diving.
When you are running it does not take much to move your centre of gravity and you will lose your balance